Unconventional Uses for Basic Superpowers

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Storage opened and closed at different heights (different gravitational potential energies) actually shouldn't create or destroy energy, even on an Earth-like world. It simply gets added or subtracted and from the internal heat energy of the object in question, or possibly the converted energy depletes the mana used to sustain the spell or scatters it in the user's immediate vicinity. Gravity in particular is an EXTREMELY weak force; the energy required to teleport (or store and release) a bucket of water a kilometer into the sky would only change the water temperature by about 4 degrees F (in Earths' gravity), hardly a noticeable difference if we're just going from town to town. Certainly a decent effect if we take that bucket from sea-level to a mountaintop, but our storage user would more likely be delirious from hypoxia at that point. If we go the mana route, considering the ease of launching a 10MP fireball, it might use half a point to balance out the height difference. A being capable of dimensional storage could feasibly never notice this effect.
I like the idea of item storage being a common type of magic, and then Essac Newtin randomly goes, "Hey, why does my spell take one more point of mana when I use it at a different elevation?"

And thus, gravity was discovered.

D

Deleted member 45782

Share an unconventional use you would have if you were suddenly obtained a common super power. For example, I have never really wanted to fly, however I thought if I were ever to obtain the superpower, I would have a use for it. I would dress as various scary monsters, then late at night, I would fly to kids 2nd story bedroom windows and scratch at it until they woke up and saw me; Then after I terrified them, I would fly away. It's a public service! I would help kids keep their belief in the magical unknown.... The dark and terrifying magics to be sure, but their world's would be full of possibilities! 😂😂😂
Damn. That flying would be good to speed up and away from all the traffic jam.

The only thing I can think of atm is if I acquire superman's laser beams all of a sudden, and how to microwave my food with my eyes only. Saves time running and waiting for the microwave. -from my tired brain.

DesiRable

I mean, even the most seemingly basic and limited superpower can be incredibly OP if applied creatively enough, in accordance with the rules which govern it. For instance, in My Hero Academia, Deku's mom's 'Attraction of Small Objects' Quirk/superpower is widely deemed to be one of the most useless and pathetic powers around, only capable of pulling a child's action figure about a foot towards her grasp in one motion. But according to her wiki, there is no lower limit to the size of 'small objects' she can use it on, and the acceleration imparted by it's supposed to be exponentially weaker the larger that the 'small object' she's using it on is (i.e, the greater its volume is)- with both the weight/mass of said 'small object', and the range/distance between said object and herself, supposedly being total non-factors. So looking at this seemingly pathetic show of power, in episode one of that show:

According to the rules which supposedly govern her powers (which also dictate, by implication, that it's exponentially stronger the smaller that the objects she's using it on are), in a single motion, it'd actually require the same level of exertion (i,e. virtually no effort) from her to hold a barrel in her hands, and propel 0.50 caliber bullets (c.100x smaller than the action figure) through it at a projectile velocity of roughly 500 km/h. Or to propel 5mm caliber bullets (c.1450x smaller than the action figure) in the same manner, at a projectile velocity of 7,250 km/h. Or, for that matter, to use it on people's eyeballs (c.60-64x smaller than the action figure) and pop them out out of their sockets at a speed of 300-320 km/h; or even more scarily, on people's inner ear-bones (c.12,000x smaller than the action figure) and pluck them out at 60,000 km/h (for reference, that's around 1.5x the escape velocity required to launch things into deep space from earth's surface). Food for thought...