Unrevised rules for Story Collab if it interests anyone.

Carpio

Basically, this follows War for Rayuba. My plan is for two teams of authors. Everyone creates their own character(not to OP, this will be regulated) and the teams fight each other. We can create a discord 4 this as many of us have it. The fight will go down like this:

1. People from each side are chosen to send their character to fight the character from the other.
2. A terrain is chosen based on a map(to keep it simple we'll use the earth and geoguessr but shove in some fantasy elements).
3. Each side tries to write a unique character fight with the other side's character(will be a 2-week time limit to write a character fight.)
4. We give it to fans to decide which story is part of the main lore and which is technically an AU. (Will be polls based on the story.)

These are the backbone, and the reason I am posting this is to see what you guys would like to add, to change it, and make you interested in trying it. This is 100% riped-off War for Rayuba, but hey "There is no rule that says an imitation cannot defeat the original." Let's give it a shot, it'll be fun. Also will start a half public account to publish this if people seem interested. Anyways we can flesh out more later.

Jemini

Not much into the battle tournament type plotline.

For getting effective collabs together, a good resource to look at might be what the Royal Road writing community does sometimes for April Fools specials. There are small groups of around 6 writers who will all collab together. They write a story that has as many chapters as there are writers, and each chapter is written by a different writer.

The writer of Azaranth Healer has participated in it 2 years in a row so far. I can link to the relevant 1st chapters of each of them.

1st collab, only 2 writers. https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/16946/azarinth-healer/chapter/475982/chapter
2nd collab, 6 writers. https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/2...that-one-time-i-was-involved-in-the-summoning

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Nvm original message, I didn't read

Ooh, so basically Wars for Rayuba: SH edition? I'd be down for something like this. But I see a big problem with the judging tbh, with the nonexistent fans and all.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I'm more into romance and comedy than fighting. Plus, I don't do discord, so this really wouldn't be my thing. I would need something I could check in on like once a day at a time of my choosing, like when my baby is napping or my husband is watching him and I've finished the other things I need to do.

I hope other people have fun with it, though!

glenn-fletcher

Hey, I'm more than interested to join this. I'm getting back into writing and a little experiment like this sounds fun.

I've tried out something like this before. Just to suggest some rules...

1. Each character should have a single chapter written by their author that serves as their backstory. This could also be how people sign up for the writing project - in order to join, you need to write a 1500-2000 word chapter outlining your character's motivations, history, general personality, how they fight, etcetera. This would serve as not only an introduction to the character for the readers, but also as a quick guide other authors can refer to while writing chapters featuring them. Releasing these over time on a set schedule would also help build up an audience for the story, which would help when it comes time to vote.

2. You might want to have writers have more than one character each. Just to bulk out the roster of fighters in case not a lot of people decide to join.

3. As to how the tournament will work and how a winner will be decided in the story, you have a few options. You could implement a bracket maybe, but that might get complicated with the two teams idea. How I would do it is something like, the first team to ten victories wins, with losers being removed from the teams after the fights.

4. Defining the exact setting is going to be important. You should probably have a reason for why there's a fighting tournament going on at all - maybe the winning team all gets a single wish granted, or a bunch of money, or whatever. That way each character can have their own motivations despite being on a team. Defining the setting would also help as a "style guide" for what kinds of characters writers could submit. Is this a generic Western fantasy world? Or a more Asian-inspired wuxia one? Or is it a grimdark Warhammer kind of world? Just would make things more cohesive.

I'm just spitballing here with some ideas. Obviously a more solid ruleset can be hammered out later.

Amok

grblbrbl
Still interested, seems fun even if it becomes a clusterduck.

What about randomly assigning authors to teams, and having the match-ups also be randomized?

Carpio

Still interested, seems fun even if it becomes a clusterduck.

What about randomly assigning authors to teams, and having the match-ups also be randomized?
That's what I was thinking. It makes things a lot more fun.
Hey, I'm more than interested to join this. I'm getting back into writing and a little experiment like this sounds fun.

I've tried out something like this before. Just to suggest some rules...

1. Each character should have a single chapter written by their author that serves as their backstory. This could also be how people sign up for the writing project - in order to join, you need to write a 1500-2000 word chapter outlining your character's motivations, history, general personality, how they fight, etcetera. This would serve as not only an introduction to the character for the readers, but also as a quick guide other authors can refer to while writing chapters featuring them. Releasing these over time on a set schedule would also help build up an audience for the story, which would help when it comes time to vote.

2. You might want to have writers have more than one character each. Just to bulk out the roster of fighters in case not a lot of people decide to join.

3. As to how the tournament will work and how a winner will be decided in the story, you have a few options. You could implement a bracket maybe, but that might get complicated with the two teams idea. How I would do it is something like, the first team to ten victories wins, with losers being removed from the teams after the fights.

4. Defining the exact setting is going to be important. You should probably have a reason for why there's a fighting tournament going on at all - maybe the winning team all gets a single wish granted, or a bunch of money, or whatever. That way each character can have their own motivations despite being on a team. Defining the setting would also help as a "style guide" for what kinds of characters writers could submit. Is this a generic Western fantasy world? Or a more Asian-inspired wuxia one? Or is it a grimdark Warhammer kind of world? Just would make things more cohesive.

I'm just spitballing here with some ideas. Obviously a more solid ruleset can be hammered out later.
This Is great! While it's a tournament it's more about control of land, and honestly I planned to use random places on earth combined with fantasy elements so the setting can change. No limit on character designs though. Can be wuxia, sci-fi, fantasy, anything. Just the limit is they aren't OP, and they should have a more common weakness.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
That's what I was thinking. It makes things a lot more fun.

This Is great! While it's a tournament it's more about control of land, and honestly I planned to use random places on earth combined with fantasy elements so the setting can change. No limit on character designs though. Can be wuxia, sci-fi, fantasy, anything. Just the limit is they aren't OP, and they should have a more common weakness.
Here's my idea for power scaling:

Make a sample character, if the sample character can't somehow beat the character X author comes up with(can be a low chance, just not improbable like 1 in a trillion), then it isn't allowed

As a bonus, you can have the writer also write how the sample character beats their OC.

Last edited:

Carpio

Does anyone have a name idea? Anything cool they wanna call it?

glenn-fletcher

Well, what would be the explanation for this inside the narrative? Would this whole thing be set in some kind of patchwork dimension that pulls in people from other places at random? Or would it be some kind of weird fantasy world every character is isekai'd to? What's the in-universe reasoning for having characters from a bunch of different settings coexisting?

And I know they're fighting for land, but why exactly? What would each individual character have on the line? I'm just thinking here in terms of personal stakes for the characters. I'm also just asking questions I know you probably don't have the answer to at the moment, but that's just so we can get them out there for when we actually write up the rules.

Carpio

Well, what would be the explanation for this inside the narrative? Would this whole thing be set in some kind of patchwork dimension that pulls in people from other places at random? Or would it be some kind of weird fantasy world every character is isekai'd to? What's the in-universe reasoning for having characters from a bunch of different settings coexisting?

And I know they're fighting for land, but why exactly? What would each individual character have on the line? I'm just thinking here in terms of personal stakes for the characters. I'm also just asking questions I know you probably don't have the answer to at the moment, but that's just so we can get them out there for when we actually write up the rules.
In my head, my idea is a group of rebels who want world domination vs the rulers of a relatively peaceful society. It wouldn't be isekai per se but
the setting would be fantasy earth with any kind, like wuxia, fantasy, sci-fi. You can create about any character you want with any abilities and a backstory. My character's backstory is that it was a mechanical dragon created by the second holy roman emperor as a tool, but after absorbing the soul of those it slew, it formed its own ego and gained sentience. After escaping, it joined <insert name here>(which would one of two sides of the conflict).

Basically, what I'm expecting are interesting characters to be created of all sorts with their own backstory.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
In my head, my idea is a group of rebels who want world domination vs the rulers of a relatively peaceful society. It wouldn't be isekai per se but
the setting would be fantasy earth with any kind, like wuxia, fantasy, sci-fi. You can create about any character you want with any abilities and a backstory. My character's backstory is that it was a mechanical dragon created by the second holy roman emperor as a tool, but after absorbing the soul of those it slew, it formed its own ego and gained sentience. After escaping, it joined <insert name here>(which would one of two sides of the conflict).

Basically, what I'm expecting are interesting characters to be created of all sorts with their own backstory.
We should probably establish the lore beyond "one side rebelling against the other" tbh

Last edited:

Carpio

If this is the requirement I'm out. My max at the moment is 1200.
I think I could be loose-er. honestly, backstories oftentimes aren't as long. I mean the battle aspect is what is more important to me.

glenn-fletcher

We should probably establish the lore beyond "one side rebelling against the other" tbh
Yeah, another point for this is that not all submitted characters would fit cleanly on one side. I.e., if a bunch of heroes get submitted, most wouldn't want to fight for the villainous conquerers. We need to come up with a system where each person would have individual objectives and joining the teams is just a means to getting there. Or it could be something where like, if they lose there's something at risk for them.

If this is the requirement I'm out. My max at the moment is 1200.
I was just spitballing the numbers. Ultimately as long as it covers the character's main attributes, length wouldnt really be an issue. Something like 800 words even would be fine.

tridetect

I'll join. But does it have to be battle focused? I don't want other authors to get mad when their character loses.

Carpio

I'll join. But does it have to be battle focused? I don't want other authors to get mad when their character loses.
Death won't be permanent. Plus we can change the format to 2v2 or chess, heck we can even try well-written carnival games. I guess what I'm aiming for is a competition aspect. Plus both sides will try to write a more entertaining story than the other. The original post(of the story) will be anonymous. So that way it's fairer.