Unrevised rules for Story Collab if it interests anyone.

SailusGebel

Basically, this follows War for Rayuba. My plan is for two teams of authors. Everyone creates their own character(not to OP, this will be regulated) and the teams fight each other. We can create a discord 4 this as many of us have it. The fight will go down like this:

1. People from each side are chosen to send their character to fight the character from the other.
2. A terrain is chosen based on a map(to keep it simple we'll use the earth and geoguessr but shove in some fantasy elements).
3. Each side tries to write a unique character fight with the other side's character(will be a 2-week time limit to write a character fight.)
4. We give it to fans to decide which story is part of the main lore and which is technically an AU. (Will be polls based on the story.)

These are the backbone, and the reason I am posting this is to see what you guys would like to add, to change it, and make you interested in trying it. This is 100% riped-off War for Rayuba, but hey "There is no rule that says an imitation cannot defeat the original." Let's give it a shot, it'll be fun. Also will start a half public account to publish this if people seem interested. Anyways we can flesh out more later.
Why are you not talking about POV?

glenn-fletcher

Why are you not talking about POV?
This is an important question. Personally I'm more into writing in third person, but if everyone else wants to go with first, I can go with that.
Death won't be permanent. Plus we can change the format to 2v2 or chess, heck we can even try well-written carnival games. I guess what I'm aiming for is a competition aspect. Plus both sides will try to write a more entertaining story than the other. The original post(of the story) will be anonymous. So that way it's fairer.
How about the fights just aren't to the death? You could also have it where in the story all that's necessary is one person beating the other in any sort of competition. So while it's by default a fight to the knock-out, if both sides agree to play chess or throw darts or debate philosophy, it can turn out that way instead.

I think we should start a Discord for this. I made a draft of some rules for how submissions would work and what the setting could look like, but of course I'd want additional opinions before posting it publicly and asking more writers to join in.

SailusGebel

This is an important question. Personally I'm more into writing in third person, but if everyone else wants to go with first, I can go with that.
Yeah, and if someone decides to write in the second person to train themselves? I don't plan to take part in this, at least not now, yet it bothers me. There are more important questions that no one asks, yet somehow unimportant staff about lore comes first. I know that lore is important, but making rules\guidelines, even lenient ones, is more important. Like how will you pair authors? What are the deadlines? What happens when author A quits and leaves author B without a pair? What is the UPPER word limit? What are the genre restrictions? Can you use art? Etc. I know that the questions I came up with sound unimportant. That's because, as I said above, I don't plan to take part in this, and I thought of random questions.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
I'm just gonna ask a bunch of random questions about this and answer them by myself. No lore for now.

POV?

This is important, it needs to be consistent between all entries if you want a coherent story to form. Personally, first or third would do for me but if it's Second POV or Spaghetti Monster I'm out.

Requirements?

My suggestion is a short blurb about your OC traveling to your side's HQ, maybe a conversation with the driver if it's not a metal dragon. Can be as long or short as you want. There isn't a cash prize involved so imho we just need to make sure the writer can actually form coherent thoughts.

Teaming?
I'm thinking 1v1s, we're not gonna get enough people. We can discuss this later.

Battles?

A game of chess, philosophical debate or volleyball. Just make sure it's in character for both sides(ask the other writer if their edgy mcedgelord is down for a hotdog eating contes). One side must clearly come out on top, that's yours. But Anon, what if I don't want ANY sort of battle? Why'd you join a writing project based on Wars for Rayuba then?

Deaths?

I'll leave this to the organizer. In Rayuba there's an item that allows X character to kill another, we may not have the luxury of this since few participants.

Preparations?

Be prepared to have your OC lose, and maybe even get their ass kicked no matter how cool you make them out to be.

Deadlines?
There probably should be. A week or two to not be strict and not take forever.

Absentees?

If one side is absent by the deadline then obviously the other side automatically wins. If both are absent then this thing probably went down in a dumpster fire.

Moderators?

There should be people to read the aforementioned blurbs to ask some more questions and prevent powerwanking.

Copyright?

Sorry I have no expertise on this but I just thought that this was a good question.

Word limit?

I'm thinking 5,000 upper. Lower word limit is something that I'm heavily biased against so I'll leave that to someone else.

Genre?

From what I read, anything goes apparently. But the setting is fantasy earth so keep that in mind.

Art?

Please don't hire an artist for this expirimental shit. If you are an artist and you want to draw for this, well feel free.

Commitment?

Hopefully this thing won't be too heavy in that regard and just be submitting one blurb and some revisions on request of moderators and maybe some discussions over afternoon tea.

Powers?

We should probably detail all our characters powers(or at least put it in neat categories), to prevent surprise and asspulling later on. If X character has a secret power then you should say they have a secret power and what it is. Is what I'm thinking.

Pairings?

Drawing lots or something like that.

Alright that's everything I thought of for now.

glenn-fletcher

Yeah, and if someone decides to write in the second person to train themselves? I don't plan to take part in this, at least not now, yet it bothers me. There are more important questions that no one asks, yet somehow unimportant staff about lore comes first. I know that lore is important, but making rules\guidelines, even lenient ones, is more important. Like how will you pair authors? What are the deadlines? What happens when author A quits and leaves author B without a pair? What is the UPPER word limit? What are the genre restrictions? Can you use art? Etc. I know that the questions I came up with sound unimportant. That's because, as I said above, I don't plan to take part in this, and I thought of random questions.
I think it's nice to establish a the general concept of the project before getting into the real nitty-gritty of rules, which will need to be adapted depending on circumstances like how many writers we get, how we decide the tournament should work in-universe, etcetera. Even then, most of these are pretty easy answers which @Anon_Y_Mousse covered pretty well. But I'll also give my thoughts on the things you and some other people brought up.

POV
I think going for third person would be best. Jumping between first person viewpoints every chapter might be kind of hard to follow, and given that this is a story that will naturally have a lot of characters with their own individual goals, the ability of a writer to tackle the inner thoughts of multiple characters at once (something allowed by third person writing, but not first person so much) will probably be pretty important. First person could be good for giving each individual contestant their own "voice," but I just think third person allows for more versatility in how things are presented.

Obviously we wouldn't do second person, lol. I'm also not saying we have to do it third person. Just putting my vote in for that.

Deadlines
Probably something like a week and a half, maybe two weeks for each fight people need to write. I think that'd be enough for anyone invested in the project.

Pairing Authors
I'd assume we'd be doing a random draw for the first round of fights, then each one after that is decided by however we decide the tournament/series of fights progresses in the story.

Dropouts
The person who doesn't drop out wins by default, but still needs to write their own side of the story. Simple as that really. I guess if we get a double drop out, we'd just have some other writer tackle that fight and decide which character wins by coin flip? That scenario is something we'd need to address after it happens.

Art
If someone wants to make art, sure, they can go ahead and implement art if they want. But they still need to get their chapter out by the deadline. That's really what matters.

Word Limits / Maximums
I think there should be something like a 500-ish word limit for the introductory chapter someone writes for their submission. Aside from that, fights can be as long or as short as the writer wants. Remember, how this will work is that two writers will each write their own version of the same fight, it'll be released as a single chapter, then the audience votes on a poll for which fight they want to take as the legitimate continuation of the story. I think allowing flexibility in length will also allow more creativity on the author's end.

Genre
I think this is the reason why we need to address some lore right off the bat, actually. Again, we should keep things loose to promote creativity, but we also need to have a defined setting at the end of the day. Personally, I think we should just restrict it to a general "fantasy" theme (if we're going with fantasy) and not flesh out the setting to the point where people feel constrained by it.

Last edited:

vish

Legendary Member
I think it's nice to establish a the general concept of the project before getting into the real nitty-gritty of rules, which will need to be adapted depending on circumstances like how many writers we get, how we decide the tournament should work in-universe, etcetera. Even then, most of these are pretty easy answers which @Anon_Y_Mousse covered pretty well. But I'll also give my thoughts on the things you and some other people brought up.

POV
I think going for third person would be best. Jumping between first person viewpoints every chapter might be kind of hard to follow, and given that this is a story that will naturally have a lot of characters with their own individual goals, the ability of a writer to tackle the inner thoughts of multiple characters at once (something allowed by third person writing, but not first person so much) will probably be pretty important. First person could be good for giving each individual contestant their own "voice," but I just think third person allows for more versatility in how things are presented.

Obviously we wouldn't do second person, lol. I'm also not saying we have to do it third person. Just putting my vote in for that.

Deadlines
Probably something like a week and a half, maybe two weeks for each fight people need to write. I think that'd be enough for anyone invested in the project.

Pairing Authors
I'd assume we'd be doing a random draw for the first round of fights, then each one after that is decided by however we decide the tournament/series of fights progresses in the story.

Dropouts
The person who doesn't drop out wins by default, but still needs to write their own side of the story. Simple as that really. I guess if we get a double drop out, we'd just have some other writer tackle that fight and decide which character wins by coin flip? That scenario is something we'd need to address after it happens.

Art
If someone wants to make art, sure, they can go ahead and implement art if they want. But they still need to get their chapter out by the deadline. That's really what matters.

Word Limits / Maximums
I think there should be something like a 500-ish word limit for the introductory chapter someone writes for their submission. Aside from that, fights can be as long or as short as the writer wants. Remember, how this will work is that two writers will each write their own version of the same fight, it'll be released as a single chapter, then the audience votes on a poll for which fight they want to take as the legitimate continuation of the story. I think allowing flexibility in length will also allow more creativity on the author's end.

Genre
I think this is the reason why we need to address some lore right off the bat, actually. Again, we should keep things loose to promote creativity, but we also need to have a defined setting at the end of the day. Personally, I think we should just restrict it to a general "fantasy" theme (if we're going with fantasy) and not flesh out the setting to the point where people feel constrained by it
I'm still up for it. Btw will you people will also be mentioning your oc's weakness or the opponent writer has to guess it on his own?

Carpio

I am making a discord for this. Though I've never made one...
Give me some time and then we can figure this all out.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
I'm still up for it. Btw will you people will also be mentioning your oc's weakness or the opponent writer has to guess it on his own?
Well, of course, or else if it's wrong and the other side wins you end up with a "wrong" interpretation of your character being canon.

I am making a discord for this. Though I've never made one...
Give me some time and then we can figure this all out.
Time to reinstall discord I guess...