Use of Text-to-Speech Reader

Do you like using text-to-speech readers?

• Total voters

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
Hi folks, I just once again used a text-to-speech reader. Just saying'. Anyway, have any of you experience losing some brain cells after listening through those monotonous voices. I feel like I'm being haunted by some AI voice in my dreams.

Just vote, I can't elaborate anymore. I'm havin' a headache.:blob_no:

JayDirex

I tried but stopped. Kind of a novelty at first. But now that Grammarly exists in a better way than it used to, I tend to run a chapter through grammarly while reading out loud.

mele21

I convert most chapters using the Microsoft Mark voice (male cortana) and listen to them while I work. I also use FoxReplace to replace words with phonetically similar words because sometimes the TTS engine doesn't get it right or spells it out.

On the flip side, it really is a pain when authors put a whole bunch of unrelated crap at the start or end of the chapter.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I've gotten used to the voice. It really helps to catch those pesky typos, so I never release a chapter without running it through a text-to-speech reader. I've been using it for years now.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
I use both. Sometimes sentences don't flow as fluently as you might think only using grammarly. Hearing it read to me out loud helps me think about the way the sentence sounds and adjust it accordingly. It might be grammatically correct but does it sound natural?

Venior

I haven't been able to find a decent text-to-speech that I've enjoyed listening to while still retaining the information, so I tend to just read myself.

I think the biggest issue is dialogue flow and suspension is completely lost using TTS, at least compared to manually reading it or using an actual human as the reader, which is a feature we don't have being unpublished.