Using music in a story

A2Remedy

I've been wanting to do this for a long time but, I just don't really know much about the topic. Are we allowed to include links to music in our stories?
I've been wanting to make a litrpg about a bard for a while and have them compete against others via a performance, sort of like a battle of the bands type where the winner is determined by the reception and how they're viewed by the judges in the technique, and etc. So, are there rules to follow with wanting to include links to music in our works? I was considering asking the artist but I probably wouldn't be responded to. Or am I thinking about this all too deeply?:blob_cringe:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
There are no rules until you accidentally use music from some indie artist who's REALLY protective of their work, then it becomes a huge legal issue.

Just make sure to screen who's music you're using to avoid getting lawsuits shoved up your ass.

LilRora

Mostly formless
There should be no problems with pasting a link. It's not like you're claiming their work for your own. Some people might be really uptight about copyright, but they won't be able to do anything if all you give a link to their music.

Though there might be some legal problems if you're taking money for the story in whatever way, because copyright (to my knowledge) prohibits using things for commercial purposes.

A2Remedy

There are no rules until you accidentally use music from some indie artist who's REALLY protective of their work, then it becomes a huge legal issue.

Just make sure to screen who's music you're using to avoid getting lawsuits shoved up your ass.

Sorry to ask, but how do I screen someone's music?

D

Deleted member 93348

I did this all the time, lmao. Songs create just the right feel and tone of a chapter, and in my author’s notes, I gave every single character a leitmotif and a brief backstory.

sage61

It's fine if you're writing and posting it as a hobby. Things get troublesome when you are or wants to earn money from your stories. Like they say, music/songs copyrights are pretty strict in usage and the law involved is complicated and not what an average individual can handle on their own. That's why even though music can help enhance the story, it's often better to just not put any music to avoid future problems.

MansonFD7

I've been wanting to do this for a long time but, I just don't really know much about the topic. Are we allowed to include links to music in our stories?
I've been wanting to make a litrpg about a bard for a while and have them compete against others via a performance, sort of like a battle of the bands type where the winner is determined by the reception and how they're viewed by the judges in the technique, and etc. So, are there rules to follow with wanting to include links to music in our works? I was considering asking the artist but I probably wouldn't be responded to. Or am I thinking about this all too deeply?:blob_cringe:

If you wish to put an insert music on your chapter, just write.

"Insert Music: your favorite artist - your favorite song"

On the top of the paragraph intro.

Simple as that.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
I've seen authors include a playlist page in their books, pretty common now. I think as long as no lyrics are quoted (without a credit) and you don't create a chip that plays when you open the book (like one of those tacky 80s greetings cards hahah) then you ought to be ok.
I do use music in my writing but I describe it, without lyrics, so nobody could ever say for sure which song it was anyway.