Using writing to deal with different addictions, an opinion.

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Recently, well, nearly 20 days ago, I decided to give up chocolate.

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, making me crave more sugar, and I don't even get that hit from it anymore either. So, I started writing longer chapters, so I won't have as many breaks during my writing session as normal. (When I'd normally go and eat something sweet.) So, for the past 20 days, I have been clean of all things sweet.

No chocolate, no cookies, no cake, no fruits, even.

Then, I decided to lose weight. In the past 2 years I have been hopping from one diet to the next. With little success. The most I lost were 10 kg in 3 months, which I got back (with interests...).

So, I began waking up at an hour, where I won't have more than one chance to get breakfast. No snacks. Just a quick coffee and tea brewing breaks, and nothing else.
Since the 16th of January this year, I have lost 4 kg and 300 grams, following the Dukan diet, and numbing my hunger pangs with writing, while I am at home, and work, at work.

So, yeah. If one is too busy writing, and they are on a self-imposed deadline, then they can ignore some addictions.

(Aren't I lucky that I don't drink or smoke? I wonder if writing would have worked with those heavy weights. What do you guys think? Should all the drug users become writers?)

But the biggest question is: What do I do with my writing addiction?

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
To be honest, as long as the "addiction" isn't life destroying, its fine.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
(Aren't I lucky that I don't drink or smoke? I wonder if writing would have worked with those heavy weights. What do you guys think? Should all the drug users become writers?)

1) I had a gambling addiction. The only way to kick it was to step away from it fully, realizing I had a problem, admitting it, and knowing not to do it. No matter how hard my brain was telling me to. Nothing else helped just the thought of knowing It was bad for me.

2) Why would you want to get rid of your writing addiction? That is the best kind of addiction! :blob_evil:

doravg

that sounds very very unhealthy
Its good progress. Besides, it was the attack phase of the diet, and I had to eat just meat.
1) I had a gambling addiction. The only way to kick it was to step away from it fully, realizing I had a problem, admitting it, and knowing not to do it. No matter how hard my brain was telling me to. Nothing else helped just the thought of knowing It was bad for me.

2) Why would you want to get rid of your writing addiction? That is the best kind of addiction! :blob_evil:
I don't want to get rid of it, even though I spend 4 hours everyday on my writing. I am thinking about switching morning writing sessions for evening writing sessions. When do you write? Mornings, or evenings?

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
When do you write? Mornings, or evenings?
Mornings! While I'm still fresh in the head! And not much needs to be done at work so I have time to write :blob_teehee: If I could do this full-time, I would write in the mornings, probably from around 8 am to 10 or 11. Then let it rest and do another session from 8 pm to midnight. The best ideas came to my head right after waking up or just before going to bed.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
numbing my hunger pangs with writing, while I am at home, and work, at work.
Please be careful with your health, this seems very dangerous.

Consider checking up with a nutricionist and making sure you aren't harming yourself with this kind of diet.

Also, remember to exercise. It's almost impossible to lose weight in a healthy manner without exercising.

D

Deleted member 54065

I love eating, hence I got fat. 110kg against a height of 165cm and a waist of 41cm is something I wanted to shed off.

So when I write, my food intake goes down significantly. I'm too focused on writing that I don't want to be disturbed until I stop writing (which is usually before sleeping for the night).

Edit: my blood sugar gets wonky all the time I write, so my insulin intake goes up too. 🤣😂

doravg

Please be careful with your health, this seems very dangerous.

Consider checking up with a nutricionist and making sure you aren't harming yourself with this kind of diet.

Also, remember to exercise. It's almost impossible to lose weight in a healthy manner without exercising.
I do my 40 minutes, 20 in the morning, and 20 in the evening, on my fitness bike every day. I have one in my room. Also, I walk everywhere. =)
I love eating, hence I got fat. 110kg against a height of 165cm and a waist of 41cm is something I wanted to shed off.

So when I write, my food intake goes down significantly. I'm too focused on writing that I don't want to be disturbed until I stop writing (which is usually before sleeping for the night).

Edit: my blood sugar gets wonky all the time I write, so my insulin intake goes up too. 🤣😂
You should check out the Dukan diet. But first go and calculate your ideal weight. Google the Dukan diet, and you will see the website. It is a high-protein diet, with almost no fat. You will even have to remove the skin off the meat. I read the book. It seems easy to follow, and is a long term kind of deal. It has to be kept for life.

(I started losing weight since 105 kg 400 grams, and am tall 170 cm. I have to say that I don't feel hunger with this diet, and I sleep peacefully.)

D

Deleted member 54065

I do my 40 minutes, 20 in the morning, and 20 in the evening, on my fitness bike every day. I have one in my room. Also, I walk everywhere. =)

You should check out the Dukan diet. But first go and calculate your ideal weight. Google the Dukan diet, and you will see the website. It is a high-protein diet, with almost no fat. You will even have to remove the skin off the meat. I read the book. It seems easy to follow, and is a long term kind of deal. It has to be kept for life.

(I started losing weight since 105 kg 400 grams, and am tall 170 cm. I have to say that I don't feel hunger with this diet, and I sleep peacefully.)
Nah, I'm pretty much a lazy ass nowadays. Being old and fat bring out the rickety bones in my body. 😂🤣

Any case, thanks!

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Write random stuff that comes to mind,not necessarily to be published

melchi

What is a custom title?
Recently, well, nearly 20 days ago, I decided to give up chocolate.

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, making me crave more sugar, and I don't even get that hit from it anymore either. So, I started writing longer chapters, so I won't have as many breaks during my writing session as normal. (When I'd normally go and eat something sweet.) So, for the past 20 days, I have been clean of all things sweet.

No chocolate, no cookies, no cake, no fruits, even.

Then, I decided to lose weight. In the past 2 years I have been hopping from one diet to the next. With little success. The most I lost were 10 kg in 3 months, which I got back (with interests...).

So, I began waking up at an hour, where I won't have more than one chance to get breakfast. No snacks. Just a quick coffee and tea brewing breaks, and nothing else.
Since the 16th of January this year, I have lost 4 kg and 300 grams, following the Dukan diet, and numbing my hunger pangs with writing, while I am at home, and work, at work.

So, yeah. If one is too busy writing, and they are on a self-imposed deadline, then they can ignore some addictions.

If not careful you could end up writing five chapters a day with this new addiction.

doravg

If not careful you could end up writing five chapters a day with this new addiction.
I already do XD... Today I am aiming for 10 chapters, seeing as it is Saturday, and I am trying to stay up to 22:00 o'clock.

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
I already do XD... Today I am aiming for 10 chapters, seeing as it is Saturday, and I am trying to stay up to 22:00 o'clock.
Bless your poor fingers. They'll all be needing their own individual candle-lit bubble baths.

As for the topic, writing has really helped me with a lot of the trauma I've accumulated in life. So I believe it can help people with an addiction, and suggest more people do it. If it works for you then enjoy your life free from chocolate. I don't think I could write enough chapters per day to keep me away from chocolate though.

doravg

I wrote the 5 chapters, 7k words in total! Now, to edit them.
Bless your poor fingers. They'll all be needing their own individual candle-lit bubble baths.

As for the topic, writing has really helped me with a lot of the trauma I've accumulated in life. So I believe it can help people with an addiction, and suggest more people do it. If it works for you then enjoy your life free from chocolate. I don't think I could write enough chapters per day to keep me away from chocolate though.
You should try. Five does the trick! =)

doravg

How long r ur chapters?!?!
Well, around 1,500 words long, but most are about 1,300 words long. I am slowly working to the point when I can put them all around 1,500 words. It is a slow-going. I spend the last year writing bite sized chapters of about 1k words, and I need to work my writing muscle into beginning to write bigger chapters. I bet it can happen, I just need the practice.