Views for Pages

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
As of how it is now. The views for chapters benefit authors who release shorter chapters than authors who release long chapters. An example would be a 6K word story having 1 chapter would have 5 readers and that would give 5 chapter view. While a 6K word story having 3 chapters that have 5 readers would have 15 chapter view.

That's why I'm suggesting for a Page View statistic along with the Chapter View statistic to help with stories where chapters tend to be longer because of either Author's planning or due to their style of writing.

Edit: I've thought about it and realise it would be hard to implement.

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
How about a tag that the author may use to suggest a page size per chapter? (does that make sense?) Sometime like short, medium, normal? I'm sure someone, somewhere, has done research into this.

*looks into the magic of the www for a solution*

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
There is also the option of unique views. Or average views of all chapters.

Raneday

tђє ฬคภ๔єгเภﻮ ฬเtςђ
hmm the idea seems nice but the problem would be on how Tony would implement it

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
hmm the idea seems nice but the problem would be on how Tony would implement it

Have raneday do it manually, and for everyone they do, their post count goes up by 1.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
One way I thought of how it would be implemented is, convert a chapter's word count into page number and if they finished reading that chapter then the the corresponding amount of page for that chapter would be added to total page view.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
okay we have a volunteer here named @lnv

Eh? As a sign of respect to Raneday, I will pass the honors to them.

One way I thought of how it would be implemented is, convert a chapter's word count into page number and if they finished reading that chapter then the the corresponding amount of page for that chapter would be added to total page view.

You mean word view count?

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
counting the number of words read instead of chapters.
Sort of but not exactly since you'll convert the number into pages to make it easier to view.

Zakyrie

I understand the perspective of writers that produce longer chapters (wanting to see more page views) and the conversion process mentioned by @Alverost seems like a clever solution.

Royalroad converts 275 words into a page (you can see it by clicking the Statistics button on the fiction page of a particular work). So, that might be a good starting point.

And why not have both chapter views and page views as separate criteria and trackable stats in the writer dashboard and story page?

On that note, I do wonder if its technically feasible, since, for me at least, on my desktop, when I load a chapter, it loads the whole thing without any demarcation which would make it hard to determine what page I'm actually on. So, unless ScribHub tracks the actual reading position in each chapter (should be feasible, since Webnovel.com does it very well on both web and mobile reading perspectives) than it might be possible to accurately convey page views.

As for what metrics to show the reader when they visit a work... dunno, but showing both will be fine right? We can leave it up to readers to decide which metric they think is more relevant (or if they even care).