Villains

aimless

Wanderer of Forums
as readers, what do you tend to look for/avoid in a villain?

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
I like it when the villain is better than the mc in a lot of aspects (and not just that he is more powerful).
I want a villain I can respect, who can fight the MC as an equal instead of just being someone who had had more time to accumulate power.
My favorite villains are ones that grow along with the hero, sometimes winning and sometimes losing, but always keeping up and maintaining their confidence.

SailusGebel

Aside from this, buttocks.

Jailbreak571

Former CEO of Kamazon. Active lurker
I like it when the villain has a huge emotional impact on the main character like shen in kung fu panda 2. What I don't like is villains that are just being evil for the sake of it like kai in kung Fu panda 3.

Agentt

Thighs
I actually like it when villains are 100% evil.
Or make them 0% evil.

100% evilness gives a quite nice perspective if you decide to dwell into it, and even if you do not, it serves as a way to focus more on the MC

Erys

Her Highness
Competency. Why wait until the hero power up before finishing them?

aimless

Wanderer of Forums
I actually like it when villains are 100% evil.
Or make them 0% evil.

100% evilness gives a quite nice perspective if you decide to dwell into it, and even if you do not, it serves as a way to focus more on the MC
Hmm, imo it depends on a few things
Competency. Why wait until the hero power up before finishing them?
That’s dumb, unless there’s a good reason for it

D

Deleted member 57675

as readers, what do you tend to look for/avoid in a villain?
Reasonable backstory that lets readers understand why a villain went on the path they did. And their character's development.

When I mean reasonable its believable. Doesn't have be realistic but, believable.

Mephi

Depth. Character depth. Nothing is worse than a villain that's too dumb and shallow to do much than idiotic moves to make the main character look good.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
I hate those typically "chinese villains" that are only there to suck and or suck MCs Long Dong.

Or when they get overly dramatic backstories only to get splatted and that's it.

Make them relatable, hateful and/or comically incompetent.

I'd take Team Rocket over Timmy the Necromancer-who-revieved-his-beloved-only-for-her-to-bone-a-skeleton-so-he-destroys-the-world-to-rid-it-of-bones sobby backstory