Vocabulary Boost?

Lorelliad

If you love me, tie my hair 🎵
Been writing much more these days. I've been genuinely enjoying it, but have found a flaw.

My vocabulary is too small. I've noticed myself repeating multiple words in a single chapter. I repeatedly search up the synonyms of said word in order to switch it up, but there comes a time when it does get tiring.

I also know that this type of things is usually honed from experiencing life, lmao. Listening to music, watching movies, talking to people...

But I don't do most of them ;)

So my question is, how does one improve their vocabulary?

Jailbreak571

Former CEO of Kamazon. Active lurker
I literally have no friends IRL. Cousins I talk with but friends I don't actively search for.

D

Deleted member 54065

Well, apart from googling synonyms, the only way is to just read more
This is good advice. I also increased my vocab by reading, and my habit of reading Wikipedia articles before I sleep helps too.

LilRora

Mostly formless
Read, listen to things, and most importantly look up new words you stumble upon, even if you can guess their meaning from context. It's easy to read a book and notice words you don't know, but if you shrug them off "because you know what they mean here", you will never remember them properly.

Last edited:

Sayu

Eugh eig
Have someone who has broader vocabulary than you do and have them review your work and ask them what to change.

Daitengu

One classic would be the "Typing of the Dead" game for Dreamcast/PS2. Not gonna tell you to do anything illegal, but after you aquire it, you can play it on emulator. Though I recommend the $20 steam version as it has a larger vocabulary.