Want to receive feedback for my story, I feel like I'm just dragging it out.

F8ofThe3World

Hello, users of ScribbleHub, anons of all ages. I have recently posted a story to the main site and have received more views than I thought I'd get, but have gotten little, if any, criticism. This makes me feel like either the grammar is crap and people don't want to keep reading, or that the story is dragging too long into the first arc. I would like to get some feedback in order to feel like I'm doing something right or to know what I could be doing better.

Here's the link: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/62289/the-familiar-of-fate/

And yes, go nuts with the criticism. Also, I know it sounds narcissistic, but I feel like this might be a good story to continue working on.

Attachments

• FamiliarOfFate.png
    FamiliarOfFate.png
    388.2 KB · Views: 99

Nixil

Honestly, nobody really cares about grammar unless it makes it unreadable/ impacts the reading experience. People are also allowed to break some grammatical rules to improve other aspects of their work, but I don't really recommend anyone doing it unless they know what they're doing and have proper grammar in the first place.
Based on the prologue, your grammar is fine. Only if you're looking to publish is when you need to fix every minor problem.

I think a lack of any reaction both negative and positive is pretty normal for any web novel that is just starting out. This might be especially true for ScribbleHub which is pretty quiet (?).

So far, I have only read the prologue therefore I can't say if there are any pacing issues. I won't be reading any further though as I personally don't find it interesting, but others will so don't be discouraged by me.

'I died didn't I?' These words would be the first spoke by this young man after his demise. He has died at the hands of his family, friends, and those he knew and despised. A goddess, however, has seemingly taken pity on him, though her reasons for doing so are not what he expects. This is a story about one soul, changing the other world and rising to fame and fortune...though, mostly just the second one.

This synopsis was not that great, in my opinion, because it just seemed so generic. There is a lack of anything to differentiate this from the thousands of other isekais. Perhaps if you could capitalise on the revenge aspect (even if there are already so many revenge stories) it would be more interesting, but anything would do. You just need to show why your story should be read over others and an example on how to do this would be to show off some world building or characters.
Now it is possible that it hasn't been planned out that far and that is fine, but I suggest changing the synopsis in the future after understanding the direction you want to take the story. Of course I'm not an expert at writing these so you could seek better help or disregard this entirely.

The liquid morphs and soon the image of an elegant woman with beautiful snow-white skin, eyes that seem to be stars that shine more beautifully than those in the sky, an elegant dress that looks to be made from the stars, and holding a large crystalline staff with a crescent moon at the top and star in the crux of the crescent stands before me.

-She’s beautiful, it’s like I'm staring at the stars in the flesh.

The prologue was quite boring to read. Typically we would have the scene of the betrayal as the prologue/ beginning as it is quite effective: easy to create empathy, establish goals/ promise (to kill the traitors), high tension scene, easier to show off writing skills. But, subverting norms is fine if done well. However, I don't think it was done that greatly.
The entire prologue is between two characters who at that moment I have no reason to care about and the subject of there conversation felt like a big exposition dump.

The quote highlighted is there because you used 'star' way too much. Of course it is ok, but it makes for an awkward read. However, it does also show off some nice writing. Sentences like these could have been used to split the monotony of the conversation if used properly.

I understand that I haven't reached the interesting parts of the story yet, but the synopsis and prologue were so off putting for me. I don't have that much time to read books either, so you can probably see why I wouldn't continue reading this. I hope you understand.
If you disagree with anything, please reply so I can learn from it.
Also your poll on the prologue is closed. If it's not needed anymore, you could consider removing it.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Hello, users of ScribbleHub, anons of all ages. I have recently posted a story to the main site and have received more views than I thought I'd get, but have gotten little, if any, criticism. This makes me feel like either the grammar is crap and people don't want to keep reading, or that the story is dragging too long into the first arc. I would like to get some feedback in order to feel like I'm doing something right or to know what I could be doing better.

Here's the link: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/62289/the-familiar-of-fate/

And yes, go nuts with the criticism. Also, I know it sounds narcissistic, but I feel like this might be a good story to continue working on.

Aiai, the well-known cunning protagonist tag. :blob_reach: I have seen this tag so often and was nevertheless left disappointed. So, what type of cunning is your character?

Sacred_Night

Honestly, nobody really cares about grammar unless it makes it unreadable/ impacts the reading experience. People are also allowed to break some grammatical rules to improve other aspects of their work, but I don't really recommend anyone doing it unless they know what they're doing and have proper grammar in the first place.
Based on the prologue, your grammar is fine. Only if you're looking to publish is when you need to fix every minor problem.

I think a lack of any reaction both negative and positive is pretty normal for any web novel that is just starting out. This might be especially true for ScribbleHub which is pretty quiet (?).

So far, I have only read the prologue therefore I can't say if there are any pacing issues. I won't be reading any further though as I personally don't find it interesting, but others will so don't be discouraged by me.

This synopsis was not that great, in my opinion, because it just seemed so generic. There is a lack of anything to differentiate this from the thousands of other isekais. Perhaps if you could capitalise on the revenge aspect (even if there are already so many revenge stories) it would be more interesting, but anything would do. You just need to show why your story should be read over others and an example on how to do this would be to show off some world building or characters.
Now it is possible that it hasn't been planned out that far and that is fine, but I suggest changing the synopsis in the future after understanding the direction you want to take the story. Of course I'm not an expert at writing these so you could seek better help or disregard this entirely.

The prologue was quite boring to read. Typically we would have the scene of the betrayal as the prologue/ beginning as it is quite effective: easy to create empathy, establish goals/ promise (to kill the traitors), high tension scene, easier to show off writing skills. But, subverting norms is fine if done well. However, I don't think it was done that greatly.
The entire prologue is between two characters who at that moment I have no reason to care about and the subject of there conversation felt like a big exposition dump.

The quote highlighted is there because you used 'star' way too much. Of course it is ok, but it makes for an awkward read. However, it does also show off some nice writing. Sentences like these could have been used to split the monotony of the conversation if used properly.

I understand that I haven't reached the interesting parts of the story yet, but the synopsis and prologue were so off putting for me. I don't have that much time to read books either, so you can probably see why I wouldn't continue reading this. I hope you understand.
If you disagree with anything, please reply so I can learn from it.
Also your poll on the prologue is closed. If it's not needed anymore, you could consider removing it.
I thought your analysis was helpful. Do you mind doing the same to my own webnovel? I've been looking for feedback as well.

F8ofThe3World

I thought your analysis was helpful. Do you mind doing the same to my own webnovel? I've been looking for feedback as well.

---------------
Thanks, dude, I had a feeling my synopsis was kind of crap. As for the prologue, I'm going the approach of leaving the backstory for later until introducing at least one of the other reincarnators to give it some depth(like in Tron Uprising when Tron sees Dyson again)

Sacred_Night

---------------
Thanks, dude, I had a feeling my synopsis was kind of crap. As for the prologue, I'm going the approach of leaving the backstory for later until introducing at least one of the other reincarnators to give it some depth(like in Tron Uprising when Tron sees Dyson again)
I don't know about that specific example lol. Haven't seen Tron often, but I think I understand what you mean. In my rewrite, I've actually culled alot of the prologue. I think it was too dialogue heavy for a web novel immediately at the beginning. Thanks for the suggestion