Wanting to rewrite an already published story. Is that okay?

LostinMovement

So, I have written something and I only have two chapters left until the end of the first arc (would be 25 chapters over all). Now, I can't help but be overwhelmed with the desire to rewrite it. I want to change some crucial terms, the prologue and the viewpoint of the narrative as whole before jumping to the next arc.
I already have about 70 readers and 8K views but I still want to rewrite it, meaning re-publish it. Is this okay ? Would it upset my readers? Should I not do it?

Last edited:

clover2218

I'd say keep the original, and rewrite it as a new submission. Put the link in your fiction so those who want to can check it out. This way, those that want to read the old version can keep reading it, while the new one can also gain readers...

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
So, I have written something and I only have two chapters left until the end of the first arc (would be 25 chapters over all). Now, I can't help but be overwhelmed with the desire to rewrite it. I want to change some crucial terms, the prologue and the viewpoint of the narrative as whole before jumping to the next arc.
I already have about 70 readers and 8K views but I still want to rewrite it, meaning re-published it. Is this okay ? Would it upset my readers? Should I not do it?
You can always rewrite the story, just remember to indicate on the chapter title on which chapter you did the changes and if possible, put the changes in the Notes for readers to understand the change in first glance.

or you can be like @clover2218 and resubmit as a new copy seeing how you sound the changes to be crucial and might lead to the story from diverging, if the changes are just minor tweaks, go with the former.

Yorth

Swordman
Hey there! I have just started posting my rewrite last week. The strategy that I used was to announce the rewrite 2 weeks before release on the main story. This helped a lot with garnering attention.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Thank you @clover2218 and @NotaNuffian for replying.
I think it might be best to keep the original and go ahead with the story as it is. I don't want to confuse my readers. and like you said @NotaNuffian, I can always rewrite it at a later note.
Hey there! I have just started posting my rewrite last week. The strategy that I used was to announce the rewrite 2 weeks before release on the main story. This helped a lot with garnering attention.
That being said, do you plan to abandon the old version? If not you can always use it to test waters and if all else fails in your new version, tell your readers to read the old version instead of the new one.

Yorth

Swordman
That being said, do you plan to abandon the old version? If not you can always use it to test waters and if all else fails in your new version, tell your readers to read the old version instead of the new one.

I already took it out actually. I feel the new one is just so much better than the old one. Much more consistent.

ludagad

Another alternative is to repost the chapters with *revision* in the title as an indicator, and it's better to repost all of them at once when you're ready with the editing. And as you repost all the chapters, you add one or two new ones. That way, no one is annoyed, you don't lose your readers and they may get tempted to re-read the story to see the changes. It really depends on how you want to do it tho. It's good that you want to polish your story further.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
If you feel like it would be better rewritten, I'd say rewrite away! Do the best for your own story! ^^)/