Was your first book bad?

Harvier

I know that some started out writing decently, as they were avid readers. But for me, who started reading when I was 12/13. It was more like, "oh, this story is good, let's write" which caused there to be one more literary gem on Wattpad, which starts something like this:

Hatsune Miku: H-Hello! *blushes*.

Y/N: lol.

What was your first book like? Embarrassing? Bad? Remember it, so you can see how much you've improved.

JollyStorm

I just posted my first work's first chapter, so i guess time will tell lol.

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
My first book will never see the light of day and for that i ak glad.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Yeah, it was pretty bad. The actual concept itself was fine, in fact I had planned it out for quite some time. But the actual writing wasn't, and I was a very cringy kid that had no idea how to write actual fantasy.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
It was mediocre. The story itself could've been good, but I wasn't a good enough author to write it well.

Toripuru-S

In terms of the story itself, the experience/process of making it, and the friend I made from it: NOPE ♥️

In terms of grammar, structural stuff, writing style: Yes 🤣, but not in a way I beat myself up over. Taking my Ls, being humble, and watching myself get better on a technical level. I am still in the process of fixing what can be fixed with that first novel.

BlackKnightX

I see lots of flaws in it, something I’m sure I could have done better, but I just leave it as is. It’s a history, a record of how I got started. I don’t find it cringe or anything. Actually, I adore it a lot. I always write my story with passion—meaning, I always have fun when I write—so whenever I reread my old story, it never fails to make me feel all those passion and emotions again. It’s the same feeling as a professional painter discovers his old, dusty crayon-drawing in the storage room, I suppose. You see the flaws, but you adore them.

Mephi

First book was pure crap. Virtually no one is good when they first start. Got to grind that [Author] skill from 1 to 100 before you can get good at it.

D

Deleted member 42060

I see lots of flaws in it, something I’m sure I could have done better, but I just leave it as is. It’s a history, a record of how I got started. I don’t find it cringe or anything. Actually, I adore it a lot. I always write my story with passion—meaning, I always have fun when I write—so whenever I reread my old story, it never fails to make me feel all those passion and emotions again. It’s the same feeling as a professional painter discovers his old, dusty crayon-drawing in the storage room, I suppose. You see the flaws, but you adore them.
i see what you did there with those apostrophes

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
I know that some started out writing decently, as they were avid readers. But for me, who started reading when I was 12/13. It was more like, "oh, this story is good, let's write" which caused there to be one more literary gem on Wattpad, which starts something like this:

What was your first book like? Embarrassing? Bad? Remember it, so you can see how much you've improved.
It was so bad-
I actually finished it though, part of me wishes I didn't

lambenttyto

Mine was not bad, but there are a lot of reasons for that. I was twenty-three when I wrote it, but I was also too scared to write at the beginning, so I spent a year reading fantasy novels and books on writing. I would interchange them; read one book on writing, if it was short, then two, and then I would read a big fat epic fantasy novel, then repeat. I read something like a hundred and ten books in the year, half of which were books on writing.

When I sat down to write, I write a quick outline in like a day or two, and then when I sat down to write, my only objective was to see if I could actually write a novel, without any care for anything else. There's a couple of other things. I wrote as fast as I could, and because I wasn't trying hard, I think that freed me in a way, and I just sort of... well I wrote a decent fifty-thousand word novel. It's still one of my proudest writing achievements, and I've written over a million words now.

There truly is something about just writing without being too clogged up with technical mumbo jumbo that caused you to freeze up and make really dumb decisions. It's called Sky Drift and you can read it on RR. I have floating steampunk cities (bioshock ripped me off :P) and I also have what amounts to Starkiller Base (which was also ripped off from my novel :P). Okay, they didn't rip me off, but I wrote those things before those movies came out, but in retrospect, it would probably seem like I ripped those things off. I didn't!!

My first was an odd book, I decided to remake it but the whole plot keeps the main character away from his friends. Forcing him to deal with his emotions by himself and not let them get the better of him.

Starting off, I went with only one idea and expanded off that, adding idea to idea to make them work, there was no outline or planning to it, just a lot of ideas bunched together. Glad to say I enjoyed my book for the most part, just need to fix the over dramatic parts of it.

zechamp

I started writing fiction a bit over a month ago, and my first piece of fiction is doing surprisingly well. I do like it - I have fun writing it and even enjoy reading bits of it. Reviews and feedback have been alright, so I'm pretty satisfied with things.
Sure, it's not perfect and has many flaws, but it has its own niche and has managed to attact some dedicated readers, which I've loved to see.