Watercolor Art

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
You're doing a great job so far!

I like the tiny bit of granulation! Honestly, I think especially with darker colors having a mix can feel nicer than just having it flat, because sometimes some of that color shines through when you have different levels of opacity. In Luca's lower robes, I can see some darker bits that have a bit of a cooler shade to it, which felt pretty neat.
Psht, I mix so much honestly... For a while, I had like a 4-ish color mix for skin LOL It looked lovely, it's just that I changed palettes and didn't bother remixing them because my vermillion is sketchy and gets moldy really fast... Even now I regularly mix a whole bunch of colors. When I don't, I do a lot of glazing LOL (like 20+ layers and 5 different colors) (admittedly, my pieces aren't exactly the most vibrant in palettes)
I’m glad I’m not the only one to mix so many colors. I like the slightly muddy feel when I mix colors or layer different colors on each other. Probably also because I currently only use a travel size palette :blob_hmm:

And you saw the different colors in Luca’s robe :blob_aww::blob_aww::blob_aww:

namio

I’m glad I’m not the only one to mix so many colors. I like the slightly muddy feel when I mix colors or layer different colors on each other. Probably also because I currently only use a travel size palette :blob_hmm:

And you saw the different colors in Luca’s robe :blob_aww::blob_aww::blob_aww:
Same! A lot of times I'm not really looking for a really vibrant color, and there are several colors that really benefit from being mixed. When I want a really vibrant red, for one, I tend to mix my vermillion with some burnt umber and yellow, if not add in alizarin crimson hue as well-- that's 4, but it makes for a really solid red that doesn't look pale even on lighter washes.

Oho, what palette? :blob_hmm:

I dooo, and it looks pretty! :blob_melt: It's subtle but I think pretty good at separating his robes from his outer robes, the way the main one is slightly warmer (more purple than black); it also works because since it's the one with the biggest area, you then have a more interesting "black" as the centerpiece. I really like how that manifests in the slightly warmer shade of "black" down by the legs, and how it contrasts with the bluish shadows there. (It's also why I asked about the blue you used; it looks like there's some fine granulation there in hues that remind me of UMB haha)

tiaf

Oho, what palette? :blob_hmm:
It’s the standard 12 half pan schmincke horadam watercolor set. (Citron yellow, cadmium yellow light, cadmium red light, permanent carmine, fine ultramarine, Prussian blue, pthalogreen, permanent green olive, lighter ocher, English Venetian red, sepia brown, ivory black)
I bought additional 4 half pans (white, brilliant purpur, burnt umbre and a reddish brown) <- I forgot where I wrote the names down :blob_teary:

I only had experience with a school watercolor set before, but wow, the pigmentation is so amazing every dried color can be reused. I don’t regret spending more money for it.

I also bought a huge watercolor tube set in sale, didn’t get to use them yet though. I’m missing a mixing palette though :sweating_profusely:

I just realized that I can take out my colors to have additional space to mix colors. Very versatile palette/case. O.O

namio

It’s the standard 12 half pan schmincke horadam watercolor set. (Citron yellow, cadmium yellow light, cadmium red light, permanent carmine, fine ultramarine, Prussian blue, pthalogreen, permanent green olive, lighter ocher, English Venetian red, sepia brown, ivory black)
I bought additional 4 half pans (white, brilliant purpur, burnt umbre and a reddish brown) <- I forgot where I wrote the names down :blob_teary:

I only had experience with a school watercolor set before, but wow, the pigmentation is so amazing every dried color can be reused. I don’t regret spending more money for it.

I also bought a huge watercolor tube set in sale, didn’t get to use them yet though. I’m missing a mixing palette though :sweating_profusely:

I just realized that I can take out my colors to have additional space to mix colors. Very versatile palette/case. O.O
SCHMINCKE!!!! Absolutely gorgeous paints, yes!!!! I'm very happy for you HAHAHA I just, it's such a beautiful watercolor! I got 3 Schmincke while I was in Germany; two full pans blues and my trusty tube of perylene violet. My only regret is that I didn't buy more while I was there tbh

You're definitely set for paints! I also got myself some cheap, large plastic palette as additional mixing space, but until you can get it I suppose you can use white plates? I really recommend that you go for better paper if you plan to upgrade any other tools, though. It makes a world of difference; it's really hard to lay flat washes on mixed media papers, for example. This was my old thing done on Hahnemuehle Britannia HP; this is on Baohong's 100% cotton HP academy paper.

Oh? Watercolor sets are always fun, what brand was it :blobspearpeek:
<-- Really likes looking at other people's stationary and art supply hauls cough

tiaf

SCHMINCKE!!!! Absolutely gorgeous paints, yes!!!! I'm very happy for you HAHAHA I just, it's such a beautiful watercolor! I got 3 Schmincke while I was in Germany; two full pans blues and my trusty tube of perylene violet. My only regret is that I didn't buy more while I was there tbh
Omg yes, they are gorgeous 😭 (I live in Germany so they are standard in every art supply shop, lucky me)

You're definitely set for paints! I also got myself some cheap, large plastic palette as additional mixing space, but until you can get it I suppose you can use white plates?
The tubes from daler rowney I bought are around 40 tubes and I also have some tubes from a korean brand whose name I don’t remember. The a simple plate won’t be enough to accommodate them all.

I’ve already set my eyes on a 50 pan palette from mijello. But the mini palettes from etchr also look enticing since I really work small. Luca and Shion were A4 and sketchbook paper, the biggest format I did until now.

It makes a world of difference;
I knew it. I already feel the difference between sketching papers >.<

I have a proper watercolor sketch pad from canson. I think I will use up that for study first before upgrading to better paper.
Really likes looking at other people's stationary and art supply hauls cough
so it’s not just me :blob_happy:

namio

Omg yes, they are gorgeous 😭 (I live in Germany so they are standard in every art supply shop, lucky me)

The tubes from daler rowney I bought are around 40 tubes and I also have some tubes from a korean brand whose name I don’t remember. The a simple plate won’t be enough to accommodate them all.

I’ve already set my eyes on a 50 pan palette from mijello. But the mini palettes from etchr also look enticing since I really work small. Luca and Shion were A4 and sketchbook paper, the biggest format I did until now.

I knew it. I already feel the difference between sketching papers >.<

I have a proper watercolor sketch pad from canson. I think I will use up that for study first before upgrading to better paper.

so it’s not just me :blob_happy:
Oof, you might need quite a bit of palettes if you plan to pour them all, then. I have no idea why palettes are so pricy, even the plastic ones... Sure they aren't that expensive, but certainly a lot more than you'd expect, given their quality >>

Hmm, you already have Schmincke, I don't think you'll get much of an upgrade from Mijello. I use their Mission Gold Burnt Umber, Shadow Green, Grey of Grey, Olive Green and Burnt Sienna. They're vibrant and I like them quite a bit, but that's because I use them as an upgrade from student grade paints Cotman. You're probably better off using the money on getting some nicer watercolor papers. Hahnemuehle's a good, readily available brand there... I haven't tried their Selection pad I got ages ago, but Britannia HP was rather nice. I really disliked Hahnemuehle Bamboo, though... But it's personal preference rather than quality issues. HP is just my preference, though. Canson, their watercolor sketchbooks tend to be made of mixed media paper, I think? It works pretty nicely for character design, I feel, since I never needed to layer much on those. Falls apart when I tried to do an underwash though cough
(Also, it's a pretty nice cheaper paper for gouache... Takes layers and layers of gouache surprisingly well)

As for Etchr, it seems to be student grade (albeit it looks like a good one, so maybe more on par with Cotman than Koi)? It'd probably feel like a downgrade from your Schmincke or even Daler Rowney.

tiaf

Oof, you might need quite a bit of palettes if you plan to pour them all, then. I have no idea why palettes are so pricy, even the plastic ones... Sure they aren't that expensive, but certainly a lot more than you'd expect, given their quality >>

Hmm, you already have Schmincke, I don't think you'll get much of an upgrade from Mijello. I use their Mission Gold Burnt Umber, Shadow Green, Grey of Grey, Olive Green and Burnt Sienna. They're vibrant and I like them quite a bit, but that's because I use them as an upgrade from student grade paints Cotman. You're probably better off using the money on getting some nicer watercolor papers. Hahnemuehle's a good, readily available brand there... I haven't tried their Selection pad I got ages ago, but Britannia HP was rather nice. I really disliked Hahnemuehle Bamboo, though... But it's personal preference rather than quality issues. HP is just my preference, though. Canson, their watercolor sketchbooks tend to be made of mixed media paper, I think? It works pretty nicely for character design, I feel, since I never needed to layer much on those. Falls apart when I tried to do an underwash though cough
(Also, it's a pretty nice cheaper paper for gouache... Takes layers and layers of gouache surprisingly well)

As for Etchr, it seems to be student grade (albeit it looks like a good one, so maybe more on par with Cotman than Koi)? It'd probably feel like a downgrade from your Schmincke or even Daler Rowney.
O.O so much information, thank you!

I don’t intend to get the colors from mijello or etchr but the mixing palettes/cases from them. The bulletproof glass of the mijello case sounds really interesting to me and it has plenty of space to mix colors. I also saw in a YouTube video how you can create your custom color selection.
8C7FA9B6-49CF-438B-8C7D-4AF5D61B0436.jpeg
The etchr is small and handy though. It fits in one hand and you can take it around to travel. The workflow is also faster with all colors in one place. :blob_cringe:
99D4F4BB-43EC-4E5E-A18B-F63B9CEB1D3D.jpeg

I’ll try hahnemuehle next. The many paper varieties really scared me.

I thought I was the only one to use gouache on watercolor paper... lmao, so I didn’t sin.