Weapon name length in correlation to their power.

beast_regards

By the anime logic, you don't shout the name of your sword.

You still usually scream the name of the magical attack. Like "Wind Scar!" or something. Which is considerably shorter.

It isn't the best utility wise, but it isn't impossibly long.

Alternatively, by anime logic, there are spells which have impossible chants, but usually have appropriately epic effects. But even in western fantasy, magic comes with incantations after all.

Considering by anime logic, not even gravity dares to interrupt your monologue or your transformation sequence, it isn't a big downside either.

Le_ther

In modern-day fantasy, we usually attribute an attack name or a weapon name to its power and/or special abilities. Though in recent years, many weapons that are incredibly OP have long and arduous names that rarely roll off the tongue easily. However, in older literature, there was a noticeable trend where the shorter the name was, the more powerful the attack and/or weapon. In martial art stories especially, the names needed to be yelled out, so the shorter but louder the name, the more powerful of an attack, while the longer(slower) and calmer names would be weaker. Now, it's the opposite with stuff like bleach having slow, soft-spoken names that just obliterate their enemies but that's something that has been ingrained into the story itself, not just some random person naming a sword. It doesn't make much sense to me personally as I would be more scared of a sword named "Glam" than I would a sword named "Bringer of destruction blade, Baphomet." That isn't to say that the latter isn't OP but I think the former would overpower it every time. Anyways, what are everyone else's thoughts on this?

Honestly having a sword with like super long name is cool and all. But short names make it easier to pronounce and adds level of mystery and sheer fear to the opponent as there is no description nor a title of the weapon itself.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Honestly having a sword with like super long name is cool and all. But short names make it easier to pronounce and adds level of mystery and sheer fear to the opponent as there is no description nor a title of the weapon itself.
That's what I'm saying.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Long weapon names help to increase the length of the bad guy's monologue.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Regardless of long or short, it must have meanings behind the name.

You can name the rapier Waterfall because the blade grants the user the ability to churn flurries of heavy sword thrusts or you can name the pendant Moon in the Pond, Shadowless Noon (yup, a chinese name butchered into english) which lets the user become intangible when attacked. The point is, whatever it says on the tin.

I prefer it to be on the nose because it is easier for my 30yo early dementia brain. I don't care about the history, I don't care about the emotion when the item/ skill was named, I care about what that thing does.

Also, made up words like Vorpal is pure BS because it feels like an event item only. Good for killing that one specific boss, absolute shite at everything else. I thought the Vorpal Sword was some magic sword (in D&D maybe) that shoots sword waves, the name turns out to be made up and it means "sharp/ dangerous sword". What kind of sword isn't dangerous?

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Short to medium length. "Calamity dagger" sounds way more of danger than "Hellbound cocytus of ephemeral eternal ice, Longdongrhomiad".

Also those names almost always get shortened to stuff like "Rho". No sane writer or reader would always use the full name, so why make this long to begin with.

melchi

What is a custom title?
This is what happens to people who use attacks with long powerup times.

Also, in modern times one can tell how much of a dick someone is by how long the order of their coffee is.

Someone who orders "Black coffee" is a stand up kind of person.

While those that order "No whip, half-soy half-almond, tepid, double-shot Carmel macchiato" tend to be jerks.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I think we're confusing name and what something is called.

A +1 returning piercing exit wound adamantine caber is basically a 200 pound log made of meteoric iron that you throw through people and it keeps going as long as it has people to hit every 10 feet, up to 100 feet, then it returns to your hand. This is what it is.

But I might name it Matilda.

My favorite weapon special ability is one-handed. Makes any weapon one handed. So I made a halfling who dual wielded the six-handed scissor swords of type 5 demon fame. Oversized. And he bought monkey grip so it could be one size even bigger. Then he would tumble to the attack, holding two triple-bladed swords that were bigger than him.

It's all about style baby.

Last edited:

Major2501

Isn't there a videogame character called Face McShooty who gives you the mission to shoot him in the face?
Borderlands. I think it was 2, can't remember off the top of my head.

My main female character in one of my stories has dual pistols named Jake and Elwood. 🤔 😆

I think I prefer shorter weapon names.

My favorite name for a weapon is probably 'No' since you can make the wielder basically giving 'No U' to everyone they fought.

WingsOfPhantasy

Tomboy Agenda Symphathizer
Cheesy/Edgy/Cringey as it is, and though it probably reeks of older stories, 90's and early 00's edge, to me any sword/blade/weapon that ends with the words 'edge', 'slayer', 'bane', or 'blade' will immediately sound stronger and better.
e.g;
Devil's Edge (Sounds fucking edgy, probably an OP sword).
Doomblade (Again, edgy. But it sounds cool to my kid brain)
Wolfsbane (Damn, should I hunt wolves with this or what?)
Knightslayer/Mageslayer (I wonder what this sword does? I have no idea? If only the sword would tell me.)
Also, shout out to any weapon that's just two words that may or may not fit mashed together; Storm + Bringer = Stormbringer

SailusGebel

I've remembered something. Paul, what do you like more, Daedalus or Buriza-Do Kyanon?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I've remembered something. Paul, what do you like more, Daedalus or Buriza-Do Kyanon?
Since one is an ancient Greek architect and the other is a heavy-ranged weapon from diablo 2, I would choose the former.