Western Reincarnated novels.

Agentt

Thighs
Stolen by @Sylvie

Reincarnation, transmigration and second chance novels are so common among translated novels that I can't imagine not being able to think of the trope (I know I'm biased after reading too many of them). So I was wondering if we had such character settings in English novels before Asian novels or anime influenced us.

Mainly, it was the influence of Buddhism in east (I think), which made it okay for us to kill a character, but this trope sounds too good for no one to have thought it in west.

Basically, unlike current online novels hosted on sites like ScribbleHub and Royalroad which are heavily influenced by Asian themes, I was wondering if there were originally English novels like this.

SailusGebel

I think there are. I know that this won't answer your question. However, there is a LOT of western published isekai books. So, I guess reincarnation is the same.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Stolen by @Sylvie

Reincarnation, transmigration and second chance novels are so common among translated novels that I can't imagine not being able to think of the trope (I know I'm biased after reading too many of them). So I was wondering if we had such character settings in English novels before Asian novels or anime influenced us.

Mainly, it was the influence of Buddhism in east (I think), which made it okay for us to kill a character, but this trope sounds too good for no one to have thought it in west.

Basically, unlike current online novels hosted on sites like ScribbleHub and Royalroad which are heavily influenced by Asian themes, I was wondering if there were originally English novels like this.
There's a western film with Whoopi Goldberg in where she is a scientist who gets transmigrated back in time to the time of King Arthur. There's even Merlin who can use magic in it.
'-'
There's a western book (I forget its name) where some archaeologists/historians are digging a site in France from the time of the 100 years war. They then get transmigrated back in time to then, with some of them even getting killed. It was also made into a film.

There's a trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay called The Fionavar Tapestry.
In that trilogy, a group of Canadian students are transmigrated into another world where they each have fated roles they didn't even know they had until the story progresses.

I imagine there are many more transmigrated stories.
Not sure on the reincarnation ones since I'm not well-read enough.
orz

X

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Well, ancient classics had heroes that were seen as the "incarnation" of a god or some even older hero afaik. So you will probably find some books with the MC having the soul of someone else, which is reincarnation just seen from a different angle.

The second chance is ye olde back to the future right there. Time travel books usually allow MC to fix a wrong they did or had in the first chapter.

So the answer to your question is most likely yes. just don't go looking for a truck.

Agentt

Thighs
Alice in wonderland
wizard of oz
None of them were exactly deaths?
Well, ancient classics had heroes that were seen as the "incarnation" of a god or some even older hero afaik. So you will probably find some books with the MC having the soul of someone else, which is reincarnation just seen from a different angle.

The second chance is ye olde back to the future right there. Time travel books usually allow MC to fix a wrong they did or had in the first chapter.

So the answer to your question is most likely yes. just don't go looking for a truck.
If MC doesn't have memories of that hero, it's just a plot armor

bloodyWriter

Isekai doesn´t necessarily mean the person died (Kumo desu ga, Nani ka? this spider thingy -> Nobody died there and it is very obviously an isekai)

So Narnia? Stargate, if you really want?

D

Deleted member 45782

Stolen by @Sylvie

Fallen series by Lauren Kate. A YA teen fic about angel falling in love, got banished. One became fallen angel and one went through many incarnations as a human but always die when she meets the angel in life again (bc some stuff). At end, they were given one chance to live their life together but that would be their last life. It feels bit of twilight. Eh.

Newsoul series by Jodi Meadows. Also YA book. Talking about how everyone is reincarnated except for the main character which is a new soul. People die then reborn and remember their previous life memories too - one idk always get killed by maybe dragon or something i dont remember so has fear of that. I think at end she stopped the reincarnation process for everyone and new souls keep popping up. Didnt really get too hooked into story but just like its pretty covers.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Stolen by @Sylvie

...this shit was common in English novels before they were popular in asian stories. The Adventurer's Wanted series is the one that comes to mind first. Which is a great feel-good series, and i highly recommend it. Its like everything you can want in an isekai story, just without waifus. Sadly. But other than that, its AMAZING.

Anyway, yeah, there's a lot of the old "transfer to another world" trope in English stories. Reincarnation? Second chance? No, not really, but just bein isekai'd? yeah. A whole lot of them

SerikoLee

Chaos Realm Creator/ Chaos God
I make most of my series based of Christianity but i try to avoid most tropes in anime and etc, am sick of.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
"The Time Machine" by H. G. Wells, published in 1895.

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Ok totally down with a Christian man being reincarnated and using the power of god and a huge cross to fight wit( tospread Christianity around.

just like the Spanish killed non-Christians
I make most of my series based of Christianity but i try to avoid most tropes in anime and etc, am sick of.
At some point everything becomes a trope

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
o gets transmigrated back in time to the time of King Arthur
Speaking of King Arthur, they do call him "The Once and Future King." I think he's just meant to sort of get up out of his death-sleep one day instead of being reincarnated, but ALOT of stories turn it into a reincarnation thing instead.
So you will probably find some books with the MC having the soul of someone else, which is reincarnation just seen from a different angle
I've seen this one a lot, in Charmed and in The Mummy movies especially comes to mind.
If MC doesn't have memories of that hero, it's just a plot armor
Most reincarnation doesn't allow more than a glimpse of memories of past lives. Being fully incarnated is mostly weeb stuff. The exceptions I can think of but can't name, there were a lot of stories where a guy 'maybe dies, maybe he's just dreaming' and gets reincarnated to another world. Those kinds of stories are one of the classic examples that certain people point to as Male Power Fantasies, though.

I enjoyed a few of them, but there was one series that made me sick to my stomach to read since the author had some kind of horrific hatred for women. The first book was great but it totally fell apart by book three.
Death is not a requirement
It is for Reincarnation, which is literally the first word in the Original Post.
Isekai doesn´t necessarily mean the person died (Kumo desu ga, Nani ka? this spider thingy -> Nobody died there and it is very obviously an isekai)

So Narnia? Stargate, if you really want?
Except the characters did die in Kumo Desu...
And in Narnia...... Stargate is a good example of 'Isekai' technically, but not really. Unless it's one of the episodes where they go to an alternate timeline and fuck everything up. They had one of those like every season.
The Adventurer's Wanted
This is a bad example of 'before anime' but it does remind me of a common template for DnD games and stories based on them. The player gets reincarnated as their character and then goes on an adventure. Flight of Dragons did this too, I think. One of my favorite movies as a kid.

Last edited:

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Speaking of King Arthur, they do call him "The Once and Future King." I think he's just meant to sort of get up out of his death-sleep one day instead of being reincarnated, but ALOT of stories turn it into a reincarnation thing instead.
Okay?
But I was talking about transmigration, not reincarnation.
'-'

X