Western Setting in all Stories

AkalE

From what I gather, there is a large chunk of the SH community not from USA, Europe or Japan.
But its stunningly rare to see any story that is not in a western setting. There is the occasional Chinese reference here and there, but I have never read a story that's based in Indonesia, Qatar, Ethiopia or Nigeria.

So, this is something I want to ask all the non-native English speaking authors. Why not try to write stories about your culture? It would be a refreshing new take on even exiting genres. How a character survives a zombie apocalypse in the middle of Hanoi, or when the system arrives while the MC is trekking in Bohol.

I have asked some authors about this, and they have occasionally said the reason for their reluctance to base their stories in their country is the fear that the readers won't relate. On that note, I have my second question: would you read a story not based in the western setting (including things like their aristocratic ranking)?

D

Deleted member 29316

Well, I'm writing a story with a Southeast Asian character (Filipino) set in an Isekai. Complete with his cultural sensibilities.

Also, I got an alternate-history/fantasy novel uploaded here that is set in Manila. But I haven't updated it since, because I'm lazy to format...

Oh yeah, and I received comments complaining about the dense attitude of the MC (the isekai) when in my country, such behavior around women is sensical.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Less fear that they can't relate, but more my lack of knowledge. You write about things you know, so writing about foreign settings is obviously difficult without significant preparation. That is time-consuming. :blob_evil_two:

And not forgetting, history is Eurocentric.

Alienix

Uh, my second story is in Indonesia as a matter of fact. Well, it is still 2 chapter thou. Still focusing on my first story

D

Deleted member 29316

Less fear that they can't relate, but more my lack of knowledge. You write about things you know, so writing about foreign settings is obviously difficult without significant preparation. That is time-consuming. :blob_evil_two:

Also, if I may add, there's a pervasive atmosphere in some countries that see the Western and Japanese cultures as the 'cool' ones.

I was like that before, a weaboo thinking that Japanese culture is supreme above everything else, and so I write with Japanese stuff in it. Lately did I realize, my own culture has its own merits too.

So now I write with my own culture and values in mind. Not only that it's easy, it is also promoting my country.

Leti

So, this is something I want to ask all the non-native English speaking authors. Why not try to write stories about your culture?
Been there, done that. But then, my country is part Europe and part Asia, so it still counts as western.

On that note, I have my second question: would you read a story not based in the western setting (including things like their aristocratic ranking)?
Why not? I read something inspired by 1001 nights before and didn't regret it. As long as the plot is decent, the setting won't be going to be a problem if explained properly.

Last edited:

KyoruS

Well well well... You just described one of the biggest problem with globalization. Not only it allows other countries with weaker economies to heavily rely on other countries products, but also "favors" other cultures that are more modern or even cooler. My generation and even a generation after me don't really have a strong cultural identity to our country or ethnic groups.

One of the biggest reason why there's not much stories about other cultures (predominantly SEA culture), is mostly because we simply forgot our culture and even deem our culture as not cool or "uncivilized". Replaced with other cultures that are more dominant in the entertaiment world. Which is a shame I have to say, since after re-learning my culture (by reading rare cultural books) I have become really fond and even quite proud with my heritage.

Story settings wise, I'm planning of creating several kingdoms that are heavily based with my culture (Javanese ethnic group, Indonesia). And even the story progression will take reference to its history. However, it will only come to surface in the third arc, after around 40-50 chapters. Currently I'm 10 chapters down and with a release rate of 2 per weeks, you have to wait at least 4 months....

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
It also helps that a lot of stories on SH are generic medieval isekai fantasy, and that means Western.

AkalE

The Americans might have a thing or two to say about it... :blob_popcorn:
But even otherwise, I disagree. Every nation has their individual history. Look at Japan and how much we know about the Shogun Era, or the honorific suffixes they use.
Even Chinese history is now coming to new light with the Qin Dynasty and the three kingdom war or atleast you know Sun Tzu.

What I'm getting at here is that native authors seem to hesitate using references from their culture and fall back on western culture because it's more readily available.

Well well well... You just described one of the biggest problem with globalization. Not only it allows other countries with weaker economies to heavily rely on other countries products, but also "favors" other cultures that are more modern or even cooler. My generation and even a generation after me don't really have a strong cultural identity to our country or ethnic groups.

One of the biggest reason why there's not much stories about other cultures (predominantly SEA culture), is mostly because we simply forgot our culture and even deem our culture as not cool or "uncivilized". Replaced with other cultures that are more dominant in the entertaiment world. Which is a shame I have to say, since after re-learning my culture (by reading rare cultural books) I have become really fond and even quite proud with my heritage.

Story settings wise, I'm planning of creating several kingdoms that are heavily based with my culture (Javanese ethnic group, Indonesia). And even the story progression will take reference to its history. However, it will only come to surface in the third arc, after around 40-50 chapters. Currently I'm 10 chapters down and with a release rate of 2 per weeks, you have to wait at least 4 months....

All the best for your story.
It might be the case with schools across the world teaching Shakespeare while not bothering with any native authors...
But there have been several countries that have done exceedingly well in using their soft power to promote their nations as well. Just look at S.Korea and Japan. Manga, LNs and webfics from those two countries are popular around the world.

QUOTE="binarysoap, post: 69786, member: 9430"]
It also helps that a lot of stories on SH are generic medieval isekai fantasy, and that means Western.
[/QUOTE]
Isekai doesn't need to be Western even if it is set in a medieval fantasy. Isekai is just transportation to a new world iirc.
It's easier to write western medieval sure. But I would really like to read a Zimbabwean Isekai. Maybe it can be about fighting colonization even.

I don't understand PH.
You can write in English. The setting can be in PH.
If we can know kun, chan, sama and san, along with which rank higher and lower. Sure we can memorize a few PH honorifics.
Also, Chat Rules mandate using English. Let us not summon the great Tony.

Assurbanipal_II

The Americans might have a thing or two to say about it... :blob_popcorn:

:ROFLMAO: Americans? You are just sidekicks of the European main branch. You may call yourself Americans, but culturally there is nothing unique about you. You are Europeans that killed the indigenous population to replace them. Simple as that.

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
:ROFLMAO: Americans? You are just sidekicks of the European main branch. You may call yourself Americans, but culturally there is nothing unique about you. You are Europeans that killed the indigenous population to replace them. Simple as that.
I mean, Europeans are just Africans that got pale because they needed more vitamin D.

Assurbanipal_II

I mean, Europeans are just Africans that got pale because they needed more vitamin D.

Bit more complicated when you consider Indo-European migrations. :blob_evil_two: But you know yourself that your argument is absurd.

Ununique

Messiah of Alternate Accounts.
That's a bit mean spirited don't you think?