What’s it like for a author to read their own works?

ChaosGodOfJashin

The Chaos God of The Towers
Something that popped in my head just now. I was wondering what it would be like for an author to read something they’ve written without the intention to edit or proofread. Instead just read it as a reader, I’m curious about what that’s like.
Umm.. because I basically wrote all the plots of my stories inside my head with my imagination I basically knew all the plot of my stories. So it will be like reading something that someone already spoilered.

DoubleBlind

Depends on how I'm feeling that day. It can vary wildly from "hey, this is fun and I made up a couple cool plot points," to "wow, this is garbage, why does anyone even like this?"

It's a swingset of emotions, but I suppose it would be kind of strange if I was excited every single time. Getting a beta copy of the work in the mail though---that feels nice.

C_P_Tuck

Every great story needs an author
Something that popped in my head just now. I was wondering what it would be like for an author to read something they’ve written without the intention to edit or proofread. Instead just read it as a reader, I’m curious about what that’s like.
I do it all the time, because it's the only way I can reliably catch on to mistakes I've made and improve in future.

Also, I like fantasy stories with well-crafted magic systems. I like to read them for inspiration. Might be a bit narcissistic, but I can be inspired by my own writing, right?

lambenttyto

The moor I read my own stuff, the more I dislike it. However, I write a lot. A LOT. And often I will forget what I wrote. When that happens and I go back and ready, I'm usually surprised and think , "I wrote this?" Usually I realize something is a lot better than I thought it was.

it feels really different than when i wrote them, it's like i was reading another person's work.

especially if it's something way back.

Vladarius

Tis but a scratch. Tis but a flesh wound.
I tend to fall into an abyss when i start reading my own work without the intention of editing, and sometimes i find more issues that way.

DanLane

I started writing because I ran out of stuff to read. Stuff that suited my taste as a reader, I mean. I like the story I'm writing now. It's fun to write. Fun to read, too.

Hard to turn off the edit-brain when reading my own stuff, though.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
The work is fine, it's just all the new ideas and different possibilities that come to mind when I re-read. And trying to curb the OCD editor. I've read stuff from 10+ years ago and cringed. Although not too much, which is encouraging.

Twiska

It feels shorter than it was to write. Hours of work take minutes to read.

patbateman123x

I think it's very fulfilling.If you've put your heart and soul into your work , the thrill only intensifies .You are always looking for ways to make sure your novel retains the spirit of what you want to write and what the readers expect you to do . The big challenge comes with the mc , while i am personally a fan of badass characters , writing meaningful ways to address said character's internal and external struggles which most people don't even know about yet in the story ( the readers and the other characters) makes way for a lot of interesting ideas you can put forth into your writing

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Why is there a random comma there?
Did I seriously put the twice in a row?
How cold I seriously mispell could?
I used the wrong character name for the wrong situation.

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
An experience that makes me facepalm every paragraph

Refreshing. Rereading my story reminds me why I started writing it in the first place. If I don't find a section pleasant to read, then I know I've screwed up.
Humbling, when I catch errors I missed on the first three rereads.

D

Deleted member 54065

Honestly? I tend to get lost in the conversation.

No, not the negative one. More like getting carried away with how my characters talk, it's actually fun. 😁

Erivva

I don’t know, normal I guess