What’s the difference between novel, light novel, and web novel?

BlackKnightX

I actually do understand the differences to some extent, but I just wanna hear your opinion. So, from your knowledge, what’s the difference between these three?

RaizarP

A Giga Chad
I actually do understand the differences to some extent, but I just wanna hear your opinion. So, from your knowledge, what’s the difference between these three?
Light and Webnovel tend to be less detailed and written for the purpose to spend free time. Usually, it has a lighthearted story, although some of them have a rather deep story in it.

JDC_OnPaper

As far as I know:

Novels: Come from the West, Average word count 90,000- 100,000 words, to about 320-350 pages.
Light novels: Come from Japan, Average word count 40,000 to 50,000 words, to about 200 pages.
Web novels: to put it mildy, they are the groundworks for a novel or light Novel, due to not having any editors, they are often filled with plot holes, and random characters or arcs that basically do nothing, to put it in another terms, they are like a more detailed plan... until they get serialized by a company.

Note: In japan, once a Webnovel gets serialized, the writers are given an editor who would review all of the chapters in their webnovels, and would either request to change everything, change some of it, or just roll with it, causing the new Light novel to either have new or lack certain factors and elements that were in the webnovel.

That's about all I know.

Auratic

Technically anything over 50k words in publication is novel.
Term light novel comes from weird territory of Japanese Wasei-Eigo, simply put it's just like a novel but it has a connotation that implies it is for 'light reading'. The 'light' part has also been implied that it uses a simpler/common kanji that makes it easier to read for people read without thinking too much about it. (It would also explain why some novels tend to repeat things over and over your head like you're watching dora the explorer.)
Web novel is mostly exactly what it says on the tin. It's a novel that's on a web novel site such as Syosetu. These are 'Light novels' that have been yet to be published into physical copies, if they ever will.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Books look like this:

Thirty years ago, novels and light novels were presented in book format. Today, you can buy novels and light novels as ebooks. Webnovels are typically available for free.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
(Not 100% accurate but how I see it)
Novels tend to be released 150+ pages, highly edited, and 1 book at a time. They tend to be more ‘serious’ in tone and form/grammar.

Light novels tend to be released with less than 150 pages, highly edited, and 1 books and/or volumes at a time . They are practically a form of Japanese media. They tend to be more casual in tone, form, and grammar. Their genera’s are typically fantasy and/or romcom. They are written with the knowledge of a bunch of tropes specific to the medium or similar ones.

Web novels are highly variable, but tend to be released with chapters, 1000+ words per, with variable editing.
with mine being on the lower end…
This is because the author tends to be the editor. Web novels tend to have releases weekly/monthly, and are more casual in tone, form, and grammar. What is true for one web novel is not true for others. Typically the more popular web novels are similar in quality to novels or light novels.

Novel: The Dragon King
Light Novel: I was reincarnated as a Dragon King, but my harem members are lusting for my seed
Web Novel: I was reincarnated as a Dragon King, but since nobody else reads the synopsis, I'm going to add more smut and harem just to bait clicks.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Web Novel = As the name says, it is a novel published on the web. It generally has no editing and has less planning.

Light Novel = A published novel, generally aimed at teenagers. Editing by a professional editor for mistakes, but not for quality. Thus it has less pages and less complex words and simple grammar. Mostly for cheap entertainment.

Novel = A full book written by a professional author with a professional editor. May use more complex words and grammar. Aimed at telling a story or showcasing literature.

Jemini

I always like to say that a web-novel is like a TV series, where as a novel is like a feature length film.

In that sense, a lite-novel is a little like a feature film that is made of polished up episodes of a previously existing TV series. Although, that's not a true definition. Some early lite novels used to be able to get released without putting up a web-novel version first. The business model in Japan seems to have changed now, though. Now they want you to prove yourself as a web-novel before they will pick you up.

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Novel: The Dragon King
Light Novel: I was reincarnated as a Dragon King, but my harem members are lusting for my seed
Web Novel: I was reincarnated as a Dragon King, but since nobody else reads the synopsis, I'm going to add more smut and harem just to bait clicks.
XD