What are your inspirations for writing?

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I know this question has been asked before, but the forums are kinda dead right now. I'll start with my biggest inspirations for my current work -

Jobless Reincarnation
I used to hate on Isekai manga and anime before, but when I saw the love and craftsmanship put into the anime, it changed my whole perspective on the genre.
But the biggest inspiration for the actual substance of my story is the video game kenshi, one of my favorite video games of all time. It's a squad based real time rpg with base building/crafting, a dynamic limb based damage system (you can lose arms and legs! Then replace them with robotics), and it has a unique map with intractable factions(they raid you if you have low relations, ask for taxes if you base close by, and can be run out of their cities and replaced by other parties if you kill them all) but it has a serious problem. It's janky as hell, since it is an indie game and the culmination of 10 years of work, on a dogshit engine too I'll add.
My story is really just about taking what I like from these media, adding to it, making it better(lol), and of course being a good story on its own.

EternalSunset0

In addition to the titles on my signature, I'd say Persona 4, Index/Railgun, and a bit of Oregairu (in terms of the character designs and main cast makeup)

GioBlaze9239

Everything...

My mind is just a frankenstein mess of random patchwork ideas that pop in to my head whenever they please.

But, if I had to pick something, I would probably say that Skullduggery Pleasant is probably my biggest inspiration. I haven't read it in a while, nor can I remember much about it, but I'm pretty sure most of my ideas could be linked back to the fun world those teen fiction books managed to create.

Noel_Elitia

I think i read so man isekais, that i wanted to make one own which could have all the best things in one story. do check it out.

BlackKnightX

Reincarnated as a cheat vampire: I don’t really know. I love reading isekai novels—has read a lot of them—and then suddenly felt like writing one myself. So I did. I started with the most cliché scene I could ever think of, and then it just kind of moved on from there.

In Another World With a Perverted System: read a fanfic on Webnovel. It’s one of my favorite, had me laughing my ass off, so I kind of just wanted to write something similar—something light, fun, and downright silly.

An S-Rank Adventurer Turns into a Woman!?: Me trying to write seriously.

Little Witch Girl With The Dating Sim System: My new series. This is, to put it very simply, the combination of the three series above. It’s technically all my experience writing and reading more books combining together into this series. But overall, I just want to have fun.

(All of the series I’ve written have my voice in it, but each is vastly different in style. I mostly write them for fun and experiment.)

Last edited:

Mellohwa

Magic 8-ball they say
Many things inspired me to write... But, what encouraged me to write would be the authors on Scribble Hub with their amazing stories.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I started writing out of spite and ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would.

RainingSky

Coffee lover (addict)
Red Snow:
Music, mainly and since it is a FF a lot of stuff from the Original.

We the Villains:
Lot's of Stuff mainly random things from irl and stuff that bothers me, music and charas I want to draw, a lot of Pinterest.

I started writing for fun, still do it for fun and gotten a lot more serious than originally intended.

Horizon42

I wasn't inspired by anime, manga, or light novels. It was high fantasy series like Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle that got me into writing. I just want to bring my perspective and my lessons to the world.

I'm still a little away from doing that with my current skills, but hopefully, soon I will have what I need to write the story I want to write.

Scaver

I know this question has been asked before, but the forums are kinda dead right now. I'll start with my biggest inspirations for my current work -

Jobless Reincarnation
I used to hate on Isekai manga and anime before, but when I saw the love and craftsmanship put into the anime, it changed my whole perspective on the genre.
But the biggest inspiration for the actual substance of my story is the video game kenshi, one of my favorite video games of all time. It's a squad based real time rpg with base building/crafting, a dynamic limb based damage system (you can lose arms and legs! Then replace them with robotics), and it has a unique map with intractable factions(they raid you if you have low relations, ask for taxes if you base close by, and can be run out of their cities and replaced by other parties if you kill them all) but it has a serious problem. It's janky as hell, since it is an indie game and the culmination of 10 years of work, on a dogshit engine too I'll add.
My story is really just about taking what I like from these media, adding to it, making it better(lol), and of course being a good story on its own.
Mushouku tensei, lotm, tbate, cote, etc

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
I have always love reading in general. Even something like car magazine, I read them when I was a kid.

As for the inspiration for my first novel, it had to be the Gamer(webtoon) and some other system novels.

longer

Balls
Attack on titan, Berserk, Game of Thrones, and my occasional depression pangs.

Well I'm keeping all that out of my current story since I still want to get better at writing before doing a project based on previously mentioned things.

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
Blood Rose Slap to the Wrist
Star Wars the Last Mary Sue
High Guardian Condiments

unknownking

your local shitposter
idk. a few Chinese works such as warlock of the magus world, age of adept, a sorcerer's journey, and the last one was prob supreme magus, had all influenced me in one way or the other since I enjoyed reading such mage web novels.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
For the story that I'm currently writing: My Succubus Roommate I was inspired by two stories. One was actually a hentai where a succubus lives with the MC and feeds from just his touch rather than any actual sex. That got me to think about other ways the succubus genre could be subverted, which brought me to coming up with most of the lore for my story.

As for my writing style and the way I portray my story, I was inspired by an Itch.io game called Lessons in Love. It's an amazing game with probably my favorite story of all time. I'm not kidding when I say I actually cried to it a few times cause I was so attached to the characters. What makes it even better is the fact Lessons in Love is an nsfw game about a teacher wanting to gain a harem from all the students in his class. And then the story shows its true colors as a psychological horror later with the room of clocks a nice scene where nothing conspicuous happens. I highly recommend it and I'm going to post the link below cause I think more people should know about it. The game is still being updated and chapter 2 is nearly finished and the recent update both scared the shit out of me and blew my mind with the recent scenes.

With both of these inspirations combined, that's how I got my story. There are other things I was inspired by too, those include Attack on Titan, a bit of the monogatori franchise, and Bojack Horseman.

Link to one of the best games I've ever played right here: Lessons in Love. Beware cause there's some heavy topics covered in it and if you suffer from any mental illness like depression, be careful when playing this game cause it can fuck with your mind, especially on the horrifying scenes that made me stay awake at night contemplating life happy scenes where nothing bad ever happens cause its just a simple nsfw game where you collect a harem of girls.