What Covers Attract your Eyeballs?

Sayu

Eugh eig
Dear Readers of Shub

What about a novel's cover attracts your attention?
Does it have to be good, colourful?
Does it being made specifically for the novel in question make it any better?
Does it having a generic image or symbol disinterests you?

I do not want suggestions, just what makes you interested.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Just have an anime girl being smug. It's what gets you onto trending. Just use light, vibrant colors, since most people are using dark mode. Commissioned thumbnails would be good, but it depends on how well they meet the other factors you asked about.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-14 20.47.08.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-14 20.47.08.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 41

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
Honestly, I don't look at the covers. They are small (on phone screen) and I am usually more attracted to titles.
But character-centric titles seem to work better than something like landscapes or non-living objects.

BigBadBoi

I literally don't care unless it looks like something an 8 year old drew or something amateur weeb artist drew. Just using high quality ai generated art is good enough.

pelpelen

Cool poses of cool characters are cool so i like their coolness

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
Landscape. A war torn one or peaceful one. Having people in it is optional.
Or just something that looks cool.

Snowyflakes

Those that are in the style of fantasy, dark fantasy, or related art styles. It doesn't matter if the cover has a character in it or not, as long as it gives me some insight into the story. For example, the story is about a maze, and the cover represents an angle from inside that maze.

Does it have to be good, colourful?

Yes. It's a bonus if it's colorful. It helps me better grasp the atmosphere and feelings of the story itself. Most of the time, the cover is meaningful to the story. Or should be, in my opinion.

Does it having a generic image or symbol disinterests you?

If it has women at the beach or naked characters, I tend to stay away.

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
If I see kitsune or other foxgirl, I check out the synopsis. Otherwise, I tend to ignore covers and go by the title. And since I regularly check the new series list, the synopsis too. But the best way to get my attention is fluffy tail.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
The art of click baits huh?
You are treading into dangerous waters, my friend... I advise you to be careful. If you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you- remember the wise man's words, for one day, it just may't save your life.

WeissBlatt

I am become hiatus
Anime girls. Pretty colors. Anime girls with pretty colors.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Anime girls seem to be the most popular but for me it's covers that are unique with a common setup. The book title, an eye catching piece of art, and the authors name. The art can be anything as long as it hints towards what the story will contain. Though just a character design can do it.

SailusGebel

Style, gorgeous art, or being different. One of those or various combinations of those points attracts me. The cover of the novel Release that Witch attracted me because, at that time, I hadn't seen anything similar. Even though I haven't read it, the previous cover of Stray Cat Strut attracted me because it was stylish.

A couple of examples from manga covers that follow the same principle. The cover of the manga Blue Phobia(which I didn't read) attracted and still attracts me because it is stylish and has great art. Psyren was stylish, Ajin was different, Innocent had gorgeous art.