What did you read as a kid?

Kitty

Let's go down nostalgia lane! What books or series did you read as a child?

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
The harry potter series, almost a dozen times. Inheritance cycle was also a favourite, but harder to read as many times because of the length. I read deltora quest quite a few times, but somehow managed to lose the 'valley of the lost' twice. As in, I lost it, borrowed it from someone, then lost it again. From memory, it's the only book I've ever actually lost, and I managed to lose it twice. I've only ever read that one once because of it. :blob_teary:

Kitty

The harry potter series, almost a dozen times. Inheritance cycle was also a favourite, but harder to read as many times because of the length. I read deltora quest quite a few times, but somehow managed to lose the 'valley of the lost' twice. As in, I lost it, borrowed it from someone, then lost it again. From memory, it's the only book I've ever actually lost, and I managed to lose it twice. I've only ever read that one once because of it. :blob_teary:
Harry Potter! I remember finally getting my hands on a copy of the Deathly Hallows at my library and marathoning it in one day. Phew that was fun... though the Hermione x Ron pairing was upsetting.

I read the Inheritance cycle too. I swear everyone in my friend circle read that haha

I never heard of Deltora Quest though :blob_hmm_two:

Omnicast

What age range are you talking about?

If you're talking about early childhood then I've read the Beranstein Bears, Clifford, Garfield, variety of comics, some Chinese comics about an old man doing stupid things, Calvin and Hobbs, various Japanese mangas like Kazan, and I don't remember what else. Probably some strategy guides... for the various games I played growing up.

Later on in my middle to high school age, I started reading stuff like D&D Eleminster, D&D Drizzt Do'Urden series, and whatever else I thought was interesting. Some Chinese Wuxia Comics like Dragon Saber and Heaven Sword or something along those lines. Mostly dropped Western comics at this time.

Now I mainly read novels online. Chinese or Japanese. I usually avoid Korean novels. Not my cup of tea. 🍵

Kitty

What age range are you talking about?

If you're talking about early childhood then I've read the Beranstein Bears, Clifford, Garfield, variety of comics, some Chinese comics about an old man doing stupid things, Calvin and Hobbs, various Japanese mangas like Kazan, and I don't remember what else. Probably some strategy guides... for the various games I played growing up.

Later on in my middle to high school age, I started reading stuff like D&D Eleminster, D&D Drizzt Do'Urden series, and whatever else I thought was interesting. Some Chinese Wuxia Comics like Dragon Saber and Heaven Sword or something along those lines. Mostly dropped Western comics at this time.

Now I mainly read novels online. Chinese or Japanese. I usually avoid Korean novels. Not my cup of tea. 🍵
Er... I guess I was talking late elementary through early high school.

bananapink

The Sickly Banana
The very first book I read alone without help from my mom and sister is Alice in Wonderland.

Then, Strange Stories and Amazing Facts something like Reader's Digest. (This one left a mark on me... about medieval life and customs etc.)

Kotohood

Noob Author
I remember reading a lot of Enid Blyton as a child.

That's like the only real non visual novels that I remember reading. The other things I remembered reading were mostly comics and Mangas.

It wasn't untill highschool when I got into light novels. The first light novel I've read was a book called Ballad of the Shinigami.

The only other things that I remember reading is my school textbooks as well which was boring as heck. But hey they introduce me to some classics like Lord of the Flies and The Phantom Of The Opera.

Phantomheart

Cliff Hanger Player
HAHAHAHA IT IS TIME TO PREACH MY CHILDHOOD BOOK IDOLS. TFW ALL YOUR CHILDHOOD CRUSHES WERE FICTIONAL :blob_teary:

Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Harry Potter
Divergent Series
The Lunar Chronicles (Cinder)
The Princess Diaries
The Last Apprentice
The School of Good and Evil
The Wide Awake Princess Series
The Frog Princess Series by E.D. Baker
Hunger Games
The Shadowhunter series
Chronicles of Narnia
The Selection
The 39 Clues
The Virals Series (By Kathy Reichs)

And, those were just a few that I can name off the top of my head.

Kitty

The very first book I read alone without help from my mom and sister is Alice in Wonderland.

Then, Strange Stories and Amazing Facts something like Reader's Digest. (This one left a mark on me... about medieval life and customs etc.)
Gosh I loved the jokes in Reader’s Digest.
Artemis Fowl Series
Percy Jackson Series
The Alchemyst Series
Artemis Fowl! I loved that series, though it did kind of go downhill a bit somewhere after the opal deception IIRC. They’re making a movie for it, and I’m super excited to see it. Hopefully it’s good. Fingers crossed.

HAHAHAHA IT IS TIME TO PREACH MY CHILDHOOD BOOK IDOLS. TFW ALL YOUR CHILDHOOD CRUSHES WERE FICTIONAL :blob_teary:

Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Harry Potter
Divergent Series
The Lunar Chronicles (Cinder)
The Princess Diaries
The Last Apprentice
The Wide Awake Princess Series
The Frog Princess Series by E.D. Baker
Hunger Games
The Shadowhunter series
Chronicles of Narnia
The Selection
The 39 Clues
The Virals Series (By Kathy Reichs)

And, those were just a few that I can name off the top of my head.
Haha I relate to the childhood crushes. I loved Gilbert from Anne of Green Gables.

novaes

Goosebumps books! And those terrible things I got tricked into buying from that book catalogue thing that got passed out at school every year. I think it was called scholastic books? Most of those sucked.

Well those and the mandatory reading from class later on like to kill a mockingbird and steven king novels. Not sure how a 12yo me got through the stand and I can't remember a single thing beyond the feeling of accomplishment upon finishing it. Heck, I really didn't realize there were books on the internet until well into the 2000's. Since then I've probably read over 1000 books easily, most of which I've pretty much forgotten!

Ever pick up a book, get a few chapters in and have a bizarre feeling of deja vu?

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
The bible and disney princesses comic books. I had a rough childhood because of it.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
The Animal Ark books
Jacqueline Wilson
Roald Dahl
The Rainbow Magic series (the rainbow fairies and weather fairies)
My Secret Unicorn series
Vampireates

Kitty

Goosebumps books! And those terrible things I got tricked into buying from that book catalogue thing that got passed out at school every year. I think it was called scholastic books? Most of those sucked.

Well those and the mandatory reading from class later on like to kill a mockingbird and steven king novels. Not sure how a 12yo me got through the stand and I can't remember a single thing beyond the feeling of accomplishment upon finishing it. Heck, I really didn't realize there were books on the internet until well into the 2000's. Since then I've probably read over 1000 books easily, most of which I've pretty much forgotten!

Ever pick up a book, get a few chapters in and have a bizarre feeling of deja vu?
Ah, I remember the Scholastic book fairs. I felt like a kid in a candy store when my teacher let us loose.

I can't believe you read The Stand for school. That's dope.

I get that deja vu feeling a lot when reading repetitive Chinese webnovels, but I try to mix it up.
The bible and disney princesses comic books. I had a rough childhood because of it.
Aw... no one should be bullied for their taste in books :blob_teary:
The Animal Ark books
Jacqueline Wilson
Roald Dahl
The Rainbow Magic series (the rainbow fairies and weather fairies)
My Secret Unicorn series
Vampireates
I really loved Matilda and The Witches by Roald Dahl. God, Matilda was so cool and she was definitely one of my favorite characters growing up.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Aw... no one should be bullied for their taste in books :blob_teary:
Its mostly because thats the only book i had read as a child. I tried to ask my brothers to borrow their friends books but they refused.

Kitty

Its mostly because thats the only book i had read as a child. I tried to ask my brothers to borrow their friends books but they refused.
Well at least now, you have the freedom to read pretty much anything you want. \o/

Miserys_End

[Lv1 Pretend Person] Im the person I pretend to be
Didnt spend much time reading in grade school or middle school, started reading heavily in my late teens and never really slowed down. Below is the majority of the books I've owned(with the exception of the destroyer series). It wasn't an extensive collection, but I can say I always had a paperback book with me just about everywhere I went until I got a tablet around 2015ish...

The Honorverse(main series, two sub series, and most of the anthology books) 22 books
The Hobbit, the lord of the rings trilogy, silmarillion,
The dragons of Pern series(the originals by Anne McCaffrey, only read the first of her sons) 16ish books
Dune series(Dune, The Messiah of Dune, The Children of Dune, The God Emperor of Dune, The Heretics of Dune, Chapterhouse: Dune, and The Butlerian Jihad)7 books
Redwall series(stopped collecting around '02ish)15 books
The wheel of time series(complete) 17 books
The sword of truth series(complete) 21 books
The Landover series(all but the last book) 5 books
Shannara series( The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy, The Sword of Shannara trilogy, Wishsong of Shannara, the Druids of Shannara, and a few others) 10 books
The Passing of The Techno Mages trilogy
Armor
The destroyer series(unknown number but guessing around 50 of the 140 books)

sage61

I started reading from a very young age and my very first English story book was the Peter and Jane series. After that I was into Enid Blyton series whether it's the fairytales or the mystery, adventure, circus series. Too bad it's hard to find those books now.

Books I can recall are :
Sweet Valley series
Sweet Dreams series
Grimm's Fairy Tales
Anne of the Green Gables
Chronicles of Narnia (watched the movie too)
A Little Princess & The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
the black magician trilogy by trudi canavan
Artemis Fowl
Alex Rider
Harry Potter
Nancy Drew & Hardy Boys
Goosebumps & Fear Streets
The Selection

Kitty

Didnt spend much time reading in grade school or middle school, started reading heavily in my late teens and never really slowed down. Below is the majority of the books I've owned(with the exception of the destroyer series). It wasn't an extensive collection, but I can say I always had a paperback book with me just about everywhere I went until I got a tablet around 2015ish...

The Honorverse(main series, two sub series, and most of the anthology books) 22 books
The Hobbit, the lord of the rings trilogy, silmarillion,
The dragons of Pern series(the originals by Anne McCaffrey, only read the first of her sons) 16ish books
Dune series(Dune, The Messiah of Dune, The Children of Dune, The God Emperor of Dune, The Heretics of Dune, Chapterhouse: Dune, and The Butlerian Jihad)7 books
Redwall series(stopped collecting around '02ish)15 books
The wheel of time series(complete) 17 books
The sword of truth series(complete) 21 books
The Landover series(all but the last book) 5 books
Shannara series( The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy, The Sword of Shannara trilogy, Wishsong of Shannara, the Druids of Shannara, and a few others) 10 books
The Passing of The Techno Mages trilogy
Armor
The destroyer series(unknown number but guessing around 50 of the 140 books)
Redwall! The food descriptions were so drool-worthy.

I started reading from a very young age and my very first English story book was the Peter and Jane series. After that I was into Enid Blyton series whether it's the fairytales or the mystery, adventure, circus series. Too bad it's hard to find those books now.

Books I can recall are :
Sweet Valley series
Sweet Dreams series
Grimm's Fairy Tales
Anne of the Green Gables
Chronicles of Narnia (watched the movie too)
A Little Princess & The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
the black magician trilogy by trudi canavan
Artemis Fowl
Alex Rider
Harry Potter
Nancy Drew & Hardy Boys
Goosebumps & Fear Streets
The Selection
Whoa, I've read the majority of the books and series on your list!