What do you, as a reader, like to see in a novel?

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Hot ancient chinese gay dudes

What? I'm a simple woman with simple tastes

Kenjona

Decent grammar and spelling. Well put together characters, even if they are suppose to be 2d characters. Well integrated plot.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
I personally like magic, and characters thinking through things. Though I am a sucker for bullshit anime moments. (or laughing at shows with horrid problems. That works too!) I like seeing flashes of sudden brilliance, and I am a sucker for underdog-type characters who get thrown into shit way above their pay grade and they narrowly scrape out a Win.

One thing I dislike with a burning passion is when Gender Bender fics flip a character's body and it's all perfect sunshine and rainbows, and nothing ever goes wrong. Like.... no. I'm a transgirl, being AMAB for me sucks. i abhor looking at myself. My body is a travesty and fucking WRONG. And I just have to live with that shit. Like good fucking luck trying to pass.

But you know what? I'm STILL a woman. I STILL write. I STILL kick ass. The heart of my sapphic transbian fire, is taking that pain, that everpresent suffering, and kicking its dysphoric bullshit dysmorphic normative ASS. The essence of Luna Soltær, the integral fibre of her being, is overcoming what I am and blossoming into who I am.

A work that captures that drive, that intrinsic energy, that flame. THAT is what I crave. I want that gender euphoria hit, I want that validation, but to get that validation I need to see the trials and tribulations. I want that transformation to bleed the character raw. I want it to hurt a bit. Or a lot. I want that phase of self-denial where the character denies themself because how the hell. I want the back and forth, the misery, the challenge, the looming darkness of the world over your trans protag, and that protag going YOU KNOW WHAT SHUT UP and doing the thing anyway. And I want, at the end of the transition, for something to have been lost (even if that thing was time, as in significant numbers of years), but the overall result to be beautiful and worth every last bit.

Until I find that, though, I can always chat with my host about fun magic systems, and exploitations of physics. And metaphysics too. They crave stories about munchkins being munchkins and bullshitting their way through the setting, and you know that? There's a charm to that. I also like sarcasm and snark. Like. Mmm. Give me more of THAT. Banter is amazing, and I'm a bit of a slut for mid-combat dialogue, even though it really isn't realistic.

I know. I like escapism too. I'm not so above it all, like I try to give off the impression I am. Just.... shush. Let me be. (and if you know any super amazing series for when I'm no longer writing as 24/7 let me know)

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
First and foremost, gay girls
Second, the gayness of the girls taking a back (but still present) seat to the (interesting and not not too tragic/angsty )plot
Third, good grammar and spelling.

Surprisingly, grammar is one of the things I worry about least as long as the writer attempts to improve at it. That's because it's hard for the content of a story to improve in a short time, but a person who's already good enough to write in English is already good enough to start improving rapidly given help.

cheriechechan

Good evening, everyone. As a reader and writer, (LOL! Check out my story 'Tale of the Demon Hero' and 'Tale of the Demon Ruler'. Thank you.)Sorry for the sudden promotion. Anyway, as both reader and writer, I would love to read an intriguing and mysterious story that will make me curious until the end since I am looking/searching for something 'different' apart from the others. Thank you.

Meow_please

Hello!

I'm new here, and I haven't posted any stories yet, but I was looking for insight into what readers like to read. And what makes you guys feel like a novel is worthwhile reading? Do you prefer slow burns or stories that head right away into the action? What do you despise about a novel? Any pet peeves?

I know everyone has different preferences for genres and the type of book they enjoy reading, but I appreciate any advice and insight. I've asked a bunch of writers about tips and advice about writing, but I've never actually asked the ones who read the novels. So I thought, why not just ask you all myself.

Thank you!
One of my personal pet peeves is when the story is supposed to be action but turns out to be only romantic, I guess what I'm trying to say is just go easy on the romantic scenes of your story.

D

Deleted member 22388

Simple, a single bit of romance between the MC with the opposite gender even if its just short over the thousand chapter