What do you do to promote your story?

Myewphi

Im curious at what others do to promote/advertise their story? Personally, I never actually advertise it outside of the kinda passive advertising I do by having a link to my story in my signature.

Honestly im currently still focused on just improving my own skills as well as making my story long enough that its even worth reading, but I have been thinking about small ways I could increase my audience, like scheduling my chapters to be posted at high traffic times of day and such yknow?

But yeah, im curious as to what others do? For those of you who do anything about it at all that is.

DaoFox

『Silkmaid』『Queen Sylvia Glasscrest of Arya』
Promotion? What's that?

Can I eat it???

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
I do 'bout the same as you.

But yeah, it's been mentioned before and I've said it before, but posting at high traffic times is a double-edged sword. There are more people there to see the chapter, sure, but there are also a bunch of other authors who had the same idea as you, so your chapter will disappear from the front page much quicker than usual as well.

I would say that it's better not to prioritise view counts and reader counts so much. You aren't making money from this, after all (probably). Focus more on improving the novel and getting feedback (which yes, you do need readers to get, but for people to give feedback they need to not just be reading your novel but engaged in its story).

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I just follow a specific release schedule and adhere to it. I don't do much advertising outside of that...

Well, I recommend my novel to people when I see someone looking for new stuff to read if anything.

I mean... Scribbly's homepage is a much better advertising venue than most things I can do, so... Well, it's easier to just let the site itself advertise for me~

honeymilkwrites

Nothing aside from just releasing chapters often. Sometimes I write at a fast pace and finish two chapters in a day (~4k to 5k words). Then I space out the releases so my views in a single day spike and I have a decent shot of making the first page of trending, which I've noticed further raises views.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Adher to a release schedule and drop in tags and links every once in a while. It's a slow process but it guarantees a tight readerbase without going too obnoxious or glaringly obvious,

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
links in signature, post new chapters in all my discord servers I know have readers of my stories, make a tweet, post a link on Reddit when my story is complete, and generally self promote the heck out of myself on all “hey folks promote yourselves in the replies of this tweet” and “I’m looking for stories that are [insert here the exact kinda shit I write], anybody has some?” type discussions.

And I’m honestly still holding myself back and not self promoting as much as I should.

Khiricastares

Literally nothing. Any attempts at me prompting things would likely have a negative effect.