What do you think a stereotypical person that writes stories for the web is like?

Reisinling

I think we all know what stereotypical trad-publishing book author is like. Barely living off the money they earn in their NY apartment, writing on an old typewriter because it's cool (or on a MacBook pro in a starbucks), smoking (or vaping these days) and constantly attending parties with other authors.

What about webauthors? I assume there is a difference in stereotype for fanfic authors, authoweebs, and wannabe picked up by trad-pub.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I think of them as either moonlighters or people who want to be the next big thing. And this is after reading about the conditions of chinese writers.

Mechaphobic

I lost my D&D groups and a couple of my players to COVID, I started writing as a way to continue storytelling. I think I am complete and utter crap at it. Yet, I somehow keep getting readers and they keep encouraging me to continue, so I try to do better for them. I never thought of doing this for anyone but myself, and I try to have as much fun as I can. I think if you go into this with only the idea of becoming a full-time author then you will inevitably fail. That is unless you are incredibly skilled like Kuropon or Shirtaloon.

D

Deleted member 45782

I think we all know what stereotypical trad-publishing book author is like. Barely living off the money they earn in their NY apartment, writing on an old typewriter because it's cool (or on a MacBook pro in a starbucks), smoking (or vaping these days) and constantly attending parties with other authors.
Interesting. Sorta reminds me of Gatsby. Imagined them as either that top teeny % very famous and successful or part of the hundreds that make up the rest that are broke/gave up writing and pursued a different path.
What about webauthors? I assume there is a difference in stereotype for fanfic authors, authoweebs, and wannabe picked up by trad-pub.
Depends on the platform I think. Feel webnovels writers write more stuff than would be seen as acceptable in trad bks in some places so guess more freedom write whatever they want or at least stretch it farther?

Wattpad I feel is mostly teens and young adults and writers hoping to get noticed. Lot of bad boy cliches.

Other platforms is riddled with authors that write as much as possible, but the plot just becomes repetitive pile of poo not to mention other stuff.

ScribbleHub - not on main site as much but on forums if have to say a stereotype of sh writers is either you're a hobbyist or a person who dreams big before walking. Preferably no 1* but don't mind the anonymous 5* they get. Likes praises, dislike critique. Has coding knowledge/experience.

So maybe webauthors...amateur starter, hobbyist, actual published writer, big dream picture writer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jemini

I would say it depends on what income bracket you're talking about. There are the people who aren't even trying to get money from their writing, the ones who are making pocket change, the ones who are making what could be considered a respectable suplamental income, and the ones who are earning 6 figures from their writing.

I would say the ones not even trying and the ones making pocket change only have the difference of whether or not they decided to set up a donation service. The other two though are each completely different worlds from the former two and also different from each other.

Vnator

I always figured they were mostly horny teenagers, from what I've seen uploaded. Or just regular weeaboo teenagers with the amount of fanfics. But I don't hold it against them or anything, I'm glad they have an opportunity to practice writing something they enjoy! There weren't any sites like this when I was a kid.

EternalSunset0

I always figured they were mostly horny teenagers, from what I've seen uploaded. Or just regular weeaboo teenagers with the amount of fanfics. But I don't hold it against them or anything, I'm glad they have an opportunity to practice writing something they enjoy! There weren't any sites like this when I was a kid.
I do remember Fictionpress before. Tried taking a look at it, but looking back, it's so barebones compared to the sites we have now.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
it varies between sites. writers on ScribbleHub, for example, are all horny. they're all borderline sex offenders if they weren't such pussies. they'd sooner sell their grandmother than to pass up a chance on a slurpy from a cunny.

writers on RoyalRoad genuinely want to turn a leaf but are too up their ass to do so.

writers on WebNovel are either established writers or people whose motivations are beyond mortal comprehension. who the fuck would willingly sell their soul to the devil with the exchange of an equivalent of recieving a wet cracker.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶

I couldn't find any stereotypes about Web Novel writers. Aside from fanfic writers, that is. My general impression of an author is basically different each time I see one, so I can't say I've discovered any stereotypes. At a stretch, there's Wish Fulfillment writers, who want to be the characters they write, and Smut writers... Who want to be the characters they write. But that's more to do with what they're writing than the medium.
There's Weebs, foreigners learning English, slightly depressed people at coffee shops, normal author stereotypes, and so many others that could work, but they aren't really tied to Web Novels in particular.

Also, apparently Web Novels are considered the spiritual successor to Newspaper serials and short stories. So you can use Charles Dickens and other fancy British authors as your stereotypical Web writer. ✍️🕵️‍♂️:coffee:

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Well, I read around a couple of websites cause I got bored during the pandemic, so I do have an idea of stereo types for some websites. I'll describe em in 3 words or less.

Scribblehub(main site) - Degenerates.
Wattpad - Self-inserts
Webnovel - Basically CN novels.
Royalroad - All of above(Actually haven't read much here)

This isn't serious btw, just typed what came to mind.

Reisinling

Also, apparently Web Novels are considered the spiritual successor to Newspaper serials and short stories. So you can use Charles Dickens and other fancy British authors as your stereotypical Web writer. ✍️🕵️‍♂️:coffee:
I made this argument on this forum myself :D But seriously, does that mean then most of us are complete sexist assholes that lie about our real lives?

(This is the space where I was going to provide some stereotypes myself... but then realised I know too many other authors now on this site and I don't want any of them to be sad, so no more input from me)

((Actually scratch that, there is one stereotype- the prevalence of engineering students/software engineers on these websites is riddiculous. And I'm guilty))

Mysticant

Resident Ant
Well, I read around a couple of websites cause I got bored during the pandemic, so I do have an idea of stereo types for some websites. I'll describe em in 3 words or less.

Scribblehub(main site) - Degenerates.
Wattpad - Self-inserts
Webnovel - Basically CN novels.
Royalroad - All of above(Actually haven't read much here)

This isn't serious btw, just typed what came to mind.
That was my actual impression as well. Not insulting my readers or other writers over here or anything but I have flipped past a few novels during my free time and when I get too lazy to write. And yeah besides all the popular genres and all the smut...there is only a small tiny pile of novels which I would actually pick up to read. RRL had a great community back when I was there like 7 years ago, now it feels like a mix of everything. WN is just a CN novel dumpsite. I don't have much experience with Wattpad but what I hear from others is basically just that.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I hate most web writers on twitter. They make me want to stop writing so im not associated with them anymore. They seem like the most bottom of the barrel insane people.

EternalSunset0

I tend to think of us as stereotypical webcomic authors except we can't draw, so we do this instead.
There's legit truth to that I think. I know some people who are like that.

Admittedly, I feel I am also one of those to an extent

Reisinling

I hate most web writers on twitter. They make me want to stop writing so im not associated with them anymore. They seem like the most bottom of the barrel insane people.
Isn't it just twitter people? (minus artists, who just post their art)

Derin_Edala

There's legit truth to that I think. I know some people who are like that.

Admittedly, I feel I am also one of those to an extent
Drawing is so hard. You have to make the shapes yourself and they have to be pretty shapes. Writing is easy. You tap the keys and the computer draws the letters for you.

The_Everdistant_Utopia

Mapmaker | Writer | Lorekeeper
A shambling void of sleep debt and unhealthy eating habits circling vaguely in the shape of a human being that occasionally crunches a chapter in late hours when they can't put themselves to sleep, but usually spends their time uselessly browsing unimportant shit in the internet.

Oh, you didn't mean to describe myself? You meant people in general? I guess they're normal like any other people. Maybe some a bit more excited about what they do than others, but I don't think I have a different image of web authors than just normal people...