What do you think a stereotypical person that writes stories for the web is like?

KittraMcBriar

I tend to think of us as stereotypical webcomic authors except we can't draw, so we do this instead.
Hey, I can draw. I do it for a living. But a webcomic on top of that? That’s so much god-damned work. Just. So much. Too much.

Am I working on one anyway in addition to my four web series? Yes. But I have a lot of stories I want to tell that would never get told if I only did webcomics just because I happen to be able to draw.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
WN: Idk. I've been to the site...2 or 3 times and have found its staff nonexistent to near outrageously inactive. I've waited an entire month and a few days more for a response to a simple Yes or No question. And they didn't even answer it. They asked me to clarify and then when I did, its been more than a year and I still haven't been answered. Its forums are active depending on the time of day, but I've yet to see actual site staff actively engaging in anything besides a moderator or two that has no real authority to do anything besides ban people. They seem oblivious to anything else since when I last checked, there was a long line of posts from people asking questions that were months old with no responses. Other than that, I have no major opinions.

ScribbleHub: On average, even less skilled and at other times...of similar ability as the average WN writer. They are also the whiniest group of writers I've ever met. Nowhere have I seen more hordes of people crying about 1 stars that they most likely deserved anyway if their writing is to be taken as an example. This place is also consumed with the petty. The number of times I have "offended" a child here over my mentioning of the bullshit hypocrisy of bitching about 1-stars but saying nothing at all about the 5 stars they clearly did not deserve or earn, only to find a shiny new 1 stars on my own stuff despite having no new readers. But of course, I didn't dignify them with my own forum thread spewing metaphorical tears and shrieking about the injustice of it all. Oh and this site has a noticeable, but both amusing and pathetic aversion to RR here.

RoyalRoad: By far the best webnovelist platform I've come across and I have accounts on 9 different sites. Was 13 but 4 of them shut down in the past 3-4 years. Has the best writers on average based on genuine skill and ability. They have higher standards and they expect them. I mean quite a few stories that trend on SH, are frankly horrible...I mean some of the grammar I've read from trending stories here....it's clear they didn't trend on any writing ability or grasp of the English language, but rather because they hit a popular fetish and/or just write general smut which is eaten up on this site regardless of any quality or lack thereof. Its simple. Want to play pretend and "make-nice", not hurt anyone's feelings, and thus never improve? SH is for you. Want to actually improve? Gain semi-professional and more often than you'd think, actual professional advice? Go to RR. Just depends on how thin your skin is and how repulsed you are by actual criticism that isn't just blowing smoke up your arse and feeding your ego.

Fictionpress: The first writing site I ever joined so it's definitely nostalgic for me. The first long-term writing group I ever socialized with that I even migrated numerous Skype channels with and for, until we all ended up on a private discord channel. I've been speaking with the people I met within Fictionpress since 2011 and we still chat very frequently, even the ones that don't write anymore still drop by at least a few minutes a day to say hello. It's still an active site since stories are updated daily, I would just say not as much as SH or anything. And for those crying about the barebones look of the site....and? It's a writing site to post your writing. Not an art show for you to gawk at the pretty colors.

Oh, you said stereotypical? Nevermind. I missed that part of the question.

Last edited:
the one that sticks with me is someone who comes up with amazing concept and dropped the story after the prologue

the other is the one that always complain that they have no readers

or that author who only cares about being in trending

and there's just the hermit type, who just basically give almost zero fucks to everything and just write, probably in some sites with low traffic just to put something up.

but my favorite is the webnovel authors who keep writing the stuff i like, and they deliver the stuff 'til completion with a satisfying end. they really made my day with their wonderful stories and give me a pleasant way to spend my time.

i'm kinda lazy to write stuff myself, and even lazier to try to make it good, so yeah.

TunTun

Man... Talk about poor reading comprehension. Literally the overwhelming majority of the answers in this thread missed the point.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
Man... Talk about poor reading comprehension. Literally the overwhelming majority of the answers in this thread missed the point.
Truuuuue. But then, at least they wrote out an answer.
RoyalRoad: By far the best webnovelist platform
I honestly don't know from a writer's perspective. All I know is that most of the stories I read there were dropped because the authors were getting harassed. The site's administrators did nothing about it, just like you mentioned for WN. As a result, most of those authors migrated here. It's only natural that they'd foster some resentment in their readers over it.

Personally, I decided to post here because the administrator here is well known and always mentioned in a positive light, though I haven't needed to rely on help from them so far.

I don't doubt some of what you've said, but it's clear that you're just as bitter as the people you are complaining about.
Oh, you said stereotypical? Nevermind. I missed that part of the question.
That last line sounds hilariously sarcastic, too. It really tickled me.