What do you think about drama in the story?

BlackKnightX

Well, that's a shit drama if I understood everything correctly. I would also like to add the following thing. A story without drama isn't interesting. It's a simple time killer. You aren't interested in how such stories will end. You simply kill time with fluff and so on. You rest and relax after a hard day's work. There are no stakes if there is no drama. The said tension that you mentioned will always get resolved with comedy or something similar. So yeah, they are uninteresting.
Have you ever watch Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, So I'll Max Out My Defense?

I like this kind of story. There is no stake, no life-threatening conflict, no relationship drama. It’s just about people having fun exploring a game. It’s simple, relaxing, funny, fluffy, and just purely entertaining to watch.

I don’t know if you’re gonna like it, though, since I heard some critics criticize this story about the lack of dramas. But, despite all that, I still LOVE this show and it’s also quite popular. I also heard a lot of people say good things about it.

EternalSunset0

I'm not good at writing it. At all.

But what exactly constitutes drama for you? I feel that almost all stories have it in some way. You mentioned Bofuri but I feel that more than half of the anime/LN in any genre has it in some way.

Would you consider a "senpai notice me" segment drama? Especially when the girl starts whining about it? Even in actual power fantasies like Mahouka... do you consider Shizuku trying to get over her loss to Miyuki drama? Or Honoka's unrequited feelings in the summer vacation chapter? Or most of Raphtalia's moments where she's trying to be encouraging or affectionate towards Naofumi in Shield Hero?

I think that you hate sob story dramas, but do the above mentioned scenarios count?

SailusGebel

Have you ever watch Bofuri: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, So I'll Max Out My Defense?

I like this kind of story. There is no stake, no life-threatening conflict, no relationship drama. It’s just about people having fun exploring a game. It’s simple, relaxing, funny, fluffy, and just purely entertaining to watch.

I don’t know if you’re gonna like it, though, since I heard some critics criticize this story about the lack of dramas. But, despite all that, I still LOVE this show and it’s also quite popular. I also heard a lot of people say good things about it.
Yeah. Where have I said that a story without drama is a bad story? I said it's an uninteresting time killer. It has nothing to do with popularity either. Gifs or videos with cats are also insanely popular. Are they interesting though? I doubt this. And personally, I won't watch this anime. I caught a glimpse of this anime, and I won't watch it for the very reason I mentioned above. It's uninteresting, plus it's a type of fluff and comedy that doesn't suit my taste. But I will keep reading The Way of the Househusband when I want to relax before going to bed. Because it's my type of comedy and fluff, not because it's interesting.

BlackKnightX

I'm not good at writing it. At all.

But what exactly constitutes drama for you? I feel that almost all stories have it in some way. You mentioned Bofuri but I feel that more than half of the anime/LN in any genre has it in some way.

Would you consider a "senpai notice me" segment drama? Especially when the girl starts whining about it? Even in actual power fantasies like Mahouka... do you consider Shizuku trying to get over her loss to Miyuki drama? Or Honoka's unrequited feelings in the summer vacation chapter? Or most of Raphtalia's moments where she's trying to be encouraging or affectionate towards Naofumi in Shield Hero?

I think that you hate sob story dramas, but do the above mentioned scenarios count?
I hate melodrama, or a sob story drama, if you will. Like you said, every story must have it in some way. It’s just how the narrative works.

Conflict happens and the character try to solve it, then the cycle goes on and on until you get a whole story.

What I don’t like is a stress-inducing drama. Something that makes my stomach churns and makes me feel down for the rest of the day.
Yeah. Where have I said that a story without drama is a bad story? I said it's an uninteresting time killer. It has nothing to do with popularity either. Gifs or videos with cats are also insanely popular. Are they interesting though? I doubt this. And personally, I won't watch this anime. I caught a glimpse of this anime, and I won't watch it for the very reason I mentioned above. It's uninteresting, plus it's a type of fluff and comedy that doesn't suit my taste. But I will keep reading The Way of the Househusband when I want to relax before going to bed. Because it's my type of comedy and fluff, not because it's interesting.
Interesting or not is very subjective, though. It‘s a personal taste. You said that Bofuri is uninteresting while I think otherwise. Like I said, it’s subjective.

Last edited:

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
I watched two episodes of that anime the season it came out and lost interest immediately. I’ve just watched too much anime growing up. These days everything just meshes together and looks the same. I have 328.6 days of anime watched and 238.8 days of manga/light novels read on MAL. This excludes the stupid amount of time I also put into a lot of webcomics and webnovels.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
I think there's two types of readers: those who put themselves in the viewpoint of the main character/s, and those that don't.

I find that those who do put themselves in the viewpoint of the main characters, tend to like power fantasies/fluff better because it's a way of escapism, no one likes having problems after all. And that's why they appreciate drama a lot less.

Those like me, that don't, find the lack of drama boring. It's like watching someone jogging on the streets, not really that interesting, but if that someone trips and falls, it would catch my attention. I find myself detached from the characters and enjoy it when they have a conflict that they must solve, it activates my brain cells.

BlackKnightX

I watched two episodes of that anime the season it came out and lost interest immediately. I’ve just watched too much anime growing up. These days everything just meshes together and looks the same. I have 328.6 days of anime watched and 238.8 days of manga/light novels read on MAL. This excludes the stupid amount of time I also put into a lot of webcomics and webnovels.
Damn, you’re a veteran. 😆
I think there's two types of readers: those who put themselves in the viewpoint of the main character/s, and those that don't.

I find that those who do put themselves in the viewpoint of the main characters, tend to like power fantasies/fluff better because it's a way of escapism, no one likes having problems after all. And that's why they appreciate drama a lot less.

Those like me, that don't, find the lack of drama boring. It's like watching someone jogging on the streets, not really that interesting, but if that someone trips and falls, it would catch my attention. I find myself detached from the characters and enjoy it when they have a conflict that they must solve, it activates my brain cells.
Spot on! I completely agree with you.

I always imagine myself as the main character whenever I watch or read something. I feel what the character feels and experience what they experience.

I wasn’t always like this, though. I grew up watching a lot of dramas. Back then, I really enjoyed it and there was no problem at all. But it was until I started reading my very first novel that I began to imagine myself as the protagonist.

It‘s great because it makes me feel extremely immersed in the story. It’s like I’ve been there for real. The downside is just like you have guessed, I don’t enjoy the drama anymore, and only crave excitement and happiness.

Last edited:

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Damn, you’re a veteran. 😆

Spot on! I completely agree with you.

I always imagine myself as the main character whenever I watch or read something. I feel what the character feels and experience what they experience.

I wasn’t always like this, though. I grew up watching a lot of dramas. Back then, I really enjoyed it and there was no problem at all. But it was until I started reading my very first novel that I began to imagine myself as the protagonist.

It‘s great because it makes me feel extremely immersed in the story. It’s like I’ve been there for real. The downside is just like you have guessed, I don’t enjoy the drama anymore, and only crave excitement and happiness.
I find it amazing how people can put themselves in the shoes of the main characters, I don't mean this as an insult either, I'm damn serious. Like even if "blank slate" protagonists exist, they aren't truly something that everyone can relate with, sure I find characters that have relatable traits, but that's the end of it. Hard to imagine myself as a guy that has a different favorite food, let alone someone who makes entirely different decisions, sure I can understand their reasoning, but I can't really immerse myself. Which is strange, considering I used to roleplay quite a bit.

BlackKnightX

I find it amazing how people can put themselves in the shoes of the main characters, I don't mean this as an insult either, I'm damn serious. Like even if "blank slate" protagonists exist, they aren't truly something that everyone can relate with, sure I find characters that have relatable traits, but that's the end of it. Hard to imagine myself as a guy that has a different favorite food, let alone someone who makes entirely different decisions, sure I can understand their reasoning, but I can't really immerse myself. Which is strange, considering I used to roleplay quite a bit.
Blank slate character is alright, but I wouldn’t read it if I have to choose. I can imagine myself as anyone as long as they don’t do something I don’t like or disagree with. Or else, I’ll feel disconnected and just quit right away.