What do you think about fluff?

BlackKnightX

When I say fluff, I mean the moment in the story where there isn’t much plot progression. Fluffy moment, as I like to call it, is when the characters display affections to one another to the point of guaranteeing you to be diagnosed with diabetes.

Or to put it more simply, it’s the comforting and relaxing moment in the story. There’s no angst or drama or conflict for the readers to be on high alert. The readers can just turn their brain off and have fun.

So, if go by this definition, what do you think about fluff?

ElijahRyne

Not that Lazy…
Too much can be a problem, but generally, if used correctly, it adds to the story. I don’t want a fluffy moment if it doesn’t make sense contextually. 8/10 good, fun, and just generaly enjoyable. Too much fluff in a story it becomes boring at best annoying at worst.

Think of it like face slapping, once or twice every couple of arcs is fine, but when you do so every TEN chapters *cough*End of the Magic Era *cough* I start to grow pissed.

EternalSunset0

I feel that it's better in visual media than writing, but I find it necessary at times since there are some aspects of a character that you'll never get a chance to see if the plot keeps going full speed.

As a writer, I usually put fluff at the first half of a volume because I feel that once the main plot of the arc has begun going, there's not much space for fluff. Maybe a short scene or two in between all the plot moments or the action, but even those typically end up having a segment that relates to the main plot of the arc.

BlackKnightX

Too much can be a problem, but generally, if used correctly, it adds to the story. I don’t want a fluffy moment if it doesn’t make sense contextually. 8/10 good, fun, and just generaly enjoyable. Too much fluff in a story it becomes boring at best annoying at worst.

Think of it like face slapping, once or twice every couple of arcs is fine, but when you do so every TEN chapters *cough*End of the Magic Era *cough* I start to grow pissed.
I agree with you on that, but weirdly enough, when you start a new story with the same face-slapping moments, you won’t get as bored for a little while. 😂

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
Quit putting fluff on a spectrum and assuming you can only develop one thread at a time. The only reason you notice fluff is when it cleanly separates from the main plot and has nothing to do with the main events. if your readers are turning off their brain in "fluffy" moments, they're turning it off for any development you try to write in.

Fluff is just another term for character development in the absence of narrative development and stakes. There's nothing wrong with it, and you can enjoy it, but psychologically speaking, we care more when there's higher stakes to things. I care more about gambling one hundred dollars than i do ten bucks. It's why nobody will call MGS4's Meryl and Johnny getting hitched in a gunfight "fluff." The stakes are high and it resolves hanging plot threads. If it was just a scene of them holding hands or whatever, with no clear and present danger and no relation to giant nuclear mecha, it's fluff.

ElijahRyne

Not that Lazy…
I agree with you on that, but weirdly enough, when you start a new story with the same face-slapping moments, you won’t get as bored for a little while. 😂
Yeah, face slapping is fun, but when your 800 chapters in, and starting from ~chapter 15 the story has been on a 10 chapter cycle of introduce baddy, cool story telling and world building, baddy does something and interrupts the moment, face slap, you have an issue….

Armored99

Harem-phobic
fluff is quite weird. Chekhov's gun principle boils down to everything mentioned must be relevant to the story, but fluff doesn't advance the story or show character change or provide new info. Which does go against Chekhov, however there are often Many scenes in stories that also do this. If you read lewd, or lascivious novels the part containing graphic content aren't oft important to progressing the narrative. They're purely there for the readers sexual enjoyment. There are other reasons such as adding more abstract themes to the story. If you wan't to emphasize a contrast of themes you may want to have a point in the story that is filled with fluff and another with the extreme opposite. So fluff is okay if you believe it to be appropriate for the story and have a reason, even if it's as simple as 'the readers will like it.'

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
When I say fluff, I mean the moment in the story where there isn’t much plot progression. Fluffy moment, as I like to call it, is when the characters display affections to one another to the point of guaranteeing you to be diagnosed with diabetes.

Or to put it more simply, it’s the comforting and relaxing moment in the story. There’s no angst or drama or conflict for the readers to be on high alert. The readers can just turn their brain off and have fun.

As long as it is executed well and is not overused I approve.

BlackKnightX

fluff is quite weird. Chekhov's gun principle boils down to everything mentioned must be relevant to the story, but fluff doesn't advance the story or show character change or provide new info. Which does go against Chekhov, however there are often Many scenes in stories that also do this. If you read lewd, or lascivious novels the part containing graphic content aren't oft important to progressing the narrative. They're purely there for the readers sexual enjoyment. There are other reasons such as adding more abstract themes to the story. If you wan't to emphasize a contrast of themes you may want to have a point in the story that is filled with fluff and another with the extreme opposite. So fluff is okay if you believe it to be appropriate for the story and have a reason, even if it's as simple as 'the readers will like it.'
What‘s fun will be fun no matter what. Whether it advances the plot or not doesn’t really matter. I’ll read it anyway if it’s fun.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
What‘s fun will be fun no matter what. Whether it advances the plot or not doesn’t really matter. I’ll read it anyway if it’s fun.
that's a cool mindset to have, but there's a reason why the term "too much fun" isn't used that often.

fluff too much and even the fluffiest of sheep would graze you off like an iron spike.

Jemini

One of the things that make the works of the Great Hayao Miyazaki as great as they are is how he was able to make use of the silent moments, and the humanizing moments in order to better emphasize the character, form a connection for the viewer, and allow the viewer a moment to recover from the previous action moment.

Mephi

Fluffy fur is the best. Next question.

Joking aside. World building is good. Slice of life scenes with character development is good.

Just remember - Everything in moderation is good.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Fluff is good. I like it a lot more than pretentious action or power of friendship monologues.

Even better if you combine your fluff with world or character building