What do you think is the most scariest monster in Anime, LN, WN, or Manga?

sereminar

The protagonist: unkillable, frequently creepy, will suddenly become more powerful, sometimes collects people like objects and forces them to fight on mc's behalf, sometimes a killing machine, sometimes a normal student, but you can never tell which

Last edited:

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Humans.

Let’s be honest, monsters only seem scary because they are misunderstood. Humans are the ones who make them out to be monsters, thus as those who create monsters, are humans not the scariest monsters of all?

Jemini

Politicians.

Doesn't matter what form they take, whether they are part of a nobility or a more bureaucratic setting. It's usually a politician that comes up with the hair-brained idea that royally screws the entire story and ruins the protagonist's life along with the lives of countless others for a large portion of the story moving forward.

(Technically, this would make the early portions of "The Epic of Gilgamesh" the world's first horror story if you look at things from this perspective. It even has the amazing forward thinking to tell the story from the POV of the villain.)

(Also, would this then make "The Labors of Hurcules" the first true wish fulfillment power fantasy? (or at least the first with real fan appeal.) It was basically the antithesis story of "The Epic of Gilgamesh," essentially telling a story with a character that could have been identical to Gilgamesh but with a very different course of life events that managed to make Hurcules turn out exactly the opposite instead. Or rather, by the time Hurcules became king, he was already humbled where as Gilgamesh became king before being humbled and had to go through a whole story's worth of being beat into shape in order to finally stop oppressing his people. The more I think about Hurcules and Gilgamesh, the more I want to see a shonen anime featuring Hurcules as the MC and Gilgamesh as the villain.)

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Humans.

Let’s be honest, monsters only seem scary because they are misunderstood. Humans are the ones who make them out to be monsters, thus as those who create monsters, are humans not the scariest monsters of all?
Or you could say gods, who supposedly made humans . . . unless you believe that humans made gods. It's a chicken and egg thing.

Kaguro

The Beta from MuvLuv seemed quite scary. Aliens that are overwhelmingly powerful, extremely brutal, and view humans as non-living substances no different from minerals. Basically humanity has no chance but to convince them, but they are completely different from what we would consider as a regular lifeform that they similarly do not recognize us. Contact is established, communication is had, and even though they finally understand us, they simply do not care. Probably the scariest enemy concept I've seen in a show.

LimitBound

Saint
Humans.

I think OP meant in terms of looks and not the thing you're talking about.
Also not every monster is misunderstood, they can be just as evil as the human.

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state
Humans.

monsters only goal unless they possess intelligence is to survive and have babies. humans are the real monsters you seek comfort at the expense of your soul and future. nothing matters to your race of sin loving idiots.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
... well this is a weird qn for me, cuz I associate scary/ frightening as cool, so right now when the examples are churn out in thread, all I can think "cool".

Also, Politicians with their stupid ideas can be cool sometimes, fueled by their greed and tried to create a working plan towards their desires, nevermind the thousands they screw. Like when it is a legit plotting, plotting being bad and criminal but thanks to "legit" as in it is approved by law, making MC's method to resolve the issue a thousand times harder.

Offtracking... Hollows in Bleach I guess, especially when one hurts a child for funzy. The hell gate is wicked too.

Junji Ito is a source of nightmare fuel, but thanks to him doing funny shit like anime singing got posted in internet, every bloody time I see a fresh horror, i remembered that its author has a hilarous side and it broke immersion.

yunano34a1

you’re right lol I got surprised when things became deep hahaha

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Misunderstood here as in we lack an understanding of them, not as in sympathizing. The concept of evil is based on perspective and an established reference frame. There is no such thing as evil, only actions that positively or negatively impact one person relative to another.

Things are only scary so long as we lack comprehension of said object of fear. Once we understand their thought processes, what they are, how they operate, and how to deal with them efficiently, they are no longer scary.

At the end of the day, humans are the ones that create manifestations of monsters we see written throughout history. Many stories often find their origins based off of a human as the source material, hence why I say humans are the scariest monsters of all.

D

Deleted member 29316

The author.

They can kill without mercy. Or do perverted stuff with wanton abandon.

AryaX

Ainz from Overlord is rather scary... There is no act so vile that if done by him, fans won't rationalize it and continue worshipping him...

SternenklarenRitter

When I was little, the whomps from super mario 64 scared me with their angry blue faces. And then my sister made me watch neon genesis evangellion.