What do you think makes a good Mob Protagonist story?

I did read a few novels with the tag on NU, like: The Novel's Extra, Ominiscient Reader's Viewpoint, Is it Touh Being a Friend and most recent, Magical Explorer.

In all of these novels, eventually the main characters will stop being a bystander and just become the main character themselves and hog all the spotlight, with their redeeming trait being a mob all gone.

I think one of the most notable offense happen when I read Is it Tough Being a Friend, it progressed on how I think a Mob Protagonist novel goes. The MC only takes out the spotlight and observe, but I kinda stopped reading and eventually dropped it at volume 2. I think the main character takes too much of the spotlight and how the Author made him so powerful doesn't help either--but my last straw broke when he became just like another harem mc when the main heroines kept trying to court him.

It became more like bait-and-switch, I guess--I got tired and disappointed of it.

While I haven't really tried to look up the novels on these sites, I'm planning to check them out and will follow if they fit my preference.

In any case, what do you think makes for a good Mob Protagonist story?

Would it be something where the protagonist actually tries to stay away from the main plot and watching it from the distance, with no Author's intervention to make it hell for him?

Or that he will involve himself in the plot as a minor character, giving help when it counts, with his limited capabilities? (I think Mumen Rider from One Punch Man makes a great example.)

That he's the sole driver of the plot, where his actions and effect are dictated by common sense, rather than the 'story powers' enforcing it on him?

I think it's an intriguing idea, if someone was able to write an actual mob character and make it interesting. so yeah, what stuff do you want to read in these kind of novels?

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
I find that mob protagonists are oxymorons. Supposedly a mob character and yet they're the protagonist you're reading in the story. I tried reading stories with this tag but have left it behind since. It just doesn't work. Either the author misses it entirely or the characterization of a supposed mob character is a joke. I think a good mob character is a character you keep nameless and yet does the work, or at the very least, witness the work happening in the actual protagonist's life. Then again, since I've given up on this tag altogether, I really can't find myself to care enough to think of what makes an interesting mob protag.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Either the protagonist must not be the centre of the event, or it wouldn't be Mod Character.

killme

I've read Wuthering Heights a few years ago, if my memory serves me right, the story of the two people r told from the pov of the maid or someone.
I think wuthering heights is the best example of a mob protagonist story.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
It's a hard trope to execute right for sure... I mean, you need to focus on what they're doing, but they still need to feel like a mob. It's a bit contradictory, though that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I think there are some ways to go about it though... Like... Making a pure slice of life novel, for example. If there is no big plot going on, then you can be a mob the rest of your life just fine.

Another way to go about it would be to try showing how little influence the protagonist has on the grand scheme of things... Like... If you make them be Common Soldier A. Make them get thrown around in the middle of the war and make their exploits feel awesome, but have no real impact on the development of the war. (For example, he can make an epic rescue of troubled allies under enemy fire, and get 50 soldiers that would probably die back home safely... Like, that's super awesome, but the lives of 50 soldiers means nothing in a war with thousands or millions of people involved)

Or maybe make them actually get close to some big shots and maybe influence the actions of those big shots... But at the end of the day, all the MC can do is at most to give their opinion to the nearby big shot, the big guy is the one that will call the cards and decide the future of how things will go. (like uhn... I dunno, make the MC as the advisor to a king, or the maid of a princess... Something along those lines)

That's how I can think of going about it at least. I think it can be a fun trope if done right, but... Well, it needs to be done right, the mob needs to remain a mob, otherwise it loses its point! >.<

Last edited:

Kldran

Best one I've seen is this one:
Observation Record of a Self-proclaimed Villainess’ Fiance
and it's not even a mob main character. It's just telling the story of the main character from the viewpoint of their love interest.

All the stories I've read claiming to be starring a mob main character were not mob main characters. They were main characters who's starting point was a side character in a story, but they were clearly the protagonist of the story being told. Making it more like a form of "I know how this story unfolds, and I'm not supposed to be the lead character, but with my cheat knowledge, I will be."