What do you think makes someone a monster?

LotsChrono

Err, I consider monsters to be abnormal, so basically anything that does not conform under the bell curve of society/ humanity aka outliers I guess.

A hero that is way too strong is considered a monster, no matter how beneficial he/ she is is to the society.

Someone who is so weak (physical/ mentally/ emotionally) that their existence actually requiring constant intervention may be considered a monster/ hindrance of progress.

Likewise, too cold-blooded and you are a freak, too much of it and people think that you are a scheming bastard or hyper-emotional.

Extremism is not good and that is what I think about when you say monster.
Extremism huh. Interesting. Would you consider someone with a freakingly high IQ a monster?

FlutterOfCrows

If I may add myself to the pickle jar;

A monster is any who proclaims themselves as salvation but is the toxin to ruin the happiness of those who looked up to them.
Like a cult leader as an example.

A monster can be any who are too outside conventional norms and their actions are simply unpredictable with or without explanation by them.
Blue/orange morality if you will

A monster might simply be someone who uses their normal or average nature to harm those who cannot or are unable to protect themselves, treating them as naturally inferior.
Like quite a few average folks in more than unusual scenarios, like in apocalypse stories.

Razogul

Well, there are different classifications to what makes someone a monster.

If someone has too much strength, they'll be called a monster by others due to how powerful they are. A person able to destroy a moon instantly can be a cause for being considered a monster.

Depending on a person's ethics/morals, you can also be called a monster. For example, someone who can do extremely sinister things without any remorse.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
A monster is the existing evil of one's person's heart that fears those around him. If anything, it is a title of those whose wickedness has gone to the point of no return, in which cannot be forgiven, and with no means for the monster to redeem himself. It is not the same as a kind person who poses himself as a bad guy—reasons being, to save someone's life and change the world. A monster has already lost its common sense, rationality, and poses threat to everyone. And since we're all humans with mixed similarities to an animal, there's no point in pointing what a monster usually looks like.

Moreover, the monster can be an intellectual or an obsessive killer—depending on what that monster usually was when he was a child. In psychological, the monster is typically yourself—yet you're unaware of that fact—you travel along with a world that doesn't exist. It makes you understand the guilt, and test if you can take them—saving yourself or becoming a monster if you give up.

Usually, it isn't the appearance that makes a person a monster. Take, for example, Kira from Death Note; he poses himself to save the world by changing it using a Death Note and kills every criminal until he started losing his purpose by killing civilians. His actions become unjustified, and his mental state being torn apart—a sign of becoming a monster. At this point, he has overwhelming power with an unrivaled genius that poses a threat to be called a monster.

Now then, philosophically speaking, what is a monster? I think you know that a monster is more than what you're speaking about. A monster is a by-product of a human who experienced extreme despair, suffering, and pain in this world. As you know, if there is no human in this world, then nothing is happening. Animals and insects don't cause anything in the world, moreover, it is us that harness their capability to destroy the world.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Extremism huh. Interesting. Would you consider someone with a freakingly high IQ a monster?
Yes.

Like I said, anything that isn't conformed to the norms.

It is kind of sad as it is literally hammering nails that stick out. The feeling can be born out of jealousy, fear and inferiority and can result in the masses condemning those who excelled. Alienation can occur to those who excel as they ended up with no peers beside them, like what Coyote Starrk stated.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
Yes.

It is kind of sad as it is literally hammering nails that stick out. The feeling can be born out of jealousy, fear and inferiority and can result in the masses condemning those who excelled. Alienation can occur to those who excel as they ended up with no peers beside them, like what Coyote Starrk stated.
So basically, most of the popularity in the U.S. specifically in Detroit is a monster.

"Well done, lad. The Beatles are all dead." lol

LilTV1155

Something that humans fear, scorn, rarely attempts to understand and commonly mistreat due to their first impressions of a creature's physical / spiritual / other differences or their recognition of what the creature is lacking in Humane qualities.

Ex. Witch. - Could be magic human/half-blood, other species, etc. but hated by religions as "Monsters."

At the same time while trying to keep a distance from Beings called Monsters, Humans are still drawn to the Monstrousity for some reasons like magnet regardless of malicious or goodwilled intents.

Ex. 1. Fear a rat and run, but will chase the rat to kill.

Ex.2. See a beast powerful, will try to tame, domesticate, subjugate, or enslave.

Ex. 3. Romance books regardless of secondary genre about Supernaturals, Bad Guys, Criminals, or about Characters who are Cynical, Violent, Cruel, "Beastly" and also JackA. Some of them has traits of scumbags, cheaters, and abusers. But it just happens that in some of those stories, Humanity want to "Fix/Correct" those "Monsters."

Last edited:

LotsChrono

Yes.

I see, I see. Well well, thanks for your answers~

Agentt

Thighs
I have a character that you might find interesting.
She is a magical girl.
And like all magical girl, she kills monsters. She doesn't care about families or friends or anything like that, if you are a monster, you should be dead.
Its not like she is cruel, she is very kind, she even befriends monsters, but its is simply common sense to her that at the end of the day, monsters have to die.

We can even look at this in reverse manner, she doesn't believe humans can ever do wrong. The source of all evil and wrongness are monsters, people do bad things under their influence.

So, no matter how bad a human might be, she will be as kind as a mother, and no matter how good a monster might be, well, they have to die. Its not her choice, its the law of nature.

MoodyFoxCat

What do you think makes someone a monster? Just getting opinions for my next novella. So, just give me your honest thoughts.
There are many ways to consider someone to be a "monster." It doesn't only mean determining them by distinct physical features or by how their interactions with others are perceived but also through the mental and emotional accompaniment that follows to take effect. A monster in my view is simply those who are afraid to accept reality and another existence's nature in the same world but not to those who are already there that have settled down already with their own views. Instead of holding on to the idea of co-existing, the choice made was the hard way of life, until death or at least when that moment of regret comes to pass.

We label monsters based upon many things, by how strong they are, how intelligent they could be or even a mix of both and possibly in some other features that make themselves unique but for a human would think, a material worth nothing more than to transform into a nightmare because to humanity, we see it not as a friend but instead as a potential foe that we should just give coal and feed burnt toasts instead.

One would also say both sides can be monsters that draw attention which could result in a negative outcome but only if that's what they really want in the first place if so then it's only a matter of prejudice before those who are innocent becomes the real embodiment of the consequences they brought upon themselves instead. Such is that hard fact overlooked upon by many and while there are some who do see it, well that is up to them to choose whether to snuff out the flame or throw firewood into the fireplace.

For me, I think a monster isn't necessarily just a being that looks different than a human, it's rather the way humans view something that's not like them that we view it so differently because of human nature and thus the true monster reveals itself.

I dont care what anyone says. A man who puts milk before cereal isnt human.

no wonder i doubt my humanity a lot

==

I think a monster is someone who will give you xp, gold and item drops when you kill them :D /

you know who is the monster when it's displayed as a red dot in your interface map.

PhillisCreziles

﹤Once a Potato﹥
This may sound confusing, but hear me out. I think that not having traits that the majority or a person considers as "human/normal" is what makes someone a monster.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I dont care what anyone says. A man who puts milk before cereal isnt human.
What if they dip their cereal individually into the milk?
This may sound confusing, but hear me out. I think that not having traits that the majority or a person considers as "human/normal" is what makes someone a monster.
Way to slap the DSM on the table.

witch_sorrowful

Mmm, Monke.
So, the word "Monster" has taken too many meanings in the 20th century. The original meaning is a "malformed human". Which is why Frankenstein's monster is a protagonist in the story.

To me, the best sort of antagonist monstrosity that you can find are the Lovercraftian horrors. Monsters who defy understanding or human logic of all kind: the sort of things that cannot be understood, cannot be even dealt with, and the protagonists must live with their actions, just like they would have to live against the actions of nature.

MoodyFoxCat

So, the word "Monster" has taken too many meanings in the 20th century. The original meaning is a "malformed human". Which is why Frankenstein's monster is a protagonist in the story.

To me, the best sort of antagonist monstrosity that you can find are the Lovercraftian horrors. Monsters who defy understanding or human logic of all kind: the sort of things that cannot be understood, cannot be even dealt with, and the protagonists must live with their actions, just like they would have to live against the actions of nature.
I like to just let out that I too thought of Frankenstein before I posted my reply earlier lol