What Element should my Mc use?

• Total voters

Poleg

736x.jpg

The sun

RootBeerBert

Was definitely popular growing up
Cool.

If you want to have a greater amount of references, the anime Seikon no Quaser is all about fighting using the periodic table. The mc can control the element Ferron (iron), there are some that can use Chlorine, Argent (Silver), Aurum (Gold), et cetera.
Thanks!
I like how fire has gotten almost completely shafted in this vote.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Not knowing your story, I would recommend against power creep.

For HKN, I focused on Water, and nothing else. I worked out new and interesting ways to exploit water. Water, then Ice, then steam, then Ice-7 (Which is basically Ice that is interlocked with itself to be twice as dense as normal ice, well... 180% as dense) so creating it at normal pressures is rather explosive. Then Worked on how to vibrate water and use it to make speakers. Then how to oxygenate, how to create water with Tritium hydrogen. While he can't use nukes in this world, he can add more neutrons so his conjured water is even DENSER then any other water. You get hit with Water that has 8 extra neutrons per water molecule and I promise you, that's got a bit of heft to it

Each level of 'power' was based on extrapolating from known science and how I could ABUSE said water magic if I was an army core engineer with a hobby of trying to figure out how gravity works.

KNAO IZ HAV WATR POWRZ!!!

Would suck.

You have Yin powers. Stick with Yin powers. Find new and interesting ways to abuse the powers you have, don't give the MC new powers.

GUESS WHAT? (Come here. Got a secret)

*looks around*

The audience knows the MC is going to win.

YEAH? I know! I bet you thought you fooled them, but NOPE, they know he might get some set backs, but he won't ever 'lose'. So... the point isn't to figure out if your MC wins. The reader wants to know HOW he wins and what it costs him to win. They want to know what PRICE the MC will pay, and how he's going to figure it out.

I asked a while ago for people to help me figure out how to solve a tough problem and the solutions I were suggested were "APPLY MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF POWER"

BOR-RING.

I figured out a solution that was creative and side stepped the problem, but it does highlight a problem around here. The solution is often: GET A BIGGER HAMMER or GET A DIFFERENT HAMMER.

The reader doesn't want to watch the MC hammer nails. They want the MC to figure out how to MacGyver the problem. They want the MC to fix the universe with chewing gum, an irate lobster, and duct tape.

So, the reason the pole says NO - 12 and is the leading answer to your pole (at this moment) is because it isn't interesting. It's dull, it's boring, it's been done before. Figure out a solution that uses something he already has, have the MC get better with what he's got, or...

HAVE THE MC LOSE.

Not... permanently, but it's okay for bad things to happen from time to time. Lets the MC come back from getting his ass handed to him. Builds character. Makes them THINK and prepare an it increases the stakes. Now we know this isn't a joke.

----

Great example: Stargate SG-1

In the first season, they have an episode where the gate accidentally connects to a stargate that is falling into a singularity. Great episode. It fucks up the stargate and because of time distortion goes around the limitation that all stargates will close when they have been open too long.

Later on, they have a problem. A supergate. They want to close it. How? They dial it up while dropping another stargate into a singularity. The additional power of the black hole lets the gate connect, and then... it stays connected. Now the badguys can't get in from the other galaxy via the supergate.

They DIDN'T give the SG-1 crew new powers. They used old powers in new ways. They could have made a 'Supergate Destroying Raygun". That would have SUCKED.

Get my point?

Last edited:

RootBeerBert

Was definitely popular growing up
Quit retreading the same old Aristoltian element tropes. I'm bored of them.
Never! But those aren’t the only ones, just the basics even normal people have. The cool and unique ones go to important characters.

RICHIESPIDER505

I’ve actually been making good progress climbing out of my hiatus hole and have almost got to the point where I can start updating chapters again. But I was curious on what element my Mc should use. She’ll primarily use Dark (or Yin) but I was thinking of having her use a secondary element. Since I can’t think up which ones I’ll look at everyone else’s thoughts and votes and decide.

Note: The elements aren’t limited to the uses listed they’re just the basic uses of the element
I will chose Yang because it mostly light and cover up weakness of yin and give more opportunities for future of the character be good or evil