What Genre/Concept appeal to you?

AryaX

1. "Light-hearted"... (there could be some "drama", but persistent angst, depression, etc... no thanks!)
2. Gender Bender (Male to Female) protagonist
3. Non-human "female" protagonist... Robot, Alien, Vampire, Demon, Elf, Slime, ...
4. Yuri

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
psychology fighting stories. not those Death Notes or battle of the wits type of shit, but the philosophy of fighting itself. i'm talking about stories like Baki, or Kengan, where logic and power scaling is put on the backseat for the different philosophies on martial art and the intricacies put within their fighting styles that reflect the origins of their discipline. those type of shit.

EternalSunset0

Something that reminds me of my favorite weeb stuff, hopefully some urban fantasy thing with chuuni things in it like the To Aru series or Shakugan no Shana. I generally like sci-fi + supernatural stories (like those onmyouji/demons/gods in modern Japan things, example being Tokyo Ravens, Noragami, Strike the Blood). That, or "X-men" series.

I don't mind Isekai, but I prefer a near-future modern world setting over the RPG worlds that most Isekai go to. More Mahouka over Shield Hero in terms of setting, basically. Although I do love some good fantasy adventures like Magi. So, something like those when I'm looking for a novel to read.

Laeyioun

|Daydreaming Literate Mon~key|
Tragedy— romanticism is one of my favourite type of storytelling. The gritty, dark world of realistic proportion with an ever so creepingly disturbing undertone of an out of context problem.

I also love insanely-determined characters, because they are the ones who did the impossible, did the unthinkable, and did the most insane things, even though it is down-right foolish because they held onto their belief——— They will suffer eternally for the sake of one glimpse of their illusionary hope.

There is a certain beauty in self-sacrifice for the sake of 'greater good', especially those kinds of "can quit any time, but if you continued to suffer for an eternity, you might have a small chance of meeting your lover again." suffering.

Absolute despair also works— a hopeless situation of having one's fate decided by an infinitely greater being at whims.

Lastly, I also prefer the dramatic irony that resulted in an unforgivable mistake, irreversible damage, or generally the sudden realisation of the tragic consequence from ignorance.

All in all, I want more permanence in the storyline— permanence loss, lasting consequence— they serve as a reason for the mistake, and also a progression of characters.
I absolutely agree! Stuff like these + psychology really hits home for me. It sorta brings out the awe in me, and helps me become invested and immersed emotionally.

Laeyioun

|Daydreaming Literate Mon~key|
Psychopaths and sociopaths, tragic anti-heroes, character development and growth, betrayals, hypocrites and flawed characters, terrifying opposition and antagonists, going against destiny and fate, time travel - loops - paradoxes, danger at every corner, unreliable narrator and unforgiving plot-armor, foreshadowing and twists that are planted early on and are absolutely well-executed, detailed trinkets about the world

Politics, Psychology, Philosophy, Meaningful Dialogues, World-Culture-Kingdom-Lorebuilding, Scheming, Tactics, Strategy, Planning, Manipulation, Acting - Scamming - Deceiving, Communication and information battles or misdirection, Not Geniuses but Logical and Hardworking Strong-willed protagonists

Also beliefs, morals, ideas, and views that aren't the way they seem on the surface. Usually a grey-morals story would incorporate it.

Last edited:

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
I love the magical girl genre, especially the ones with whacked-out fight scenes with actual consequences to the characters involved. I also really like doppelgängers and alter egos and shadow selves and false/fluid/secret identities and hidden family secrets brought to the surface. Also, dimension-hopping, temporary/permanent time-tripping, false memories and repressed traumas, inclusions of historical/fictional characters/locales from the public domain (literary homages), symbolism and metaphors and allegories, etc. Also, occult detective PIs (from my reading of occult detective stories) and police procedures (from my reading of police procedurals), historical military units and weaponry, and other anachronistic inclusions that make you wonder, WTF is going on here?

Jessie_Emilyn

It varies on my mood honestly. I guess I do like fantasy a lot but sci-fi is something I would be interesting in reading more of but I think with sci-fi I am more picky about them (sci-fi can be very broad with likes and dislikes). I generally am fine with or without romance but usually go a little more without or at least not a romance focus. Romance wise my standards are lower for woman-woman since I like lesbian relationships more and then hetrosexual romances have to be more a certain level and man-man based romance have to really be pretty high standard. Thats just a taste thing and maybe tied a little to sexuality based stuff (even if I am ace I think I have a slight trend towards lesbian and wonder how much me being ace is tied to baggage in my life).

Speaking of guilty pleasures I can like gender bend stuff a lot but again pretty picky. I have often found women to men to be lower quality (or I just have higher standards for it) and I do prefer meaningful stories over too much gag stuff (I can be a pretty serious person at times so it is more I like a stronger plot if going to have gag stuff).

I guess the real thing is catch me at the right mood and my reading list expands a lot, catch me at the wrong mood and even reading is going to be a very problematic thing to manage. However I generallly avoid certain tags like horror (not talking about action with themes that use to be horror but things that actually try and do horror).

Anyway current mood? Pretty narrow and would be a more resistant to reading one but maybe continue stuff I am already reading but nothing new, just one of those things...

thedude3445

I like stories where very memorable characters bounce off of each other constantly and the plot is more of an excuse to bring characters together. Alternatively, I like stories that focus on huge ideas, usually sci-fi or magical realism or metafiction, that go into crazy places even at the expense of memorable characters. I also like me a good old fashioned Adventure, the kind where years pass and characters grow so much that when you go back to reread chapter 5 you're struck with a sense of nostalgia, almost.

OkuraTsukiko

[Peace was never an option]
Comedy and Slice of Life, basically wholesome things. Whether it's romance or just a group of friends joking around each other. For example, a former yakuza who is now an expert housewife. That's my go-to concept or maybe something with irl knowledge that could help me in the future.

Those knowledgeable books that I have are Cells at Work, Shokugeki no Souma, and mostly cooking comics.

Wintertime

King of Nothing
I actually like a good-hearted one.
And Battle royale, for some reason.

Mack_Frantz

I love fantasy, sci fi, adventure, action and quite a bit of comedy to break the flavour ;)