What genre fits a story that is just quotes?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45782
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45782

If the story is just consisting of inspiring/etc quotes and whatnot, does it count as a nonfiction genre?
What if we wanted share a story of quotes for others to see? Just quotes.
Just a thought, nothing more.

Second question, what kind of genre would it count, in ScribbleHub terms? (bc some genres are not listed on SH, so got to find next closest one).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace_Raven

If the story is just consisting of inspiring/etc quotes and whatnot, does it count as a nonfiction genre?

Second question, what kind of genre would it count, in ScribbleHub terms? (bc some genres are not listed on SH, so got to find next closest one).
Probably, inspirational or historical if done right.

But, if it's literally only filled quotes. then that probably isn't story.

Could be book of quotes (i don't know what the proper term) or maybe an anthology.

EternalSunset0

I second Ace. I don't think it counts as a story if it's just quotes.

Genre probably depends on the content you have, I guess? Try to set a coherent theme for your quotes. That is, if you have to force it, but I really don't think it's a story.

D

Deleted member 45782

True, I think wanted go for a book of quotes.
I second Ace. I don't think it counts as a story if it's just quotes.

Genre probably depends on the content you have, I guess? Try to set a coherent theme for your quotes. That is, if you have to force it, but I really don't think it's a story.
What if its scattered everywhere? Or just motivational quotes? Any genre that would fit in, since it stills need to have a genre tag?

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
Psychology.
I have story on Scribblehub that I planned to only use quotes, but ended up making the protagonist talk a lot instead.

D

Deleted member 45782

Psychology.
Ah I see. Since its motivational/inspiring quotes, I guess I can fit it in there...

Onto another question: what genre is a how-to story? Its not really a story (but it is what we put it into on SH). Its has a few outlines and a very simplistic explanation for how to use the outline. This would count as a non-fiction genre right?

But what other genre could it be tagged in on SH? And what tag can fit a writing-outline tips series on SH?

Thanks!

BubbleC

Floating Idiot
Ah I see. Since its motivational/inspiring quotes, I guess I can fit it in there...

Onto another question: what genre is a how-to story? Its not really a story (but it is what we put it into on SH). Its has a few outlines and a very simplistic explanation for how to use the outline. This would count as a non-fiction genre right?

But what other genre could it be tagged in on SH? And what tag can fit a writing-outline tips series on SH?

Thanks!
A how-to story would be non-fiction, yeah. But, since that's not a genre on Scribble Hub, you could maybe call it a slice-of-life? Or you could choose the genre based on the tone of the story. If it has a comedic undertone, you could add the comedy genre. Conversely, if there's a darker, more philosophical tone, then you could use the psychological genre.

As for tags, here are the ones I think may work: Modern day, modern knowledge, modern time, philosophical, writers (and other profession tags that are relevant such as artists or editors), collection of short stories, short story, and episodic.

And here are some snarky tags to add for satirical or comedic "how-to" series: Heaven, hell, helpful protagonist, master-disciple relationship, fourth wall, enlightenment, skill books, student-teacher relationship, strong to stronger, sudden strength gain, weak to strong.

D

Deleted member 45782

A how-to story would be non-fiction, yeah. But, since that's not a genre on Scribble Hub, you could maybe call it a slice-of-life? Or you could choose the genre based on the tone of the story. If it has a comedic undertone, you could add the comedy genre. Conversely, if there's a darker, more philosophical tone, then you could use the psychological genre.

As for tags, here are the ones I think may work: Modern day, modern knowledge, modern time, philosophical, writers (and other profession tags that are relevant such as artists or editors), collection of short stories, short story, and episodic.

And here are some snarky tags to add for satirical or comedic "how-to" series: Heaven, hell, helpful protagonist, master-disciple relationship, fourth wall, enlightenment, skill books, student-teacher relationship, strong to stronger, sudden strength gain, weak to strong.
Thanks. Yeah, I can't find nonfiction genre on here so I put the Writing Outline tips into slice of life.
Thanks, for a more philosophical and motivational things like quotes, I guess I'll just put it under psychology.
And tag it as modern stuff.
Thanks.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

Thanks!
Non-fiction implies that the novel is not fictional, as in it's real life.

But from how you describe it, it's not even a novel, so it doesn't fit non-fiction. Unfortunately, to post it on SH you need to specify a genre, so you have to choose one. On other sites, such things are classified as "Poetry, drabbles, motivational", unfortunately SH doesn't have that. Maybe you can ask @Tony to add it, assuming that there is no rule against non-story submissions.

You do need to ensure that there is no issue with copyright, though. It's one thing to quote someone and insert it into conversations or part of a story. It's another to collect them all and compile them into a book, with you as the 'author'. Sure, Sun Tzu won't be able to bring you to court for quoting him talking about mosquitoes, balls and violence, but it could affect your reputation as an author in more ways than one.

Why not instead write a novel based around a quote? Ai-chan has a story where each chapter revolves around each line of a song's lyric, titled Spare Me Your Innocence. For example, the line "Your lies, your insufferable lies" is a chapter about how the girlfriend lies to the protagonist while thinking she's doing the protagonist a favour by lying. You could do that with your quotes.

Last edited:

Sylvie

Those days are gone, now the memory's on the wall

But from how you describe it, it's not even a novel, so it doesn't fit non-fiction. Unfortunately, to post it on SH you need to specify a genre, so you have to choose one. On other sites, such things are classified as "Poetry, drabbles, motivational", unfortunately SH doesn't have that. Maybe you can ask @Tony to add it, assuming that there is no rule against non-story submissions.

You do need to ensure that there is no issue with copyright, though. It's one thing to quote someone and insert it into conversations or part of a story. It's another to collect them all and compile it into a book, with you as the 'author'. Sure, Sun Tzu won't be able to bring you to court for quoting him talking about mosquitoes, balls and violence, but it could affect your reputation as an author in more ways than one.

Why not instead write a novel based around a quote? Ai-chan has a story where each chapter revolves around each line of a song's lyric, titled Spare Me Your Innocence. You could do that with your quotes.
I do not think that copyrights have ever been much of a problem when it comes to webnovels that do not directly earn any money. You can consider it similar to fan fictions right? Also ScribbleHub is described as the home of fiction so I'm not sure if there are rules against that kind of posts.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
I do not think that copyrights have ever been much of a problem when it comes to webnovels that do not directly earn any money. You can consider it similar to fan fictions right? Also ScribbleHub is described as the home of fiction so I'm not sure if there are rules against that kind of posts.
Yes, copyrights have not been much of a problem with webnovels that do not earn money. However, that is not to say 'never', people have been sent C&D for writing fanfiction before. In the early 2000s, there were plenty of fanfictions of Anne Rice's vampire novels, but Anne Rice stated in a mailing list that she hated fanfictions, and some threats were probably issued causing all fanfictions of Anne Rice's novels removed from fanfiction.net. Some fanfiction authors who wrote those novels were threatened with legal actions, which they would likely lose because Anne Rice had a lot of money and could afford to hire very good lawyers with it.

As for the legality, fanfiction is not legal. Yes, it's illegal. The only reason it's still around is that authors ignore them. That being said, it's not the copyright itself that Ai-chan caution the OP about, but the ramification of compiling all the quotes into one book authored by him and its effect on his reputation as an author.

Sylvie

Those days are gone, now the memory's on the wall
Yes, copyrights have not been much of a problem with webnovels that do not earn money. However, that is not to say 'never', people have been sent C&D for writing fanfiction before. In the early 2000s, there were plenty of fanfictions of Anne Rice's vampire novels, but Anne Rice stated in a mailing list that she hated fanfictions, and some threats were probably issued causing all fanfictions of Anne Rice's novels removed from fanfiction.net. Some fanfiction authors who wrote those novels were threatened with legal actions, which they would likely lose because Anne Rice had a lot of money and could afford to hire very good lawyers with it.

As for the legality, fanfiction is not legal. Yes, it's illegal. The only reason it's still around is that authors ignore them. That being said, it's not the copyright itself that Ai-chan caution the OP about, but the ramification of compiling all the quotes into one book authored by him and its effect on his reputation as an author.
Oh! I wasn't aware of this. I was under the impression that fanfiction was legal as long as they were non income generating. Thank you for the info.

D

Deleted member 45782

You do need to ensure that there is no issue with copyright, though. It's one thing to quote someone and insert it into conversations or part of a story. It's another to collect them all and compile them into a book, with you as the 'author'. Sure, Sun Tzu won't be able to bring you to court for quoting him talking about mosquitoes, balls and violence, but it could affect your reputation as an author in more ways than one.

Why not instead write a novel based around a quote? Ai-chan has a story where each chapter revolves around each line of a song's lyric, titled Spare Me Your Innocence. For example, the line "Your lies, your insufferable lies" is a chapter about how the girlfriend lies to the protagonist while thinking she's doing the protagonist a favour by lying. You could do that with your quotes.
Okay I understand the copyright. And I understand that the quotes won't be nonfiction, however a outline how to writing guide story might be one. No, it's not gonna be direct quotations from someone else. Can't really find genre for these here so trying plug it in the next closest genre. If I do that, then it'll probably be someone decades to centuries ago, as historical figures and what they say. But mostly, the quotes are just what I wanna share, idk if anyone else has written them but it is quotes that I wrote, like an advice to myself and others for motivation so sorta like something that one makes up themselves. I'm gonna come up with my own words for quote books. It's sorta like a way of self encouragement, but pretty sure others wouldn't mind hearing the encouragement too.