What genre/kind of short story do you like to read?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45782
  • Start date

What genre do you prefer reading short stories in?

• Horror

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Comedy

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Slice of Life

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Romance

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Mystery

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Tragedy

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Sci-Fi

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member 45782

Trying to see maybe should come up with a short story. Start into it slowly again. Help release some steam.

What kind of genre do you like to read short stories in if you do read them?

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
A short story's biggest potential, to me, is the advantage on leaving an open-ended conclusion.

I'm pointing not to the genres but more to the structure as a whole. A short story's AMAZING in conveying certain concepts that don't have potential to be stretched out into a series but just enough to get people thinking. Say rhetorical questions, or actions of man in certain situations. It almost works on any genres, from the most harrowing of horrors to the most laid-back of Slaisu-offu-Laifus.

Grab some random thoughts you'd have before you go to bed, like: What if a rat was hired as a caretaker for an elderly cobra? Or: What would daily life be like in a deserted world where only you and living essentials exist? Or: If cows took the place of humans, would they slaughter us for skin as we did with them? Or: What if the aliens are already here?

You know, strange shower thoughts and stuff.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
Out of those choices, I'm going with comedy, though romance is a close second. I'm currently into romance right now.

melbisbelbis

None of these. Short stories excel in specifically emotional subgenres. Psychological, emotional, and depressing short stories are by far the best to me.

D

Deleted member 45782

None of these. Short stories excel in specifically emotional subgenres. Psychological, emotional, and depressing short stories are by far the best to me.
forgot about the tragedy part. yeah. if its something tragic, i prefer reading a short story and done, so i don't go for long ride through many chapters just to mull over how the story ends, even if i know how it will go eventually.

I don't really read short stories. If I want to read them, I'd like it to be funny as fuck.

The thing about short stories is you can just make the plot as absurd as you want and just leave it like that. It has so much potential.