What genres/tags do you read?

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
This is just a casual preliminary survey.

If you were to go to SH or RRL or NU or any fiction site that has advanced search/genre rankings, which ones do you frequently click on to see a detailed list?

For me, I follow these genres/tags
  • Gender bender
  • Josei
  • Female protagonist (NU tag)
  • Kingdom building (NU tag)

Ophious

〖Failed to be active〗〖Digging out of my grave〗
The tags would be:
Multiple POV
LitRPG or Game Element
And Misunderstanding
The genre's would usually be:
Fantasy
Comedy
Or Romance

HappyVainGlory

I usually look for "Second Chance" and any 'Another World' tags, but most of the time I'll pick a story at random from the top rankings to see why people rate it so highly.

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
As long as it is not bl or any of the ntr tags, I am fine with it. I do tend to avoid gb too.

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
I don't really follow tags, more avoid certain tags:
Harem, Mecha, Lolicon
Black Belly, Yandere

Are the main ones I avoid.

Oh and Litrpg as well.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
I like LitRPG, and try to avoid the harem tag.

Lately i've been reading isekai female protagonist for a different perspective to all the male isekais.

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
I love me the Transmigration, Rebirth, Reincarnation, Second Chance, Black Belly tags,

Given a choice, I will prefer female protagonists but that's only because I'm spoiled for choice. \o/

I avoid, like the plague, Harem cause that is just an overused mule in CN novels and usually done badly.

However, I looooooooooove imperial harem novels because the infighting is vicious. >.> Dem ladies are badass. <.<

Miserys_End

[Lv1 Pretend Person] Im the person I pretend to be
Tags I watch for: Isekai, reincarnation, transmigration, game elements, weak to strong, romance, polygamy, fantasy, sword and magic,
Tags I avoid: reverse harem, anything BL related, horror, rape, most ntr, genderbender if its permanent, traumatizing content..

I also want place the comedy tag as a to look for, but frankly just about every novel has the comedy tag for some reason...

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
I love me the Transmigration, Rebirth, Reincarnation, Second Chance, Black Belly tags,

Given a choice, I will prefer female protagonists but that's only because I'm spoiled for choice. \o/

I avoid, like the plague, Harem cause that is just an overused mule in CN novels and usually done badly.

However, I looooooooooove imperial harem novels because the infighting is vicious. >.> Dem ladies are badass. <.<
Meh, I almost always hate the romances in imperial harems. As a general rule, most of them have terrible relationships and I honestly can't believe them and the ML fell in love.

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
Meh, I almost always hate the romances in imperial harems. As a general rule, most of them have terrible relationships and I honestly can't believe them and the ML fell in love.

My mom married my dad only after six weeks of meeting him. O.O

I remember giving her a look the first time I heard that and she said: "Love comes later, once you truly know eachother."

I am only just beginning to understand what she meant all those years back and I think it's relevant to those types of novels. It's a love forged through adversity and eventual triumph, together towards a goal.

I think it's different from our modern notions of love, but it's a sentiment that most married couples that make it through thick and thin learn....like my parents perhaps. It's not puppy love, it's ganbatte love. :)

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps

I remember giving her a look the first time I heard that and she said: "Love comes later, once you truly know eachother."

I am only just beginning to understand what she meant all those years back and I think it's relevant to those types of novels. It's a love forged through adversity and eventual triumph, together towards a goal.

I think it's different from our modern notions of love, but it's a sentiment that most married couples that make it through thick and thin learn....like my parents perhaps. It's not puppy love, it's ganbatte love. :)
I do agree that love takes time and people putting in a lot of effort working toward it. I don't believe in love at first sight or true love.

However, these relationships are generally antagonistic and extremely unhealthy. Minimal communication, forced misunderstandings, and generally some form of psychological or physical abuse. I can understand being in a relationship to work toward something. But the way the stories somehow result in weird lovey-dovey relationship that I hate and make no sense based off past events make no sense to me.

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
I do agree that love takes time and people putting in a lot of effort working toward it. I don't believe in love at first sight or true love.

However, these relationships are generally antagonistic and extremely unhealthy. Minimal communication, forced misunderstandings, and generally some form of psychological or physical abuse. I can understand being in a relationship to work toward something. But the way the stories somehow result in weird lovey-dovey relationship that I hate and make no sense based off past events make no sense to me.

I dig what you are saying. I'm not totally sold on it cause I've seen some weird relationships flourish, but I totally see your point of view.

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
Sometimes I wonder if some relationships start as a sort of Stockholm Syndrome. o.O

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
I dig what you are saying. I'm not totally sold on it cause I've seen some weird relationships flourish, but I totally see your point of view.
There are some novels in the category that I really enjoy. To Be a Virtuous Wife is one of my favorite webnovels of all time and Empress with no Virtue was fun too. But most of the time I found myself very disappointed and I just grew tired of how poorly done they were.

Last edited:

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Sometimes I wonder if some relationships start as a sort of Stockholm Syndrome. o.O
That sure is a statement. I'm sure most are from insecurity problems, familial issues, rebounds and typically low-esteems.

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
There are some novels in the category that I really enjoy. To Be a Virtuous Wife is one of my favorite webnovels of all time and Empress with no Virtue was fun too. But most of the time I found myself very disappointed and I just grew tired of how poorly down they were.

If you like those, you might like Poison Genius Consort....and definitely Malicious Empress.... I like novels where women are strong in face of adversity.

FemmeFatale

O.O Skullie Did It O.O
That sure is a statement. I'm sure most are from insecurity problems, familial issues, rebounds and typically low-esteems.

Definitely those as well..... love, perhaps, is not about finding the perfect person, but as perfect a fit to who you are as possible....and we are all damaged in one way or another....I guess it's easier to draw closer in the face of our weaknesses as opposed to our strengths when looking for love.... :eek:

Last edited:

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Definitely those as well..... love, perhaps, is not about finding the perfect person, but as perfect a fit to who you are as possible....and we are all damaged in one way or another....I guess it's easier to draw closer in the face of our weaknesses as opposed to our strengths when looking for love.... :eek:
Love is finding the person that complete you more way than you would imagine. It's impossible to find that perfect one person. What true love is finding someone that you love so much that you can love their flaws and find beauty in their imperfections even when. It's hard.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪

I’ve heard of this too.

I feel like many who went through arranged marriages of some kind can relate to this.