What got you into reading novels?

BlackKnightX

When I was a kid, I wasn’t that much of a novel reader. I read of course—a lot, actually—but mostly comic books and mangas.

I didn’t like the look of novel at all. When I saw the blocks of text on each page, I was terrified. It somehow reminded me of the school textbooks—yes, those crazy little things that when you piled them up together, worked well as a pillow. It could also cure insomnia, which was a great tool to avoid getting late to school.

Anyway. I only started reading novels a few years back. It was out of the necessity, you see. English isn’t my first language, but I wanted to learn it anyway. So I just started watching movies without subtitles, and after that came animes—I was already a big fan of anime since I was young, but those were dubbed and subbed in my language.

I remember it started when I watched “That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime”. I was hooked and enthralled. The story, the atmosphere, the protagonist, the animation—everything fits my taste perfectly.

So after I finished the last episode, the familiar feeling of emptiness followed right after. I wanted more of this, I told myself.

Then, out of pure whim, I went searching on Google if there’s any manga version of the story or not. And sure enough, there was. But more than that, there was also this thing called “light novel”.

I’ve heard the term before but wasn’t quite sure what it was. I just concluded it to be the usual kind of novel full of blocks and blocks of text I hated so much when I a kid. I didn’t even want to think about it.

But—at the same time, I was also curious. So, I decided to try it out a little bit…

So I searched it on Google and found the story posted on a site I didn’t quite remember. Then I started reading, and oh boy was I hooked once again! My opinion of novel or light novel or whatever that blocks of text was improved a whole lot.

When I read the story, unlike the boring textbook, I actually saw an anime in my head. It wasn’t different from watching the actual anime at all. No, actually, it was even better!

After that, I got hooked into reading novels, light novels, and web novels alike, and became an addict ever since.

So, that’s my story. What about you guys? What got you into reading novels?

SailusGebel

I will keep it short. If you are talking about light\web novels, I started reading them because I caught up with all the manga and manhwa I was reading. I was bored and wanted to learn what happens next in one manhua I was reading, so I found a novel version. Since then, I started reading web\light novels.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
since I couldn't afford to buy games, so I just reading those free online webnovels for my entertainment source.

bananapink

The Sickly Banana
I will keep it short. If you are talking about light\web novels, I started reading them because I caught up with all the manga and manhwa I was reading. I was bored and wanted to learn what happens next in one manhua I was reading, so I found a novel version. Since then, I started reading web\light novels.
Same and Overlord was my first WN.

Scaver

When I was a kid, I wasn’t that much of a novel reader. I read of course—a lot, actually—but mostly comic books and mangas.

I didn’t like the look of novel at all. When I saw the blocks of text on each page, I was terrified. It somehow reminded me of the school textbooks—yes, those crazy little things that when you piled them up together, worked well as a pillow. It could also cure insomnia, which was a great tool to avoid getting late to school.

Anyway. I only started reading novels a few years back. It was out of the necessity, you see. English isn’t my first language, but I wanted to learn it anyway. So I just started watching movies without subtitles, and after that came animes—I was already a big fan of anime since I was young, but those were dubbed and subbed in my language.

I remember it started when I watched “That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime”. I was hooked and enthralled. The story, the atmosphere, the protagonist, the animation—everything fits my taste perfectly.

So after I finished the last episode, the familiar feeling of emptiness followed right after. I wanted more of this, I told myself.

Then, out of pure whim, I went searching on Google if there’s any manga version of the story or not. And sure enough, there was. But more than that, there was also this thing called “light novel”.

I’ve heard the term before but wasn’t quite sure what it was. I just concluded it to be the usual kind of novel full of blocks and blocks of text I hated so much when I a kid. I didn’t even want to think about it.

But—at the same time, I was also curious. So, I decided to try it out a little bit…

So I searched it on Google and found the story posted on a site I didn’t quite remember. Then I started reading, and oh boy was I hooked once again! My opinion of novel or light novel or whatever that blocks of text was improved a whole lot.

When I read the story, unlike the boring textbook, I actually saw an anime in my head. It wasn’t different from watching the actual anime at all. No, actually, it was even better!

After that, I got hooked into reading novels, light novels, and web novels alike, and became an addict ever since.

So, that’s my story. What about you guys? What got you into reading novels
A year ago i think? I think i read it because of cote. I used to read books before but not much.
But now it's my cannabis:)

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
If you are talking about reading in general, then whoever has taught me to read.
If you are talking about liking reading (love is a strong word I simply don't ever feel because I am so edgy n cool), then myself. The school educational program and the whole atmosphere of that wretched insidious place had tried to kill that affection, but it didn't quite work.
If you are talking about Japanese-styled light/web novels, then I don't remember. I approximate it to either "Hataraku Maou-sama!" or to "The Taming of The Yandere" (which is, ironically, a Chinese novel, but it is very Japanese-style. Also, it's deliciously misanthropic and brutal at times. Very underrated, very recommended).
If you are talking about the entire Eastern-Asian novel scene, then it would be Japanese light novels.
If you are talking about the entire Eastern-Asian-styled weeby scene we have here, then it's the Eastern-Asian novel scene.

Arkus86

Where it comes to light\web novels, I'm on the team that caught up with all the manga atc. and wanted more.
If you mean novels in general, I can't tell you, for I was reading for as long as I can remember clearly.

MasterHiatus

I am back
At first, I really thought novels are boring but what got me through that was because a friend of mine recommended me a novel called My House of Horrors. Nothing too dramatic tbh.

iWannaEatChicken

For me it was when my 4th grade teacher read the Percy Jackson series to us in class. This wasn't the first time a teacher had read aloud to us in class (my 3rd grade teacher did Charlotte's Web and it was pretty interesting) but it was the first time I went out of the way to read the book on my own.

My teacher only read one chapter per week or something and that was way too slow for me, I had to find out what happened next.

As for webnovels, I had skimmed over a few online but I never really dived into the community until after I read Remarried Empress - the webtoon. That webtoon is so good. The way it leaves you hanging off the page is just brutal, so when I heard that it was originally a novel I jumped at the opportunity to finish the story.

Long story short, I'm now knee-deep in Asian novels, although mainly CNs for now.

InceTagn

A stranger passing by.
When it comes to light\web novels, I'm on the team that caught up with all the manga, etc., and wanted more.
If you mean novels in general, I can't tell you, for I was reading for as long as I can remember clearly.
I am also from that team.
It started after I saw the anime Tokyo Ghoul, season one, and season two. My hunger was not assisted saw, I made some research and found that there was a season 3 of the manga.
I started to read.
It was only the first step in my fall to hell.
Tokyo Ghoul was releasing chapters too slowly, so in the meantime I found another manga to read. I alone level up' battle trough the heaven.
But all these series were in French my second language.
Next, I forced myself to read the untranslated chapter.
I started to read the light novel and caught up with the release.
The rest is easy to guess, I started to read light novels.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I just picked up a book one day when I was around 6 years old and started reading by myself. Later I asked my parents if I could go to the bookstore and get more books because I had read all the books in my closet. They brought me to a used bookstore where I picked out 10 or so $0.50 books. half of which were old novels. Couldn't stop after that.

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
I was watching anime, see a meme about manga being higher than anime and novelist the higjest than them all.

Tried to search of the manga, Loved it. Want to know more then seek the novel. I complete it, want more

Search at NovelUpdates focusing on genre of OP Protag and Virtual Reality before going on the School Life and SoL genre making my pool of reading more.

Decided to seek some site, see the mangadex, mangakakalot, NUpdates, ScribbleHub and lastly Webnovel in chronological order.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
It is weird for me and started it all was Baka Tsuki.

In the past I was always manga or anime, more on former due to money problem but once internet is available... yeah still mainly on manga with Onemanga.

Then Baka Tsuki came along one day and I thought "hmm, I got nothing much to do so let's read some novels then." I had read books like Tuesday with Morrie and the entire Horrible series and some other stuff like Harry Potter and Alex Rider so a wall of text with just my imagination isn't an issue.

Nowadays it becomes an issue because I don't like to watch anime for unspecified reasons even though I can take in the manga and novel.

Daitengu

Reading in general started with Robotech for me. I wanted to see what was after the anime back in highschool. Then went to D&D novels.

As for webnovel it all started with Sword Art Online. I wanted to know what came after and if it was different than the anime. Cause it started fine if you ignore the impossibility of actually microwaving a brain, but the season two really pissed me off. There was only a translation of the webnovel at the time. Finished that mess and found Mushoku Tensei and Shield Hero and just kept looking for decent web novels ever since.

D

Deleted member 54065

What got me into reading novels? I'm bored.

In fact, I'd read everything whenever I'm bored, including the Safety on Life at Sea (SOLAS) book from my seafaring father, or newpapers from way back a decade ago.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

Everything else sucked

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
Playboy really do have nice articles...

Recently, as in past 2 years...it was boobs.

IDK what else to tell you guys.

What got me back was a vet friend of mine not shutting up about a novel online he was reading. It is called Everybody Loves Large Chests. Just like most people the first chapter and its reverse the protagonist switch at the end hooked me. Since then, I have realized how bored I am most of the time. I finally finished the 8 Tom Clancy books my parents gave me way back when that I didn't even acknowledge existed.

What kept me reading after I finished was finding about creative non-fiction, historical novels (i.e., Taking first-hand accounts and making a pseudorealism story) and a burning hatred towards everyone who helped write the last jedi.

I even warmed up to anime and manga once I made the realization that as media, it renews and debuts entertainment in a fast and consistent manner compared to the west. It's also much more convenient.

it was a waifu collecting discord bot, and one time I got boxxy from everybody loves large chests, read it, and that was that

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Had no more anime, so I read manga, had no more manga so I read light novels, all the novels became shit, then move to self proclaimed author’s of the world, and you guys rarely make the good shit, then when I had no more of that I made my own shit that’s surprisingly was liked, who knew people loves sexy bricks