What if Transmigration Was Like a Debuff?

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Fiction doesn't excuse idiocy and fiction doesn't mean a license to turn off logic. :blob_reach:
Uh yes it does. Fiction has no limitations. Fiction means "not real". So technically, ANYTHING goes. Try not to rewrite something to fit your own opinion.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
So from the initial posts, people were complaining about a lack of realism? It's called fiction....so complaining about a lack of realism in anything not non-fiction is just.....why? Dunno. I'm biased I guess but this whole thread just makes me weary of authors and readers alike.

No one is ever satisfied I guess.
Technically, everything is fiction. You can write garbage and called it fiction, and nothing would change. It's still garbage writing and no one is going to love reading it, at least not anyone normal.

We are discussing how to write good/decent fictions, which should have some sense of consistency to ensure that immersion is not interrupted.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Uh yes it does. Fiction has no limitations. Fiction means "not real". So technically, ANYTHING goes. Try not to rewrite something to fit your own opinion.

You are wrong, my friend. :blob_evil_two: Fiction derives from the Latin "fingere" which always carried the meaning of "forming", "modelling", "creating". Fiction is primarily thus what is created by the author and not what is "not real". If your fiction suffers then from a lack of coherence and you excuse bullshitting with "fiction", then I will call you out for lazy world building and uncreative surrealism.

Discount_Blade

You are wrong, my friend. :blob_evil_two: Fiction derives from the Latin "fingere" which always carried the meaning of "forming", "modelling", "creating". Fiction is primarily thus what is created by the author and not what is "not real". If your fiction suffers then from a lack of coherence and you excuse bullshitting with "fiction", then I will call you out for lazy world building and uncreative surrealism.
I'm right my friend merriam Webster justifies me. No one cares what its Latin roots are. Most cuss words are french but no one is calling out their french origins. Most English originated from greek roots with a little mixture of German from saxon origins no one is calling it greek and German. I'm halfIrish, half Cherokee but I couldn't just walk into Ireland and demand to be acknowledged as a citizen just because my dad's dad was one. I can't demand cerification at a reservation in America just because my mother was registered. Fiction is not real, whether its poorly written or not, it means not real. Stop trying to change that.

Last edited:

Discount_Blade

Technically, everything is fiction. You can write garbage and called it fiction, and nothing would change. It's still garbage writing and no one is going to love reading it, at least not anyone normal.

We are discussing how to write good/decent fictions, which should have some sense of consistency to ensure that immersion is not interrupted.
And, no technically, everything is not fiction. Unless of course you're saying me and you aren't real. Then yeah sure everything is fiction. I'm guessing education isn't real. That television or phone you use isn't real. Computers are mystical artifacts from a forgotten realm. Pretty sure the world wars didn't really happen. Good series though. A must read.

Last edited:

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
And, no technically, everything is not fiction. Unless of course you're saying me and you aren't real. Then yeah sure everything is fiction. I'm guessing education isn't real. That television or phone you use isn't real. Computers are mystical artifacts from a forgotten realm. Pretty sure the world wars didn't really happen. Good series though. A must read.
Moving goalpost? I see.

Assurbanipal_II

I'm right my friend merriam Webster justifies me. No one cares what its Latin roots are. Most cuss words are french but no one is calling out their french origins. Most English originated from greek roots with a little mixture of German from saxon origins no one is calling it greek and German. I'm halfIrish, half Cherokee but I couldn't just walk into Ireland and demand to be acknowledged as a citizen just because my dad's dad was one. I can't demand cerification at a reservation in America just because my mother was registered. Fiction is not real, whether its poorly written or not, it means not real. Stop trying to change that.

That is just the ignorance of people without a classical or literary education. :blob_evil_two: Only because the majority doesn't know anything about the concepts of connotation and technical terminology, it doesn't mean that both doesn't exist. For example, the simple word "action" can mean something completely different depending on whether you are talking with a normal person or a lawyer. The same is true for incompetence, ignorance, etc. etc.

So, if you are talking about fiction in literary terms, then fiction has little to do with being "fictious".

"Most English originated from greek roots" An interesting claim, do you even know Greek? Or rather, can you even distinguish between Greek and Latin?

Discount_Blade

That is just the ignorance of people without a classical or literary education. :blob_evil_two: Only because the majority doesn't know anything about the concepts of connotation and technical terminology, it doesn't mean that both doesn't exist. For example, the simple word "action" can mean something completely different depending on whether you are talking with a normal person or a lawyer. The same is true for incompetence, ignorance, etc. etc.

So, if you are talking about fiction in literary terms, then fiction has little to do with being "fictious".

"Most English originated from greek roots" An interesting claim, do you even know Greek? Or rather, can you even distinguish between Greek and Latin?

You can talk about roots and origins, you can try and sound intelligent al you want, but what its Latin roots are have no bearing on what it means today. Gay meant happy/joyous for centuries until in the last few decades. Pretty sure you aren't going to call someone out for using it to mean a homosexual when it used to mean happy/joyous. So saying what it meant in Latin has no relative importance to what it means today in terms of fiction. Do I know Latin or Greek? That means what in a conversation about fiction exactly? Do you know Ancient akkadian mister assurburnipal? Aramaic? Sumerian? You know, the languages the assyrians spoke? Named after an assyrian emperor. Has nothing to do with fiction does it?

Assurbanipal_II

You can talk about roots and origins, you can try and sound intelligent al you want, but what its Latin roots are have no bearing on what it means today. Gay meant happy/joyous for centuries until in the last few decades. Pretty sure you aren't going to call someone out for using it to mean a homosexual when it used to mean happy/joyous. So saying what it meant in Latin has no relative importance to what it means today in terms of fiction. Do I know Latin or Greek? That means what in a conversation about fiction exactly? Do you know Ancient akkadian mister assurburnipal? Aramaic? Sumerian? You know, the languages the assyrians spoke? Named after an assyrian emperor. Has nothing to do with fiction does it?

You make sound yourself like a fool, don't you realise that? :blob_popcorn: How can you discuss literature without even knowing the necessary scientific definitions? How can you discuss Wagner without knowing what a leitmotiv is? How can you discuss a Verdi without knowing what a libretto is? How can you discuss Brecht without knowing about epic theater? How can you discuss a Shakespeare without knowing the Aristotelian unities? How can you discuss poetry without knowing what an elegiac couplet or a caesura is?

Last edited:

Discount_Blade

You make sound yourself like a fool, don't you realise that? :blob_popcorn: How can you discuss literature without even knowing the necessary scientific definitions? How can you discuss Wagner without knowing what a leitmotiv is? How can you discuss a Verdi without knowing what a libretto is? How can you discuss Brecht without knowing about epic theater? How can you discuss a Shakespeare without knowing the Aristotelian unities? How can you discuss poetry without knowing what an elegiac couplet or a caesure is?
You make yourself sound like an arrogant prick. How can you talk about fiction without knowing any of that? Really? Pretty sure it happens on this forum and every other writing site in existence. Pretty sure most have no idea what a good portion of that is unless they look it up and it still has no direct relation to here and now. Pretty sure you don't mention Shakespeare and your supposed knowledge of it before you begin every forum discussion you join do you? Sit down Einstein. Not impressing anyone but your own ego. And on that note enjoy your remaining discussion bud. Make sure you bedazzle everyone else with your massive reserves of knowledge in my absence oh great wise one. I thank you for coming down from the literary heavens to speak with a poor foolish scholar such as myself.

Last edited:

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
You said everything. Their are no goalposts in everything. Side stepping I see.
We are not discussing about the definition of words, but the reason why we considered consistency ( hence realism ) is needed for fiction to be decent ( objectively ). Instead of addressing my claim on the topic, you picked up the least relevant words in my quote and made an entire post about it without addressing even a single point of mine. If that's not moving the goalpost then I don't know what it is.

Let me do this, I'll entertain you with your 'definition' of fiction being non-reality. How can you prove that your world is real? What about mine? Is existence real? Or just simulation? Is it possible that God existed? Maybe World War is just your unconscious dream? In fact, what is real? What is fake?

We will go nowhere with that.

Discount_Blade

We are not discussing about the definition of words, but the reason why we considered consistency ( hence realism ) is needed for fiction to be decent ( objectively ). Instead of addressing my claim on the topic, you picked up the least relevant words in my quote and made an entire post about it without addressing even a single point of mine. If that's not moving the goalpost then I don't know what it is.

Let me do this, I'll entertain you with your 'definition' of fiction being non-reality. How can you prove that your world is real? What about mine? Is existence real? Or just simulation? Is it possible that God existed? Maybe World War is just your unconscious dream? In fact, what is real? What is fake?

We will go nowhere with that.
Personally, what you were saying had only an indirect relevance to what I was discussing with Assurbanipal, but that's a moot point now since its moved beyond that. Fiction STILL does NOTmean reality. But By your example, I did move the goalposts and i apologize for not seeing that. My mistake.

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

Personally, what you were saying had only an indirect relevance to what I was discussing with Assurbanipal, but that's a moot point now since its moved beyond that. Fiction STILL does NOTmean reality. But By your example, I did move the goalposts and i apologize for not seeing that. My mistake.

Oh, yes, we were arguing about the definition of fiction. You say it is the narrow definition of non-reality writing, while I ... Well, I didn't say anything yet about its definition, so it doesn't matter. Anyway, the point is that fiction not being reality is not an excuse bad writing. :blob_cookie:

BlueDream

Whoa, reading this is like stepping into a minefield :oops: Anyway this is just me giving my uneducated opinion on this matter.

Like to me, the root of the word is important, and yeah it means creation, but meanings of words change according to context and when it is used. It used to mean text that is modeled or created, but now generally the nuance in the word means that it is created through imagination and is ‘fake’ in that sense. Language evolves over time so it is important to take note in changes in nuance and usage even though it is great to learn the history of the word.

Technically, fiction is writing events that are not real. A history book isn’t fiction, and my novel is fiction because my characters don’t exist in real life. But I think the best type of fictional novels are the ones that can spin both real life elements and trends into a hypothetical universe for it to be meaningful to the readers. For example, a story of a fictional alien being being bullied by humans on earth to highlight racism in society, or a futuristic dystopia as a satire and a warning to what the world could become if people do not change it. The novels that kind of interest me the most are crazy and creative with underlying messages.

Fiction is about fake events and people from imagination, but it also a reflection of ideologies, thoughts and events of people in real life society. It allows the writer to explore ideas in the lens of a protagonist and pass their values down to readers. But I’m a bad writer and suck at literature so

BlueDream

Oh god I just disagreed with both sides XD
Expecting my profile to be flooded with hate mail

Assurbanipal_II

Oh god I just disagreed with both sides XD
Expecting my profile to be flooded with hate mail

You know, it is telling that the English Wikipedia page of fiction is only 1 page long ... The term fiction doesn't seem to have much development in the English language.

Anyway, what is the difference between fantasy and fiction? And why are you putting fiction and fake together when they are inherently different? I am confused. :blob_evil_two:

1573411128410.png

Last edited:

Llamadragon

Hi everybody talking about fiction.

Now then, if transmigration was like a debuff ...
What if the debuff was a curse that made the bearer of it doomed to talk about the definition of fiction? Or just the definition of words?

Adventurer: "No, it's not a marshmallow."
Goblin: "Dude, it's white, fluffy and when you roast it on sticks over fire it becomes soft melted gooey goodness. What more do you want from a marshmallow?"
Adventurer: "But it does not truly contain marshmallow, does it? This creation was cooked with historically inaccurate ingredients! Marshmallow is a FLOWER, mr. Goblin, a flower! A flower from the mallow family that grows in marshlands! You make marshmallow from the roots of marshmallows, and this cheap knockof here is just sugar, corn starch and freaking gelatin! Thus, it is NOT A MARSHMALLOW!"
Goblin: "Man you must suck at parties"
Random harem member: "But would you JUST KILL THE GOBLIN ALREADY PLZ you're stopping at EVERY MONSTER and we've been here for HOURS"
Adventurer: "Nay, for I must slay mine foes in the arts of nagging combat!"
Goblin: "What, you're going to keep this up until I die!? Eff this" *leaves*

*Ding* The adventurer has gained a level in Besserweisser. New class evolutions available!

Random harem member: *Groan*

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
Hi everybody talking about fiction.

Now then, if transmigration was like a debuff ...
How dare you change the topic! It says right there in the thread title that...
oh wait.
Why were we talking about what makes up fiction in the first place?