What if Transmigration Was Like a Debuff?

Wretch

Undead men tell tales
So my MC Garnet was a man who transmigrated into the body of an otome game villainess, but this causes incredible problems for them. They are utterly unable to adapt properly to their situation and desperately struggle with their everyday life to just keep it together. Garnet's new life requires a certain skillset that she does not have, thus she is incompetent and doesn't know how to live properly. They are not able to keep their identity fully concealed and many people become suspicious of her. This desperation and despair is what I want to use to cultivate a villain.

Also, I have another character in my story that reincarnated into absolute poverty. They have nothing, and live a dismal life as the third child of some serf family. They have no magic power. People with magic power are uncommon in the world and it is something that sets the ruling class and peasants apart. Discrimination, class distinction, religious problems, and some social biological superiority problems.

I would say it is utterly shocking to them. Being a person who previously lived a plentiful modern life in a good country and now they are living under a system where they can barely clothe and feed themselves as a poor child. They have no special abilities; they have no magic; they are trash. Even worse, this was the world of their most beloved otome game. They are now forced to realize that their new life is meaningless. They are just a dirty child that has nothing to do with the world that they loved the most.

I plan to have them become the antagonist or tragic hero of my story. Frankly, the one and only thing they have going for them is their knowledge of the future, which they will abuse in every way possible. They will give up nearly all their sense of morality and do anything to escape their troubles and fix the world in part because they are terrified of their helplessness and meaningless life, and can't stand to see such a distortion of their beloved world. So they do the only thing they can do. They lie and lie and lie. They trick and manipulate others. And more.

I would say that they have a really hard time coping with the reality of the world they now live in. Like permanent culture shock and homesickness. It's like how losing a loved one can leave a lingering sadness for the rest of a person's life.

So you see ... I wanted to write a story where the transmigration/reincarnation has nothing to do with wish fulfillment like ALL THE OTHER stories. These seem to be the characters with the biggest problems in my story. No happiness to be found here MFs.

I'm pretty sure that both of these two characters Garnet and the Reincarnator are villains. I really like them as characters and it's hard to develop them properly. How does the reincarnator manage to thrive in a world where they are helpless peasant scum? How does Garnet manage to live on despite being unable to fake her identity?
Wow that is pretty intense. It also reminds of an idea for a story I once had where the mc dies and transmigrates into somebody's body only to get kidnapped immediately after and gets sold as a slave. I may or may not be in the process of writing this. But yes the part where its not about wish fulfillment is my biggest beef.

Silver_Sky

Yes, there are certain allowances you have to make if you don't have enough knowledge, and I'll admit the first few times I read some really cliche transmigration novels I thought it was an amazing idea. Becuase it was new to me, but after the millions of books with the exact same settings, it gets old. Of course putting anew spin on it can be fun.

Also what if everyone else had a game interface but the transmigrator?
there are actually a few with that idea

Silver_Sky

I read a story that had the main character get beaten on the street next to death in which a reincarnated soul tries to move through the world's borders to take over (like other stories) but on selection and various otaku like comments he finds out that you can't move through world borders as a soul which then gets him destroyed and the target of reincarnation assimilates the now shattered and destroyed soul and his memory now he has the ability to upgrade items

on the topic of debuff if you make a story you could have the mc have an injured soul that makes it harder to learn things or use regular abilities or you could even make them extremely weak to soul attacks there is a story on webnovel (bad platform) but it's by an extremely good author the main character gets betrayed and reincarnates as a magic monster with destroyed magic links( where the ability to use magic comes from) so it's not like the reincarnation and debuff like circumstances are not out there just ......RARE

P.S. has anyone thought about how bad it would be to reincarnate into a fantasy world no modern ease of life items lower life expectancy wear and tear on the body lack of common sense lack of the ability to cope

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
True, but then they should at least try to make it a bit more realistic. The memory of previous owners actually is the least "plot-amour" ish type of trope I've seen. There are other ways besides having some kind of weird game-like interface to get around such a problem.

This is another spoiler I have planned for my story.
One of my MCs Garnet, is going to start regaining the memories of the old Garnet whose body she is now in. This is going to cause the man, now a girl, a serious identity crisis as they struggle to accept the thoughts and feelings of the girl who is now dead forever. Or at least that is what I was hoping for. I really want them to become mentally unwell.

Wretch

Undead men tell tales
This is another spoiler I have planned for my story.
One of my MCs Garnet, is going to start regaining the memories of the old Garnet whose body she is now in. This is going to cause the man, now a girl, a serious identity crisis as they struggle to accept the thoughts and feelings of the girl who is now dead forever. Or at least that is what I was hoping for. I really want them to become mentally unwell.
f2943ecab290deb5cbea593881c3445a.jpg
Why do you want them to be mentally unstable?

Yorda

Why do you want them to be mentally unstable?

For plot and I think they would be unwell eventually due to the stress of their situation.

It's exciting! People don't realize that the transmigrater is actually the villain!

95% of the time when the transmigrater transmigrates into the body of the villain character they are not actually going to be a villain. They are just some simple, misunderstood, good person placed into an unfortunate situation. They function as the story's protagonist. But with Garnet I was thinking that I wanted to draw out all of her inner darkness and amplify it so that she could serve an antagonistic role.

Last edited:

Yorda

So that's why I write so well ...
This is ... interesting. So, from which world did you reincarnate?

I do not understand your implication from this comment. Are you criticizing my writing or are you saying that my story is weird enough to be written by somebody from a different world?

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I do not understand your implication from this comment. Are you criticizing my writing or are you saying that my story is weird enough to be written by somebody from a different world?
:blob_reach: Now I am confused. Didn't you imply that yourself? " So that's why I write so well ... "

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Pst Pst

thats the fucking joke

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
I played with the idea that, with the decaying property of time, the soul would become wearied and tired. The more their soul became wearied the closer they are to their true death, as in the death of the soul, disintegrating into nothingness. Not only that, but their memory would slowly turn blurry and chaotic as they lived for too long.

It's either they went insane with no goal or identity or commit suicide due to weariness of the soul.

ConTroll

Eternal Wood
Haha, I haven't read all the responses yet, but based on the original post, this is very similar to how my own story on scribblehub will play out -- more focused of survival, horror, and psychosis.

However, I will admit that there are still elements of traditional isekai/transmigration/portal to another world. In the case of my MC, most are conditional and come at a cost.

Llamadragon

I'll one-up the debuff.

One of my mc's got transmigrated as a cat by accident. She's got all these op cheat skills she can't touch bc no opposable thumbs, just sitting there and taunting her while she McGyver her way through labyrinthian dungeon bosses with her human intellect and like three kilos to her name.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
The more their soul became wearied the closer they are to their true death, as in the death of the soul, disintegrating into nothingness. Not only that, but their memory would slowly turn blurry and chaotic as they lived for too long.

It's either they went insane with no goal or identity or commit suicide due to weariness of the soul.
dude imagine a guy who's immortal and that nothing can kill him just feeling sad cause he can't die

that's just luckier than the infinite transmigration guy. at least that guy gets a new body everytime he slits his wrist

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
So from the initial posts, people were complaining about a lack of realism? It's called fiction....so complaining about a lack of realism in anything not non-fiction is just.....why? Dunno. I'm biased I guess but this whole thread just makes me weary of authors and readers alike.

No one is ever satisfied I guess.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
So from the initial posts, people were complaining about a lack of realism? It's called fiction....so complaining about a lack of realism in anything not non-fiction is just.....why? Dunno. I'm biased I guess but this whole thread just makes me weary of authors and readers alike.

No one is ever satisfied I guess.

Fiction doesn't excuse idiocy and fiction doesn't mean a license to turn off logic. :blob_reach: