What is "evil" to you?

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
They are everywhere, from random guy on the street, the buggers you had to deal with for the plot to progress, some random influential blokes to the other races/ countries/ gangs for you to get xenophobic about.

The MC's origin can be anything as well, from common guy, a-person-whose-village-got-thanosed, all edge no point, supposed villain who is not a villain to supposed villain WHO IS AN ACTUAL VILLAIN, just that the driver inside has changed. For the latter two points, the villain roles will then get shifted to whoever has to play their arch nemesis and that shit sucks.

So why are they villainous? Desire comes into mind.

There is a SH novel with a good synopsis and prologue that said something about desires and whether or not we would perform wrongdoings for what we love. I enjoyed the philosophical BS until the yandere and pantsless-tied-to-a-chair guy scene, so if anyone knows what work I am talking about, please leave the name down. Thanks.

So desires are what drove people to villainy and somehow the same desire does not tarnish the MC and gang by the virtue of "the other side evil first". Even when the world is black and black and the MC is a bonafide babyeater, somehow the author will scale the evilness of the other side to be even worse, like baby raper then eat them.

What is the personal limit of someone being evil (to you)? Is it when they did a no-no that is in your book? Is it when they decided to plot against or use you?

What do you think? Because I am not thinking anything and just go doomslayer with ny MC and turning him into the next Balor of Supreme Magus seems like a better option to tie him down with morals and obligations.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
An 'evil' character for me is one who fully(or at least mostly) believe they are in the right and is willing to do nearly ANYTHING to achieve it. (Think Light Yagami)

I can read about them doing whatever convoluted shit as long as they're working towards something and the author doesn't have the plot bend over to sugarcoat it and make them look good. Though that mostly happens with protagonists.

As for the third question, my MCs are all morally grey at worst. Except for the one in my drafts that's a healer, that one is a narcissistic god-complex piece of shit.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
I don't think you should chase a certain thing indefinitely just because it makes you 'feel good', just because something makes you feel good doesn't mean it is actually good for you or for those you surround yourself with if you are willing to drop everything including the people that love you for something that makes you 'feel good' that makes you evil. Also, cold-blooded murder is atrocious, just because someone got in your way or because you feel like it doesn't excuse the crime you committed. People are also evil if they gaslight the ones they love and if they commit rape.

MyukiMruieast

Departure of Motivation led me to want water
To me, ‘evil’ is following one's desire and want. ‘Evil’ only fulfills what they consider to be a help to them but not to others. They do not have any care to the people around them, they only wish for selfish purposes only. An example would be a starving girl who wishes to eat her food but others prey and want a share of her food, she thinks for herself and refuses bluntly, the people she then refused would consider her to be selfish and bad.

They only consider good to be whom complies to what others would say and need, while evil puts themselves first. ”Why would I help someone when I am starving myself?” “Why am I obligated to help?!” “Are you expecting me to give you my last piece of bread and pray to god to have one in thanks for kindness?! No way!” “What can good do? Can I eat that?” “If I don't steal, how am I supposed to eat!?” “It's none of my business, why should I be nosy? I'm not that type of person.”

Personally, Evil is being rebellious and narcissistic.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Evil is the abuse of power.

To elaborate, power comes in several forms. Trust is a form of power. Wealth is a form of power. Physical strength is a form of power.

Daitengu

Evil, to me, is purposely harming others for your own desires. Yes that means CEOs paying people so little that four people have to share a single room apartment and charging them lunch at the company cafeteria while paying yourself $200 mill bonus because of record breaking profit. *Cough* Kotick *cough*

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Evil is cruelty.

If you accidentally hurt other people, or if you do bad things to help others, that's NOT evil. It can be portrayed as evil, and to some people it will make you a villain(or at least an asshole)... But Evil requires intent. You either have to WANT to hurt people or you have to let people suffer even when you could easily stop it.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
They are everywhere, from random guy on the street, the buggers you had to deal with for the plot to progress, some random influential blokes to the other races/ countries/ gangs for you to get xenophobic about.

The MC's origin can be anything as well, from common guy, a-person-whose-village-got-thanosed, all edge no point, supposed villain who is not a villain to supposed villain WHO IS AN ACTUAL VILLAIN, just that the driver inside has changed. For the latter two points, the villain roles will then get shifted to whoever has to play their arch nemesis and that shit sucks.

There is a SH novel with a good synopsis and prologue that said something about desires and whether or not we would perform wrongdoings for what we love. I enjoyed the philosophical BS until the yandere and pantsless-tied-to-a-chair guy scene, so if anyone knows what work I am talking about, please leave the name down. Thanks.

So desires are what drove people to villainy and somehow the same desire does not tarnish the MC and gang by the virtue of "the other side evil first". Even when the world is black and black and the MC is a bonafide babyeater, somehow the author will scale the evilness of the other side to be even worse, like baby raper then eat them.

What is the personal limit of someone being evil (to you)? Is it when they did a no-no that is in your book? Is it when they decided to plot against or use you?

What do you think? Because I am not thinking anything and just go doomslayer with ny MC and turning him into the next Balor of Supreme Magus seems like a better option to tie him down with morals and obligations.
cruelty for cruelty's sake. Deriving pleasure from it.

wanton chaos? could simply be your nature, no malice, simply a part of the natural order,

but evil? thats a choice. To enjoy the inflicting pain upon others,,,,thats evil

Other evils can stem from things like a belief in your righteousness. Its acceptable, and understandable. But not when is to satisfy your own self.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Not flushing the toilet after pooping is evil.
Agreed.

Made worse when I am the one to wash the toilet bowl and the poop somehow lodged itself into the underside of the bowl where the water flows out.

Once you run your brush over the spot and the flake of shit just falls out, Jesus saint Maria.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Agreed.

Made worse when I am the one to wash the toilet bowl and the poop somehow lodged itself into the underside of the bowl where the water flows out.

Once you run your brush over the spot and the flake of shit just falls out, Jesus saint Maria.
work in the service industry and you shall know the true evils a man

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Mate, shit smeared walls. And used tampons on sinks. That's what I remember of the service industry.
I had cleaned shit smeared ceiling and I asked myself, "WTF" as the droplets slowly drip like rain.

Forgot to mention, I was using a dripping mop to get the thing down.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Evil is the fucker who doesn't flick open his turn signal when cutting into your lane and when the inevitable happen some fucking how he's pinning the blame on you and pulled out two phones, one to record you and the other to call the police on you.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

Can’t really define evil, I just know it when I see it

ChaosGodOfJashin

The Chaos God of The Towers
Evil differ between person to person. For some people Evil is Sin and Sin is Evil. But even then Sin is needed. Theres no good without evil, there's no evil without good. Evil and Good is Yin and Yang they are needed and are everywhere. They are two sides of the same coin.
You can't just exterminate evil everywhere because its impossible. As long as a living being has a ego. Evil will also generate. There are some people who think giving money to beggars is good, but there are also some who thinks its bad.
In conclusion, my point of view of evil is Evil is just a concept nothing more nothing less. And anything the public, the law, the norms said evil will be evil.

DubstheDuke

For me, hypocrisy is the ultimate form of evil.

Someone who pretends to be a hero and succeeds in being seen as a hero while actually performing heinous actions is the most demented kind of villain.

Someone who is loved by everyone, adored by everyone, and objectively seen as "Good".

Someone who is able to use twisted words and propeganda to spin any tale in their favor, making them always seem to be the one in the right while leaving out anything that may make them look bad.

A lot of people may think things like rape, murder, torture, and other horrible things are the worst things that a person can commit. And these things, without question, are disgusting and horrible. But to be completely honest, I feel that liars and those who deceive others are the worst types of people.

Betrayal, brainwashing, manipulation, these things are all psychological. And to be able to destroy a person psychologically is far more disturbing than destroying them physically.

Not to say that the above listed physical actions won't destroy a person - but I believe that the people who perform such actions are base villains with little depth to them, driven by mere instinctual desires with no intelligence behind their actions - those who even villains will look upon with disgust.

They are mere side characters, to be killed off and removed from the story without serving any greater role than showing off the fortitude of either the main character - or perhaps even the main villain.

SternenklarenRitter

Evil is a choice. If one is unable to understand the consequences of their actions, then no matter how destructive those actions end up being they are performed innocently. Knowledge distills good and evil from the chaos of innocence. People perform evil acts for a number of reasons, for example someone may understand that their current course of action is wrong but fail to identify any better options. Someone may identify a good action but lack the courage to follow it through, remaining a bystander or perhaps succumbing to temptation. Finally someone may correctly identify good and evil acts, possess sufficient courage to follow through with any choice the see fit, but choose evil anyway because they don't really care about the harms or benefits they may bring about.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
If what they do is hurting Ai-chan and Ai-chan doesn't like them doing it and they still do it anyway, their actions are evil to Ai-chan. But that does not mean the person itself is evil. The person is evil when he enjoys doing things to others that others do not like despite knowing the people he does that to will not like it.

John slaps Carmina for no or weak reason = evil action
John slaps Carmina because Carmina hurts John first = justified punishment
John slaps Carmina repeatedly until Carmina cries or is injured = very evil action
John enjoys slapping Carmina and does it just because he loves watching Carmina in pain = evil person

Plantorsomething

Short-sightedness, miscommunication, lack of understanding, and ignorance. Evil is anything that is detrimental to the long term, usually caused to wanting a short term benefit or a fragile sense of power. The same way fear is a good emotion because it encourages caution, but can also lead to hate and ignorance. It’s easy to jump to the conclusion that anything taken to the extreme is evil, but like yin/yang, it’s almost impossible to have a pure essence of evil. An extreme in an isolated situation, like running on adrenaline, can be a good thing too in bursts.

Tldr, I don’t think pure evil can ever possibly exist.