What is success?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
At some point, everyone has heard someone talk about success. However, the idea of success is different from person to person. Some people believe that success is achieving what makes them happy while others will define it as having wealth and status. To say that any single person's idea of success was incorrect would be wrong. despite the fact that success is poorly defined as either "the accomplishment of an aim or purpose." and/or "the good or bad outcome of an undertaking." it is expected that when discussing success a person would understand it whether they have the same personal definition or not. What do you deem success to be and are you actively working towards that idea of success that you've created? Have you already achieved your success?

Macha

Not a Klutz
What do you deem success to be and are you actively working towards that idea of success that you've created? Have you already achieved your success?
My idea of success is enjoying life to its fullest and having nothing to worry about. I can achieve it by shutting down my brain, but it's only temporary.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
At some point, everyone has heard someone talk about success. However, the idea of success is different from person to person. Some people believe that success is achieving what makes them happy while others will define it as having wealth and status. To say that any single person's idea of success was incorrect would be wrong. despite the fact that success is poorly defined as either "the accomplishment of an aim or purpose." and/or "the good or bad outcome of an undertaking." it is expected that when discussing success a person would understand it whether they have the same personal definition or not. What do you deem success to be and are you actively working towards that idea of success that you've created? Have you already achieved your success?
If I count prior success

Nihilism

Well everyone is different! And success through time had different definitions. Imagine this, a farmer in 16th century defines success as a good harvest.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
My idea of success is making a positive impact on the world. Now that I'm a parent, I'm busy telling other parents or people considering parenthood what to do:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
My definition is the same as most, having basic needs fulfilled, no worries for accidents and hiccups and have enough for entertainment.

I don't base my happiness as it because I feel like a failure everytime for not accomplishing it. April was a rough month, it was red.

Ps. Success (or at least happiness) is when accomplishment > ego,

Last edited:

Armored99

Harem-phobic
Perhaps there's a better word than success for this.

It reminds me of how the ancient greeks had eight different words for love. because there are different kinds of love, just like there are different kinds of success.

Looking at the thread so far I would say there are

1. comfortable living - its like living the american dream.

2. ideological spread - being able to spread the faith or whatever other belief you have.

3. Working - kinda counter-intuitive since you work to achieve success, but many times success is getting to do the work you want to do.

4. Accumulation - when you lack a specific large goal, but can look back and see all the progress you've made.

and there is the 'achieve a goal you've set out to accomplish'

D

Deleted member 42060

Money is used to objectively measure success. So for me, success is when your passion makes you money. That’s pretty much it. I mean, sure, you earn from your job, but if it’s a job you hate, then I’ll just call that “unfulfilling success.”​

D

Deleted member 57675

Success is when you don't have to constantly worry whether you have enough in the future to live on, when you are stable enough in career and lifts a little weight off your shoulders, when you can finally do things you wish to do so, even if it's just on the side. Success can also depend on satisfaction - if person satisfied with their life they may have achieved success at life - doesn't always mean ceo, black tux success. Sometimes success means being able to achieved being loved by many and helping many. Or achievements we wish to be proud and recognized for.