What is the difference between girls being girls and lesbians

Daitengu

I've seen a lot of platonic friends flirt, so I'd say if they actually mean what they say, THEN they be lesbian. Tho polls show ladies are more likely to be bi or have had bi experience.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Girls tend to hug each other and do alot of things that one will do when one is in a relationship
So do guys? Well I guess it might be more of a cultural thing. The main difference is that lesbians are attracted to women. They can still hug friends without feeling anything though. As for the other things please elaborate, if it is holding hands or something, that too can be a friendship thing. Though, if it is kissing/making out, it is probably not.

The_3rd_Book

Pedagogical Cannibalism?
Intent. The same thing can be seen with young boys, and even a few teenage boys. For instance I was staring of into space in the direction of someone I knew. He saw I was staring so he decided to blow a kiss. I awoke from Alarm, and he laughed, then I laughed, and a few people who saw laughed. If he meant it that would have definitely been gay, but since he didn't it wasn't. Of course there are limits. If he went up to me and started fondling my crouch that would have been gay. In my family homosexualilty is sexaul or romantic feelings or actions between members of the same sex. Blowing the kiss wasn't romantic it was comical. Neither was it sexual therefore it's not gay. For females sitting on another's lap isn't sexual nor romantic because culture says it's not, and the people in question aren't meaning for it to be.

Owl

Nervous writer
Intention is the correct word here indeed.
I do hug my female friends. I'd also hug my male friends or cuddle them, if I was sure they'd not interpret it the wrong way. My way of showing affection is simply hugs and cuddles - in a platonic way. I simplydon't do it with guys because the chance of it being misinterpreted is higher.
That said, everyone has their personal level of what is considered comfortable. I know girl and guy friends for whom kissing on the cheek was considered normal, while I know girl and girl friends who didn't even like hugs.
Sexual things aside, as long as the intent is platonic, it is platonic.

Girls tend to hug each other and do alot of things that one will do when one is in a relationship
I don't know about you but where I'm from, hugging your family is also considered normal. It's not an inherently romantic gesture, neither is handholding ;)

Nneeil

I've never had issues hugging my male friends. Some of them even kissed my cheek, or slapped my butt, on multiple occasions. I've never interpreted it the wrong way, and neither did they or anyone else watching.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
This question is not the correct way to ask this. Girls being girls is the same as guys being guys. Men kiss and hug each other without being in relationships. They do this to say hello. Some people even kiss their parents. Does this mean they love their parents sexually? No.

This is all cultural, of course. But most cultures are already adapting kisses and hugs as greetings. Nothing about it has to be homosexual. Now, if you want to date girls, and have sex with them. That differs. If your gender is one of a female, that makes you a homosexual. Heck, that may be bisexual too.

Homosexuality is being sexually/romantically attracted to the same gender as you are. Not simple actions taken. One can't know by just seeing a person act. No matter how feminine or masculine the female/male acts.

I would know since I was labeled a lesbian once just because I had a close relationship with my best friend. Turned out I was straight while my friend was bisexual. Yet everyone swore I was the one into women. Funny how the world works. :blob_happy:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I didn't have many female friends growing up, so I'm not sure.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Intention
This is one of two answers...
This question is not the correct way to ask this
This is also true.

The other answer is: Perception.

It's entirely possible for two people to hug and kiss platonically, but they might be perceived as doing something sexual. 'Girls being girls' and 'boys being boys' is one of the excuses people use to dismiss things that make them uncomfortable. They don't actually care what the intent was, they just make an assumption in order to smooth out potential conflicts. That's kinda sad, but there's not much that can be done about it.

The ideal answer would be, "It doesn't matter." though. If it doesn't involve you, then that's the end of it.
If it does involve you, you'd have to ask for clarification. 'Did you mean that as a friend, or are you hitting on me?' It's really scary to ask something like that, of course. But if you want a secure relationship, be it a friendship or a romance... Well, that's why the cliché about communication is a thing.

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
homo intended.jpg

Mephi

Lots of people give hugs to others that they're close to. Guy, girl, doesn't matter. That's not reserved for romantic relationships only. Physical contact does not automatically imply romance. Some people just like physical contact with others more than not.

Now, society does tell guys that they can't get physical with other guys unless its semi-violent (like a playful punch to the shoulder) or its gay and you're flirting. This is a double standard that does not get applied to women. Indeed, its actually the opposite and society tends to encourage more non-violent, "empathetic, platonic" physical contact with women.

Two guys hugging? Lots of people will assume that's two gay guys. Two girls hugging? It happens.

The only way to be sure if its romantic is to ask. Clear communication.

Yati

Next to intend, there should also be the effect/result. Something that might not have been intended romantically might spark something in one or both participating in the action...

Is there a moment that keeps lingering and repeating in your head. Does thinking of the other person start to make your heart beat faster etc... People fall in love because of the simpelest of actions all the time... If a girl falls in love with another girl, she is at least bi.

I see a lot of people saying to ask. But some things should not always be asked directly if you don't want to blow things up from the start. Asking "Are you a lesbian?"or "Is your intention romantic" is putting your relationship on the spot. It is like forcing the other side to confess or back down and it might be the last time you see them, the same way as a failed confession would do. It might be a better idea to just start with communicating your own boundries to where you are comfortable for them to be. That way ,if you don't want that sort of attention, it should be clear without putting anyone on the spot.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
communicating your own boundries
Crap, this popped up while I was daydreaming earlier, and I thought I was gonna be so clever and mention it next time I logged in.

You don't need to directly ask someone if they're flirting with you if you naturally find out that they aren't interested in your gender through normal conversation. At the same time, having clingy friends can make you less interested in hanging out with them. So yeah... Boundaries.
You have to be clear about what you like, don't like, and why, otherwise you get the dreaded misunderstandings that everyone loathes so much.