What is the fascination with litRPG?

GlenWald

I'm new to the litRPG scene and I honestly do not see what the hype is about. Everyone has their subjective view about a specific genre and enjoy reading different kinds of literature, there are even people who enjoy reading case studies as casual reading... honestly who can judge? litRPG is so popular these days it has a massive following and everyone is trying their hand in writing it, and I don't know why.. heck I'm one of them! Some people are extremely successful in their endeavors and others.. well like me... just can't seem to get it right. I find writing litRPG to be tedious. Maybe it's because I haven't invested enough time in playing a RPG game in depth. I never could get the hang of perk upgrades, classes, armor, abilities and the lot. It takes time to learn and some concentration to understand. The Only MMORPG experience I have is in SWTOR, but I haven't played in years. I enjoy running around, slashing through mindless npc's and playing the story line. Is it maybe because I never got involved in the "Role Playing" aspect of the whole thing? Eh who knows? I would like to know from someone who truly enjoys the genre and maybe someone who even writes it. I'm eager to knw what the fascination is.

Farok

Well, I don't write litRPG, but I kinda understand why people like it. I think that one of the reason is because the readers can clearly see the protagonist's power evolving. When his magic stat rise from 78 to 138 it's a massive increase, a whopping 50 points! It means his spell will be like 30% more powerful.

People like numbers, and they like when these numbers go big. They like seeing pages of competences with great descriptions and being like, "Wow, when we're there, it's gonna be so cool." A bit like kids in fact, and I'm not saying that in a derogatory manner; everyone likes seeing the hero obtain a new power and kills hordes of bad guys.

But yeah, I think that litRPG is also popular because it's popular, just like Isekai. Someone made an Isekai novel, it became popular, hence more people wanted to make Isekais stories, rinse and repeat.

So, in short, people like seeing Power vizualized, and seeing it's growth throughout the story. .

Topgun1908

I'm new to the litRPG scene and I honestly do not see what the hype is about. Everyone has their subjective view about a specific genre and enjoy reading different kinds of literature, there are even people who enjoy reading case studies as casual reading... honestly who can judge? litRPG is so popular these days it has a massive following and everyone is trying their hand in writing it, and I don't know why.. heck I'm one of them! Some people are extremely successful in their endeavors and others.. well like me... just can't seem to get it right. I find writing litRPG to be tedious. Maybe it's because I haven't invested enough time in playing a RPG game in depth. I never could get the hang of perk upgrades, classes, armor, abilities and the lot. It takes time to learn and some concentration to understand. The Only MMORPG experience I have is in SWTOR, but I haven't played in years. I enjoy running around, slashing through mindless npc's and playing the story line. Is it maybe because I never got involved in the "Role Playing" aspect of the whole thing? Eh who knows? I would like to know from someone who truly enjoys the genre and maybe someone who even writes it. I'm eager to knw what the fascination is.
I think that part of your missing enjoyment is that you're talking about MMORPG's. In my opinion they fucking suck. However, I do love JRPG's, Strategy RPG's, and some others. MMORPG's have way too much to learn and remember but some people might like the complexity. Some people just like a good story with some usually simple but still unique gameplay.
This translates into books as well. Books that have a crap ton of skills, classes, and magic end up ignoring most of those as soon as the chapter they appear in is done. If anything they'll only show up again inside of a status but it's mainly there for decoration.
A book that has a good story with only a simple but unique gameplay element is easier to remember and keep track of for both the author and the reader. It also allows you to go into more depth about what a single skill or class is like because you don't have as much to talk about.
This is just my opinion and I feel like I deviated a lot from your original question so... I'm sorry bout that.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
The great thing about LitRPG is the visible growth.
We always like to see our characters grow, but that is hard to show that growth in most conventional fantasy. It is often slow, difficult to measure, and harder to write. With character sheets, we get a comprehensive and clear summary of how far our MC has gotten.
There is also a reward mechanic that is very satisfying. You succeed at something, you get rewarded, and the more difficult to achieve it is, the greater your reward. We humans love to get rewarded for something we feel we earned. It doesn't work quite as efficiently as in video games, but the leveling system was still specifically crafted to boost our dopamine level.
Lastly, it is very useful to level the playing field. In the real world, to learn a skill, we need training, and most importantly time. If our MC is thrust into a fantasy world where everyone has played with magic from birth, how will he catch up? By gaining levels and killing monsters, that is how. Learning blacksmithing is a lifelong endeavor, but with LitRPG, we can get our MC to craft awesome items after just a few skill levels. It lets him learn everything very fast, with it still feeling earned.
As for how to write it, I would say don't take LitRPG as the core of your story. The tag can bring readers to your story, but it won't be enough to keep them. The system is a part of your worldbuilding, and you need an engaging story to make use of it.

Topgun1908

Well, I don't write litRPG, but I kinda understand why people like it. I think that one of the reason is because the readers can clearly see the protagonist's power evolving. When his magic stat rise from 78 to 138 it's a massive increase, a whopping 50 points! It means his spell will be like 30% more powerful.

People like numbers, and they like when these numbers go big. They like seeing pages of competences with great descriptions and being like, "Wow, when we're there, it's gonna be so cool." A bit like kids in fact, and I'm not saying that in a derogatory manner; everyone likes seeing the hero obtain a new power and kills hordes of bad guys.

But yeah, I think that litRPG is also popular because it's popular, just like Isekai. Someone made an Isekai novel, it became popular, hence more people wanted to make Isekais stories, rinse and repeat.

So, in short, people like seeing Power vizualized, and seeing it's growth throughout the story. .
The problem with this though is that most don't do it too well in my opinion. The main character usually gets a unique or rare skill that completely makes the bad guys skills or stats not matter anymore. I have seen some novels do the leveling, skills, and classes done right to where it actually grows throughout the story. But those are pretty hard to find in my experience.

whitesculptor

The princess whispers & the keyboard clacks.
A good yet hard question! My first attempt at it was without ever watching/reading any litrpg work/anime. But not sure if it counts I played a few MMORPGs. From such games, I took this or that class/skill and figured I could give diverse characters a more meaningful "role to them." Just so we don't see the generic npcs, or side characters as just that. It allowed a bit of expansion towards the possibilities beyond them and their possible use of the story. I figured having health/mana parameters were pretty symbolic and in a way necessary, but even to this day I find some flaws in the whole thing. An example would be someone hitting another like a punch in the shoulder, causing some hp to deduct. After 10 hits the health reaches 0 and the person dies. (This doesn't make sense in a realistic perspective, in a game it would be actually fine since that's how it goes.)
Whereas some fantasy books have spells and magic to them, this genre has exactly the same but through skills, they're by far easier and simpler form to address an ability, avoiding at many times a long chant, and possible side effects. At best, I saw mana reaching 0 and they either get their health damaged, or feel feeble in some way.
I'm also one of those people who loves a good plot above everything else and my finger points towards that being one of the possible reasons some novels get readers. I'd go as far as to read an excellent one than a smut/plot hybrid for example. But diverse people have different tastes, and we're here to respect and write everything people enjoy. This was to say, that from the way you wrote it felt in my heart that you're not into the genre which is perfectly fine, but at the same time, I think you do enjoy writing. So on that note, perhaps a different genre would help you out more than forcing yourself to write something you don't like that much. (If I'm wrong I apologize.)
Another interesting aspect is to also mix genres, fairly speaking what's trendy, like isekai+litrpg+girlslove+gender bender+hero/villain tropes+and god knows what else, etc, etc, and use them as sub-plot/secondary things, just don't preselect them and then don't make them happen, so do take into consideration if they're worth using. (You don't want to cause a revolution of readers with torches on their hands, screaming at you for that girl-to-girl action, I've seen it happen to a fellow writer, I don't recommend it.)
I could probably add a few more things but I'll leave that to you if you have any pointers, questions, or even feel like typing anything back, it's always welcome.
Have a great day!

yb48

Si'm a little different from most people, the way i enjoy the story is quite simple, mc is not beta or stupid, For the RPG genre, I find it interesting because we can imagine living in a world with that system, we can see mc progress to grow, level up and get skills, give an example of magic, mc must learn to learn magic,but with rpg genre, mc only needs to learn magic skills, which are quite easy for readers to digest.

BlackKnightX

What I like about litRPG is that you can see the character’s growth in tangible forms, which are stats and such.

Think about it, what it would be like to have a game system in real life? It doesn’t have to be a cheat or anything, just a regular system that displays your measured stats and attributes. Your life will become a whole lot easier.

For example: if you wanna go hit the gym or do some exercise focusing on increasing your strength, then you can just do so while seeing the the progress in real time. It’d be extremely convenient.

Not to mention the quest and rewards feature.

RPG system just make the improvements and your growth more tangible, that’s why it’s so appealing, I think.

The simpler answer? Because the readers are gamers who like RPGs, Dungeon and Dragon, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and such; it’s pretty obvious why they’d be into litRPG.

Echimera

I'm actually not even sure how much overlap there is between RPG/MMORPG fans and litRPG fans. Nor if the existing overlap is based in the superficial similarities between these two.
The only real similarity of litRPGs and RPGs/MMORPGs I can think of is the numbers based status and leveling, everything apart from that has a wide variety on both sides, so I really can't see the similarities as anything but superficial and extremely vague.

In general, webnovels seem to go through hype-phases a lot. The majority of works that get released are mediocre at best, with some standouts trailblazing the hype in the first place (often at the tail-end of the previous hype-phase), others perpetuating it by hitting the right nerves of the readers (deviating more from the previous hype-phase) and another outstanding group laying the groundwork for the next big hype-phase.
I guess it has to do with authors seeing a new(1) thing becoming popular and imitating it in their own way in the hope of becoming popular themselves. Some find success by perfecting the formula in their own way, others by adding their own spin to it, but ultimately only a fraction of the released stories find widespread popularity.

(1) Seriously, so many of these hype-phases claim to be new when almost everything has been done long before the hype started. Why is the go-to for 'trapped in a game' type 'Isekai litRPG' stories SAO, when .hack exists? Or just look at all the stuff we'd classify as Isekai today that existed ages before the term was coined.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
Overall, there is not much difference in a litrpg vs any other fantasy story. Litrpg is simply the power system of the fantasy world. It does appeal a lot to people who play games, but also as others have already mentioned, the thing that makes litrpg so awesome is quantifiable growth.

Since you have quantifiable growth, the author has it much harder to pull a dues ex machina. It requires realistic solutions that fit the narrative, otherwise, the story turns to crap. More on that below.

The problem with this though is that most don't do it too well in my opinion. The main character usually gets a unique or rare skill that completely makes the bad guys skills or stats not matter anymore. I have seen some novels do the leveling, skills, and classes done right to where it actually grows throughout the story. But those are pretty hard to find in my experience.

Yes, that is because what happens is this, if anyone has paid attention, most litrpgs start with a lot of talk of the status screen and stats. But as time goes, stats become less and less shown, and author just does whatever.

The reason is a few things for this, the first is, to a reader, a status screen may take 10 seconds to look over. To an author, the status screen takes longer than writing a chapter.

The second reason is that any author will soon find out that the status screen LIMITS them. You see, the more information the author gives a reader, the more harder it becomes for the author to write without creating plot holes.

Thus, it doesn't take long for most litrpg to dump super rare OP skills onto the MC one after the other so that the MC can wiggle their way out of situations they shouldn't be able to beat with their normal skills or stats. And before long, the concept of stats and levels become useless. And even seemingly normal skills end up doing pretty much anything the MC needs at any time.

That is why most litrpgs midway become not litrpgs anymore but just a fantasy story which has some game elements.

Now I am not saying that is a bad thing, end of the day it is all about the story. Just many authors aren't prepared for all the work the litrpg requires. And if the shift away isn't planned for or thought out well, you end up with stories going down the drain.

Echimera

You see, the more information the author gives a reader, the more harder it becomes for the author to write without creating plot holes.
I have to disagree on that. Plot holes rarely have to do with the amount of information the consumer has and more with bad planning and tracking in general. More importantly, a plot hole can exist weather the consumer has the information to notice it or not.

On topic, it might be worth noting that there are different ways the whole status and level thing is used.
Some use it in a prescriptive way, as in you get only stronger when you level and certain things are impossible without the respective skills.
Others use it in a descriptive way, as in the status puts the capabilities of characters in numerical values and sometimes levels and concrete skill descriptions, but growing stronger and learning things work basically like in the real world.
Or something in-between, where people can train to get stronger (and increase the respective stat) but also get stats from levels.

LitRPG is such a vague term, honestly, I'd argue it's not really a genre and more a widely used trope.

Katsuya

I mean, i haven't written any yet, but, maybe the different skills and stuff. if you have lots of skills it shows how OP you are and vice versa. Especially for like smut, having like stats and stuff is nice cause of all the ero moves and stuff. Its also probably popular because of how much a character can increase in stats and how you can see other people's status and what they are. Ex. 'Slave', 'Hero', etc.

Temple

The great thing about LitRPG is the visible growth.
This is one of the main reasons. Big numbers...and tangible numbers related to growth. This is a very strong fantasy, even if most people won't admit it. Grindling Lvl 1 to lvl 10 sword mastery has a visible effect. In real life, work hard for several years, and most people won't see growth.

Look at the (probably) most famous litrpg novel, legendary moonlight sculptor. Really influential as it started RoyalRoad site. What is the first plot point of the game in that story? Whacking that stupid training dummy for several days continuously while people make fun of the MC for being stupid. But there's a dopamine rush when he was leveling secret skills while just whacking that dummy. And there's vindication of an underdog when that stupid plot point actually worked - another strong fantasy. We can argue all we want of the literary value of that opening chapter (actually second chapter iirc), but it undeniably worked very well as a hook.

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
Another thing that I've noticed is that it refreshes the "info dumps" method of conveying to the readers. Just about all litrpg's have the chance to set a separate box where descriptions are added. Instead of it seeming like a break in the narrative it's passed off as something natural given the setting.

Like having cliff notes in the middle of the story.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
I have to disagree on that. Plot holes rarely have to do with the amount of information the consumer has and more with bad planning and tracking in general. More importantly, a plot hole can exist weather the consumer has the information to notice it or not.
There is only so much one can plan and keep track. And the more details an author gives, the more tracking of those details one has to do. Lastly, you have to keep in mind that every person who reads something is not reading the story in same way any other reader is. Aka, authors are not omnipotent about everything, so no matter how much thought you put into something, there will always be things slipping through in hindsight. This is why the more information the reader has, the less flexibility the author has to get away with things. And as you add more info, the amount of tracking you need to do explodes exponentially.

On topic, it might be worth noting that there are different ways the whole status and level thing is used.
Some use it in a prescriptive way, as in you get only stronger when you level and certain things are impossible without the respective skills.
Others use it in a descriptive way, as in the status puts the capabilities of characters in numerical values and sometimes levels and concrete skill descriptions, but growing stronger and learning things work basically like in the real world.
Or something in-between, where people can train to get stronger (and increase the respective stat) but also get stats from levels.

LitRPG is such a vague term, honestly, I'd argue it's not really a genre and more a widely used trope.
What's the difference? Litrpg is an emerging genre, and like every genre, it consists of a variety of tropes.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I write LitRPG because it's fun. Ever since I was I have been making up video games in my head and imagined playing them. It is simply a natural evolution of that same creative desire.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Am the weird one for not really liking litRPG systems of any kind? Sure, they are an easy way to visualize growth, "titles" and token abilities but that's it.

Why do we need to know that Bill Invince, Heroic Hero of Heroism, Slayer of Boobas, Freeer of the free, destroyer of the destroyed, friend of friendlies, billest of bills has 50000k different skills that he can grind if he only ever uses his Powaaa of PLOT to finish everything off?

I'm currently plotting a litRPG myself and I'm really thinking about just removing the system and most signs of litRPGness alltogether. All of the things I thought a lit system would add to the story can be replaced by being creative.

Stats: Just, I dunno, describe the changes a character went through?

Titles: Show how rumors spread and/or how those "titles" started and kept sticking

Skills: Same as Stats, just show them being created and used. Most people have habits and prefered ways to solve problems, so just find abilities that fit the character and grow out those

And while I'm no fan of "show, don't tell", I appreciate it for showing (hurr hurr) that it's wrong to just tell or in case of a system just dump everything on the reader and be done. And yes, "showing" a stat display doesn't count as "showing" as meant in that rule, imo. It just tells us what those things do and how much more X is in contrast to Y and thus makes the changes almost always absolute.

A system is just an easy (speak lazy) way to visualize the "rules of the world". You just say "that's litRPG, it's how the world works" and be done explaining magic, combat and maybe even society and culture of most places instead of creating a character or chapter to experience those.

A system means in 9/10 cases you have a society where the number of your level dictates how much influence you have. Unless you're the MC, tho. We can't have those be bound by something that isn't a bondage session with their waifhusbandos.

This might be my personal bias speaking, but everything litRPG and even Isekai can do could be done almost the same way without them. Which tells me they're mostly just there to be there.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
I'm new to the litRPG scene and I honestly do not see what the hype is about. Everyone has their subjective view about a specific genre and enjoy reading different kinds of literature, there are even people who enjoy reading case studies as casual reading... honestly who can judge? litRPG is so popular these days it has a massive following and everyone is trying their hand in writing it, and I don't know why.. heck I'm one of them! Some people are extremely successful in their endeavors and others.. well like me... just can't seem to get it right. I find writing litRPG to be tedious. Maybe it's because I haven't invested enough time in playing a RPG game in depth. I never could get the hang of perk upgrades, classes, armor, abilities and the lot. It takes time to learn and some concentration to understand. The Only MMORPG experience I have is in SWTOR, but I haven't played in years. I enjoy running around, slashing through mindless npc's and playing the story line. Is it maybe because I never got involved in the "Role Playing" aspect of the whole thing? Eh who knows? I would like to know from someone who truly enjoys the genre and maybe someone who even writes it. I'm eager to knw what the fascination is
Conditioning and Addiction.

I would actually say that emergence of current litRPGs coincides with WoW release. There were stories about being in a game before but I am unfamiliar with any that outright used numbers and statuses.

This wasn't just about the emergence of MMORPG - it was about the emergence of subscription-based games.

Suddenly these companies not only wanted their games to be interesting enough in premise to lure new customers - they needed these customers to stay month after month and pay the fee.

The easiest way to do it - is addiction.

The whole process of a (Quest -> Reward) (EXP -> LVL UP) (Kill -> Loot) (Hard task -> Achievement\Title) is a series of sharp quick dopamine loops that flood your brain with pleasure hormones. Millions of ppl got addicted to these games exactly for that reason. And the same system works just as well in literary media.

Second is the fact that a lot of specific terminologies are ingrained in readers minds by default. Things like level\experience\Skills\stats as such an author can explain a lot very quickly. +5 STR caries quite a lot of information than "or and" for example.

This again allows writers to give out information fast and quick and in an obvious manner - thus making the effort smaller and reward - quicker. once again feeding the dopamine release.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
A system is just an easy (speak lazy) way to visualize the "rules of the world". You just say "that's litRPG, it's how the world works" and be done explaining magic, combat and maybe even society and culture of most places instead of creating a character or chapter to experience those.

A system means in 9/10 cases you have a society where the number of your level dictates how much influence you have. Unless you're the MC, tho. We can't have those be bound by something that isn't a bondage session with their waifhusbandos.

This might be my personal bias speaking, but everything litRPG and even Isekai can do could be done almost the same way without them. Which tells me they're mostly just there to be there.
I am not sure why some people think that litrpg is the lazy way to make a power system, probably because they haven't actually written one. LitRPG is MUCH harder to write then people think, or at least write properly, anyone can write anything, it's a matter of making it good or not.

First of all in litrpg, the stats are the basic concept that visualized the rules, but there are a lot of fundamentals that make up the rules. That requires work from the author. You aren't done explaining magic, combat, society or culture simply due to it being litrpg.

Not to mention, by stating someone has 100 str, it limits the author in preventing someone with less str to be physically stronger. So the author has to do a lot of extra work in other aspects to go around it be it skills, gear, or other means. It's much easier in a non-litrpg, where the author can just have the person win in strength despite being weaker due to say, "power of friendship". Now of course that doesn't mean the author can't do the same thing in litrpg. But the problem with litrpg vs other genres is since the things are quantified, it is much harder for authors to get away doing that without completely ruining their litrpg.

As I mentioned before, the more you tell the reader, the harder it is for an author to write and be consistent. Because it becomes easier for readers to point out plot holes and other inconsistency.

To give a comparison, writing a litrpg is like saying aloud that you plan to get a perfect score on every test. And doing without it is like saying I'll get anywhere from 0 to perfect. The one who claims to get perfect score every test, the moment they get even 1 point less, opens them up for criticism, which is much less so for anyone who set no hard limits. And this is why most litrpgs soon stop being litrpgs and just turn into any other kind of novel when the author consciously or unconsciously moves away from it as they find it much easier to "be creative" then actually hold yourself to hard standards. That of course doesn't mean you can't do both. But doing it properly is important to writing a proper litrpg.

As for everything is possible to be done without it being litrpg or isekai, sure... but can't that be said about anything? That is the whole point of writing. There is no one way to do anything. This is why so many different stories exist. But they aren't there just to be there, they are there like any other element of the story, to portray an experience. Take isekai, you can of course put a local in there who lacks common sense due to being brought up in the mountains or some other place, or due to being sent into the future/past. But then here is the thing, would that local share similar cultural standards as someone from our world? The whole point of isekai, while being self insert also portrays a character who we can relate to, even if said character isn't us. This is much harder to do with a local, and actually gets weird when suddenly a local character starts having weird cultural values that don't fit their surroundings. Of course with tropes and overuse of anything, it's getting a lot harder to emphasize even with the isekai characters as now instead of actually being anything like regular people. Take the lack of common sense. Initially, lack of common sense was mostly due to either 1) a character not knowing the world's common sense, or 2) The person simply is too OP to care and does whatever they want. But now, it devolved into MCs who don't even know our own world's common sense and lack even basic human learning ability. But that is what happens when author's add tropes without thinking about how it actually fits into their world.

Long story short, don't blame the litrpg genre simply because it is being handled poorly. It is simply not as easy of a genre as most people think it is to write. It takes a lot more work then people initially think.