What is the point of Genderbending?

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
I don't know about that lol. I think saying a few google searches would solve it is a bit of a stretch, but eh. Any opinions I have developed concerning Modern women would just offend people here, and I'm not interested in explaining how little I care for their feelings and opinions. So I'll avoid it.
What most people are trying to write is not a realistic or even believable character, what they're trying to write is a readable character. You don't need to know the all the ins-and-outs in that case.

I mean, how many cardboard cutout Isekai protags do we have irl?

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
What most people are trying to write is not a realistic or even believable character, what they're trying to write is a readable character. You don't need to know the all the ins-and-oute in that case.

I mean, how many cardboard cutout Isekai protags do we have irl?
Let see poor self-esteem, poor people skills, no social life, nerd, little to no interaction with human beings, and yet manages to develop an insane amount of popularity and somehow respect?

I found our savior from the demon lord, Mark Zuckerburg.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Let see poor self-esteem, poor people skills, no social life, nerd, little to no interaction with human beings, and yet manages to develop an insane amount of popularity and somehow respect?

I found our savior from the demon lord, Mark Zuckerburg.
Unfortunately, I am more worried about our friend Mark Zuckerburg becoming the demon lord(assuming he wasn't already the demon lord of reptiles)

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
what do you mean? there's a shit ton
All hail the Zuck.
Unfortunately, I am more worried about our friend Mark Zuckerburg becoming the demon lord(assuming he wasn't already the demon lord of reptiles)
That's the plot twist! He usurps the demon lord and becomes the new one, I am sure the audience that has been following our protagonist Lord Zuckerburg, Protector of Silicon Valley, Hero of Big Tech, Keeper of Secrets; won't expect this turn of events.

It will be as surprising and exciting as when Madara got fisted by the Moon Tree Bitch.

Last edited:

SternenklarenRitter

I have no doubt that many novels have these themes, but it just seems I have come across a bunch of novels that use genderbender for smut and not much else.
Not surprising, since a lot of authors use novels for smut and not much else. Rather than a trend of either genderbender or webnovels, I suspect this reflects the wider internet.

That aside, my personal suspicion is that most gender bender of the type "Now he's a girl. Let us never speak of this again," is an excuse. When a male author wants to explore their own feminine habits and personality traits, but they are either too repressed to admit it or it is "culturally inappropriate for men to empathize with ladies", they use gender bender. It is a tragic cry for help from hurt men in a society that lacks gender equality. Not that this makes the actual novel any better or worse; I really enjoyed "Reincarnated Vampire just wants to Nap" for example.

CL

@T.K._Paradox You should explore some of the FtM Genderbend tags. No promises, but those stories may give you different reasons behind their transformations.