What is the preferred frequency for chapters release for readers?

Daichi

How many chapters readers want to read in a week or in a day?

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
I like 2 chapters a week or one, if the story is good 3 a week is good. More than that overwhelms me, it can even happen to me that I'm bored to death by daily chapters, because I don't have time to think about the story, I don't guess what's gonna happen if I'll have my answer the next day.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I like weekly chapters usually, though I'm fine with anything from Daily to Monthly.

Faster than Daily becomes too much for me, so I drop those... Slower than Monthly becomes too slow, so I need to really love the story to keep at it.

Jemini

So far as getting and keeping a readership goes, it's really a case of the more the better, especially and in particular at the beginning. Few caveats though. As AliceShiki said, daily releases are about the most frequent you should go unless you have fewer than 25 chapters. If you have fewer than 25 chapters (which happens to be the default setting number for the chapters per page on PC,) then you want to get to 26 chapters as soon as you possibly can. (Having that 2nd page changes how some people look at your series.)

Once you pass that 25 mark, you can get away with slowing down to whatever's comfortable for you. However, you shouldn't back it off too quickly.

One chapter per week is about the lowest frequency you should probably go with.

TRNRLogan

So far as getting and keeping a readership goes, it's really a case of the more the better, especially and in particular at the beginning. Few caveats though. As AliceShiki said, daily releases are about the most frequent you should go unless you have fewer than 25 chapters. If you have fewer than 25 chapters (which happens to be the default setting number for the chapters per page on PC,) then you want to get to 26 chapters as soon as you possibly can. (Having that 2nd page changes how some people look at your series.)

Once you pass that 25 mark, you can get away with slowing down to whatever's comfortable for you. However, you shouldn't back it off too quickly.

Ooh that's a good thing to remember. Whatever your frequency is scaling up or down NEEDS to be gradual.

JayDirex

So far as getting and keeping a readership goes, it's really a case of the more the better, especially and in particular at the beginning.

I have posted three novels on SH, two of them are complete and @Jemini is speaking gospel... but damn it's hard to write 25 chapters in advance. by the time you get to chapter 10 web authors suffer withdrawal because they want someone to read it.

Alienix

I have posted three novels on SH, two of them are complete and @Jemini is speaking gospel... but damn it's hard to write 25 chapters in advance. by the time you get to chapter 10 web authors suffer withdrawal because they want someone to read it.

Fact. Lol. I was planning to publish my story once I hit 40 chapters. However, I suffered from this withdrawal

ReadingNovels

For me, it depends on the length of the chapters, I’d say. I do like 1-2 chapters a week if they have a lot of text. If they’re short chapters, maybe 2-3 times a week. Of course, each author has their own life outside of writing a novel so I would never suggest unrealistic releases. It’s all a matter of how much the author/writer feels they can write.

If writing and releasing at a slower rate means the author can write chapters that make sense and actually have content (as opposed to writing fillers just to keep up their release rate), then I’d rather read like that. All in all, it’s up to the author.

thedude3445

My preliminary evidence on this site is that daily chapters aren't actually good for all genres... One a day and 5-6 a week is probably optimal for those quick burst action stories, but maybe not as much for non-action, because dang my views have flatlined.

On other sites or in general serialized fiction, once a week tends to be pretty successful if you have kinda beefy chapters. Shorter or faster paced stuff should probably be more often.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Unless you have the entire story already written and edited, set a schedule you can stick to where you won't get burned out. I release a new chapter every 8 days because I have a lot of other demands on my time.

i need the story to be enjoyable first, and the author will eventually complete it.

JayDirex

let's not forget, readers save up chapters (I do). I'm busy during the week so I read whatever is posted on Sat/Sun. and I don't mind once a week.