What is Wuxia/Xiania and Cultivatio?

KingMusa

Like the title says, can you guys please explain to me what Wuxia/Xiania and Cultivation is? Like I have a vague idea of what they are after I did a bit of research, but im still mostly clueless.

I see it tagged in many different Novels, not just here, and I've seen/played games that have those elements, I possibly might want to cooperate it into my universe, if it interest me

So can you guys be as of so kind to help a fellow Scribble Hubian out!? I'd very much appreciate it, Thank You!

Joyeuse

Like the title says, can you guys please explain to me what Wuxia/Xiania and Cultivation is? Like I have a vague idea of what they are after I did a bit of research, but im still mostly clueless.

I see it tagged in many different Novels, not just here, and I've seen/played games that have those elements, I possibly might want to cooperate it into my universe, if it interest me

So can you guys be as of so kind to help a fellow Scribble Hubian out!? I'd very much appreciate it, Thank You!
Simply said it's Chinese style fantasy stories focused on fantasy martial arts, cultivation is the process they use to grow stronger more or less and the general name you can use for both Xianxia and Wuxia stories
Xianxia is fantasy martial arts plus monsters, Wuxia is just fantasy martial arts

And if I am asked, they are bad, because of how repetitive they are, I don't recommend to delve into these that much... It's rare to see innovation in those stories, the only thing I consider worse than isekai

NonReal

Cultivation refers to a type of 'magical' practice where they use external power, and absorb it into themselves turning it into their own strength in pursuit of immortality.
Xianxia is a genre revolving around that practice. Whatever the actual story, characters, and so on, the main goal of the story is still to attain immortality and the power that comes with it.
Wuxia on the other hand doesn't necessarily focus that much on cultivation, and the focus is more on the adventures of martial artists and how they impact the world around them.

Simo

A lazy sloth
Uh, basically cultivation = sitting in lotus position + eating pills + stealing treasures + defying the heavens + taking destiny in ones own hands + slapping arrogant young masters, then their fathers, then their grandfathers, then their ancestors, then their grand ancestor, then their deities… + Jade beauties (ofc) mostly useless if I may add + more pills + fighting people above your realm + jumping from village to small town to small kingdom to small planet to small realm to small galaxy while always (almost always) being a country bumpkin.

There’s still quite more, but eh, I’ll leave it here until your cultivation level breaks through the next realm. Otherwise you might suffer from a mental demon due to the vast amount of knowledge.

Varstark

Dunno about cultivation, but you can essentially just think of wuxia as the Chinese version of Arthurian/Tolkien high fantasy, but old as dirt (although the term "wuxia" is thought to have been coined in the 19th century). You've got martial warriors, magic, drama, politics, princesses, dragons, demons, spirits, treasures, nations, wars, etc. Their nature is different, but the mirror image is there. Pretty much a fictional essence of a culture's...zeitgeist? I guess is the way to say it.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
Wuxia is just standard martial arts novels with some low fantasy shtick that is still more or less ground in reality-ish. They might punch a hole 5 feet in diameter into a brick wall, but they can't fly and throw spirit bombs.

Xianxia might as well be Dragon Ball Z just with more items.

Akaichi

Deathblade's videos offer explanations for all you cultivation questions. That guy knows what he is talking about.

Last edited:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Wuxia is your standard kungfu story and is greater than xianxia.

Xianxia is like someone fed you crack, heroin and weed at the same time before giving you a pen and paper and telling you to write a 1,000,000 words wuxia story in a month or they'd murder your mom in cold blood.

Cultivation is when you till the soil, put seed in it and pour water on it to make the seed grow into a tree or shrub.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
Xianxia is like someone fed you crack, heroin and weed at the same time before giving you a pen and paper and telling you to write a 1,000,000 words wuxia story in a month or they'd murder your mom in cold blood.
I just...what can someone say in response to this??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Those stories about pretentious a-holes that do nothing but munch drugs and sit around looking even more constipated than the cast of DBZ doing their two season long power-ups?

The ones were comedy is defined as "YOU dare to defy me?!?!? Now I have to kill you and all that know you for cheap revenge fantasies and lulz"?

Where boys look like girls (which strangely is still allowed even tho chinese law currently forbids doing exactly that) and girls act like cardboards?

You mean those? Nope, no idea either.

FallingLeaf

If I remember right Xianxia was supposed to mean something like immortal hero or something similar to that. A Chinese version of high fantasy and seeking immortality through various means, often with a large focus on personal enlightenment and understanding the universe, sometimes drawing influence or reference from classic Chinese folklore, history and myths like Taoism/Daoism, Confucianism, etc. Dao/Tao translating to path/way.

At least…in theory. In practice it’s often like the others have said-Chinese murderhobo MC wandering around chugging drugs like no tomorrow and pissing off everyone around them for no reason except they can, killing everyone who looks at them strangely (or who has some macguffin they want) and saying they’re King Dickhead of the entire universe and they’ll prove it even if they have to murder every last other person in existence (“ruthless” MCs)

Sects are a big thing as well-basically think of a gang/mafia of wizards/superheroes and all the conflict and political nonsense that would come with, complete with gang turf wars and all sorts of similar things. The sects usually basically boil down into rival gangs and warlords with their own personal turfs and they’ll fight anyone who insults them…or who they think insulted them….or has something they want to steal. Blood feuds and gang wars are frequent

“The man’s only sin/crime was being too weak to hold onto what he has” is something I’ve seen way more frequently than I should-basically might makes right and if someone wants to mug or murder someone else for some shiny thing they have, too bad, sucks to be them, their fault for being so weak. Except when it happens to someone they know, then it’s how dare the elder pick on the junior and they have no face and must be put to death for their crimes

Face/reputation is a big deal as well, and often there are (initially) non-violent clashes/scuffles the MC has with someone where he “slaps their face”, or publicly embarrasses/humiliates them (or they view it as being humiliation even if it wasn’t). This often leads to escalating violence that only ends when either the MC is dead or the entire enemy family/sect is wiped out.

You can also expect the “upper worlds” that often show up with the MC ascending to them to be basically the same thing but more people are immortal, yet somehow learn nothing and still act like psychotic murderhobos

SuperHeiyan

Every time I see cultivation, I think of agriculture. Demonic crop rotation technique.
So what? Cultivate yourself then cultivate the world or just cultivate the world and eat good.
It's not like Kung Fu was originally about martial arts either.

kingsky123

Wuxia is a setting usually about pugilists and fighters or organizations (sects) that vye for supremacy using their martial arts. a famous example would be legend of the condor heroes.

Xianxia is a setting about usually chinese mythologies, a world where demons, and gods and priests attempt to attain immortality, ascend into godhood, or vice versa, gods being punished and sent to earth and to walk on it as a path of redemption and understanding. A famous example would be the tale of Nezha.

Cultivation is a method of attaining a 'higher spiritual realm' aka godhood via meditation, perhaps some form of pill or divine item.

The idea of 'gods' in wuxia/xianxia world isn't really abrahamic, an all knowing purposeful god but closer to greek myths whereby gods are tasked with purpose such as lightning and whatnot.

But in chinese mythology it is possible to 'ascend' into godhood via deeds and actions. It is deeply rooted in buddhist and daoist philosophies usually.