What is your definition of success for your novel?

TestingTeddy

What is your standard that states that your novel is a success?
  • Is it the views, favs, reviews?
  • Is it the money that you get?
  • Is it the number of chapters you've made so far?
  • Is it the story making sense?
  • Is it the joy of making it?
With success, there's also failure. What makes you decide the story should end or is a lost cause?

Kotohood

Noob Author
I dunno bout success, but I consider a work as a failure when literally nobody reads your latest chapter. I'm talking like 10 views at most after 1 week of updating.

Happened to one of my series actually. Nobody read it, might as well end it and start writing another one. My current two stories are way more successful than my first.

There were a few people who told me to just keep writing when I told them I'm ending the series, but I'm kind glad I didn't listen to them. My new work would have never existed if I continued.

Vaerama

100 chapters
1,000 readers on scribblehub.

Until then, it’s not a success, it’s only moving towards success.

There’s no need to fret for failure though: I’m already well past the point I thought I would ever get to. 1/10th and a hundredth of the way to my chapter goal, and ~50 people liked it enough to put it in their reading list even before I updated the quality of the first four chapters to a standard I can actually be mostly happy with.

Granted, it’s still no Pulitzer material, but then it was never intended to be. I still took a week to iron down my intentions with the story since it has *any* audience already (prefer to spare people needless disappointment if possible) and I wanted to be sure I knew what I was doing (was pleasantly surprised: one single sentence was all that needed to change plot wise), but I really enjoy the exercise of habitual daily writing (albeit, won’t mean daily uploads if we’re allowed to fish this summer).

Husband says my chapters are too long tho 😅 7 x 2K > 3 x 4K, mathematically speaking.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
With success, there's also failure. What makes you decide the story should end or is a lost cause?
Hey man if my story give you either a laugh or a hard on (or often times both, sometimes simultaneously ), then i consider it a success

ThatGloverGuy

I just want people to enjoy my stories. So yes, reviews, favorites, views, they all give me that little hit of dopamine to get me motivated for the next one.
I'll always feel fulfillment making stories. But once they're complete, they get lonely without someone's attention.
Other than that, I'd like to outsell JK Rowling. That's not too much to ask is it?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I dunno, I guess I consider it a success if I am happy with the amount of views I got I guess?

No specific standard or anything, just as long as the number of views I got seems big enough, I'm happy~

LilithFairen

What I'd love most is for my stories to inspire and impassion people just as my favourite stories have done for me.

That's all I really need.

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
Not dropping it ish good nuff

ChubbyLiv

Comments from my readers are what keeps me going. They let me know that what I'm doing is pretty good.

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
I consider it a success if I can impact the life of one person.

Is a lost cause if no one reads it, but I'll finish it no matter what because there's a message I want to share; I also hate it when people don't finish the novels I like. So I'll always finish it even if I just rush the ending.

if it can make me write it from the start to finish while enjoying its process, it's enough for me :D /

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
I'd say that it varies for me depending on the story and my recent goals. I normally don't look at views too much since they depend on a lot of factors that aren't always related to the story itself. Like, I have stories that reach several 100k views on one site but can't even reach 10k on another. So sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right site for the right story (which can be a success in and of itself but I'd say that's not one of the story and more one of my marketing ability :blob_sweat: ).

Success for a story could be finishing to write it in a certain amount of time, a story reaching a certain length, placements on a ranking, being able to pull off something creative in the story itself, having added something to my portfolio I felt was lacking, ... Honestly, there's lots of things I'd consider a success.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I will never tell if my story will be a success until I finish it and look back upon it. Even if it broke records, went on to become a multimillion franchise and make merch surpassing the likes of Sonic Blue Curry, if I'm not satisfied with it, I'd probably consider it a failure.

Until then, I cannot consider my novel's success. I can only work towards it.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
My definition of success for a novel is having a novel actually written.

As you can see, I don't have a lot of success.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
For me, it's about the people I reach. I write to promote honesty, love, and acceptance in this world.

"We are not merely participants in culture but creators of it."
- Kari Rakitan

I write about some controversial topics, and that leads many people to give my story a low rating without even giving it a chance. When I first joined this site, my first four ratings came in at one star, so I decided to roll with it. Why strive for the highest rating on the site when I can take pride in having the lowest? My story is for the curious souls out there.

D4isuke

Depressed Pervert who loves writing good smut.
I merely want to write a series despite of any 'flexible' statistics and numerous chapters... as long as I keep my point to the whole concept of my fiction.