What is your preferred periphery for writing?

What do you use for writing (gaming)? (max 2)

• Mechanical Keyboard (click-click is my jam and my neighbours better get used to it)

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Membrane Keyboard (its just a keyboard dude, what are you on about?)

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Butterfly/Scissor Keyboard (MacBook, iMac, you know, apple stuff)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • My phone/tablet/smart-fridge (virtual keyboards is the future, old man)

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Typewriter (Then I digitalise my stuff, you pleb)

• Pen and paper (I like trying figuring out what I wrote days ago in a hurry)

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Speech-to-text (Because of disability and not because I'm lazy)

• Other (specify in comments, especially if you are a prototype subject of a neural brain chip)

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I'm an AI already. I don't write, I think and it appears. (but it is a secret so sssh!)

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I was curious about what most of you use for writing and/or even gaming. (I'd like to focus on keyboards here, so I get it, gaming on consoles includes controllers.)

Or even if you care at all? Let me start then, so you also get why I got curious:

At first, I had this at my desk: A Roccat Ryos with MX-Black switches:

It did not take long to realize black switches were not my cup of tea. I found it unpleasant and, how to put it... hard to write continuously on them. Not to mention, it came with a faulty led under the caps lock, right out of the box. Well, whatever. Used it for a year, but never get used to it so went ahead and bought another specimen:

It was a Razer Huntsman, a V1 version.

I really, really loved that optical switch they came up with. (laser-based stuff). It was awesome. The clickiness, the feedback of the switches, everything was just right. It was a pleasure to write on it. For a year. Then, the supposedly way sturdier Opto switch, or whatever they call it started to say "fuck you", right after the warranty was gone. For example, my K key wouldn't register. I had to keep pressing it for almost a minute to wake up and start working, but it either missed when being pressed down or registered a fuckton of keypresses. Nothing helped, and looking up solutions it came back, it was probably the shiny new tech of the lasers being faulty in the key itself. Well... shit. So, I went ahead and dug into keyboards and bought my current love:

A Keychron K8 with red switches.

It is a pleasure to write on it. I was afraid of the red switches, as they are linear switches but damn it feels good typing on it. After 3 months of use, I couldn't find anything to bitch about. But the best part is that this keyboard has built-in options: Mac or Windows (just flip the switch on the side), also it has a switch for Bluetooth or wired mode and is capable of remembering 3 devices. So if I really want, I can pair it to my phone, or tablet too with a press of a button. (two buttons to be exact). Then... it has switchable keycaps AND keys. Tools included. If one of my keys goes rogue on me again, I just order a bunch of switches and plop it out, put in the new, keyboard fixed, back to writing. Best part? It was half the price of current "gaming" keyboards. (around a 100$, converted from my local currency)

What about you? Do you have your preferred keyboards? Either for writing or gaming? Or preferred switches? Or you don't care at all because:

M.G.Driver

Most of the time my writing is done on the train, so phone.

D

Deleted member 54065

I still use typewriter. I just love the 'clacking' sound, as well as I can 'go wild' (or type hard) whenever I type on it.

Pen and paper too. Because sometimes, I stay at a nearby convenience store to write stories. I feel the story I wrote will be fleshed out more once I transfer it to digital.

Whatever keyboard suits me, as long as I can type in peace.

I use my phone whenever I do groceries, then got an idea in mind I need to write down.

For gaming? I'd like a sturdy keyboard, because my hands are like a water faucet whenever I play (hard).

Corty

Most of the time my writing is done on the train, so phone.
I always fight with autocorrect on phone, especially because english is not my native language.

I still use typewriter. I just love the 'clacking' sound, as well as I can 'go wild' (or type hard) whenever I type on it.

Pen and paper too. Because sometimes, I stay at a nearby convenience store to write stories. I feel the story I wrote will be fleshed out more once I transfer it to digital.

Whatever keyboard suits me, as long as I can type in peace.

I use my phone whenever I do groceries, then got an idea in mind I need to write down.

For gaming? I'd like a sturdy keyboard, because my hands are like a water faucet whenever I play (hard).
So you are like a swiss army knife, eh? Should have put unlimited choices into the poll. :blob_hmm:

Legi0n

Yoo. Mechanical Keyboard using blue switches here (a "gaming" one, though not really standard; has some good price/quality ratio and a metal body).

Clicky is the way!

"Proper" keyboards are a pain to get here since I want my layout to be italian.

$100 a gaming keyboard is highway robbery!

Last edited:

Corty

Yoo. Mechanical Keyboard using blue switches here (a "gaming" one, though not really standard; has some good price/quality ratio).

Clicky is the way!

"Proper" keyboards are a pain to get here since I want my layout to be italian.

$100 a gaming keyboard is a thieft!
As my new keyboard is switchable, I was thinking about ordering a few different switches and trying them out. Never used blue ones before, maybe I'll order a set and check them out if they are that good!

I also feel you with the layouts. I had to get used to the UK layout, which took me a few months at the first time, as it is almost impossible to get my native language's layout in quality keyboards.

SailusGebel

Membrane Keyboard (its just a keyboard dude, what are you on about?)

D

Deleted member 54065

I always fight with autocorrect on phone, especially because english is not my native language.

So you are like a swiss army knife, eh? Should have put unlimited choices into the poll. :blob_hmm:
My attitude is more on the "use what is available" side. Drawings, manuscripts...if I love something I do, I get it done no matter what.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I write with henna on my thighs so my toddler can learn to read while breastfeeding. I write with painter's tape on the floor so my toddler can pee on it.

Corty

I write with henna on my thighs so my toddler can learn to read while breastfeeding. I write with painter's tape on the floor so my toddler can pee on it.
Progressive. And artistic. True artist family in the making. No wonder people also write their names into the snow with pee. Never made the connection in my mind until now. :blob_paint:

Seseal

I use a Varmilo keyboard with the EC Rose switch, linear with 60g.
Though... I did use MX brown switches before. Same brand, and well... I used the razor huntsman before as well, and I found it very annoying after a while. And I now lean more toward the heavier switches, and well, anything work as long as it isn't MX silent red...
Also... I also switched because the RGB felt overwhelming after a while...
(Yes, judge me, I kinda like the brown switch....)

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I write ony PC but it doesn't really matter. That's just my preferred option.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
I have a £10 gaming keyboard, I didn't need it and I don't play games, but it was a tenner and has pretty light-up keys. It would have been rude not to get it.

melchi

What is a custom title?
I have had quite a few razer keyboards but for being sturdy metal beasts they tend to not last. After going through several black widows I gave up on the brand. I got an off brand mechanical 3/4 keyboard and have been using that for years without it causing any issues.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I use pen and paper now, found out that the added use of neurons makes remembering what I wrote easier. After that I use a mechanical keyboard when typing and editing.

Corty

I have had quite a few razer keyboards but for being sturdy metal beasts they tend to not last. After going through several black widows I gave up on the brand. I got an off brand mechanical 3/4 keyboard and have been using that for years without it causing any issues.
Yeah, same. After the Huntsman keyboard decided to give up on life, I also decided to give up on brands and look for cheaper but good alternate products.

I use pen and paper now, found out that the added use of neurons makes remembering what I wrote easier. After that I use a mechanical keyboard when typing and editing.
I just can't use pen and paper, my wrist hurts after half an hour or so, and my handwriting is atrocious to look at in the first place.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I just can't use pen and paper, my wrist hurts after half an hour or so, and my handwriting is atrocious to look at in the first place.
That’s a problem with writing technique. If you’re writing too fast it’ll get tired. Pen and paper forces me to slow down, which seems to help stop me from going off on tangents and writing a bunch of nonsense.