What is your Writing Obsession?

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Like ashes, like dust, my mind drifted across the wind of imagination. Into the wonderland of creativity, I traversed the depth of Cliff Hanger, the vast void of Hiatus, and the mysterious land of Foreshadowing.

Anyway, that's an example of my 'obsession'. I love to write in prose and metaphysical story. I like to stylize my story towards romanticism, I think. I don't like redundant words, but I also counteractively like long prose that flowed like soft rain on a sunny day. I also am very, very obsessed with Two Words Structure. I just made that name up; it's basically describing things with merely two words, and tried to encompass everything within that two words, but also retained the mysteriousness of the story before the readers could read it.

There are more, but I figure you are already bored by my long-winded post, so I'll come back later. For now: What is your Writing Obsession?

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I like to fuse subtle cultural references into my story.

Like walking through a crowd becomes he split the crowded sea into two as he forced his way through his a triumphant, angry warrior.

I love biblical references, I don't know why.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
IDK, putting in references/foreshadowing to things I plan later in the story and then half of the time forgetting that I made the references?
Either that or dragons, which'll sound weird because there's no dragons in either of my novels. Yet. But honestly, I don't know a single one of my novels, current or ones i plan to do in the future, that won't prominently feature dragons. Or at least a dragon.

Oh, one thing for sure though would be putting way too much thought into a character's name. Apart from earlier in the story where names were literally whatever I could come up with, pretty much everyone in my novels has their name for a reason, whether that's because it fits their personality, or it references their backstory or future, or it just somehow fits with them.

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
Magic system that reflects my views on metaphysics and religious views. And it all must tie into the overall mythos of the shared universe somehow.
I spend hours (maybe not so exaggerated) whenever I introduce some magical spells or things just to confirm to this obsession

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Okay, so I'll add more because I'm obsessive.

I also like the reoccurring phrase and sentence, especially those that, when used, ran parallel to their counterpart.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Oh, one thing for sure though would be putting way too much thought into a character's name. Apart from earlier in the story where names were literally whatever I could come up with, pretty much everyone in my novels has their name for a reason, whether that's because it fits their personality, or it references their backstory or future, or it just somehow fits with them.
This is also me. Literally every name my character have are some way or another, connected to either their personality, backstory, future plot points. They are all derived from Latin words.

Kldran

I traversed the depth of Cliff Hanger, the vast void of Hiatus, and the mysterious land of Foreshadowing.
I notice some rather suspicious capitalization. I have a story named Cliff Hanger already. Do I need to write a Hiatus and Foreshadowing too now?:blob_hmm:

On a more on topic note: while my Cliff Hangar story is an exception, the vast majority of what I write involves some form of self-insert as the main character. Whenever I read or watch fiction, I'm always thinking about how I might do things if I were in the story. So when I'm writing, I'm almost always in the story in some form.

I'm also very fond of dice. When my ideas start to run low, or I get indecisive about something, I'll use a d20 to help me figure out where the story will go. I'll ask the die a question, roll it, and then it tells me to throw out all my ideas and come up with something else. :blob_no:

Edit (since it's too small for a story):
Hiatus, and the mysterious land of Foreshadowing:
"Sir! We received a message from the land of Foreshadowing!"
"What? They've never communicated with us before! Quick, read it already!"
"Uh... it says the Hiatus is coming."
"What's a Hiatus?"

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Like ashes, like dust, my mind drifted across the wind of imagination. Into the wonderland of creativity, I traversed the depth of Cliff Hanger, the vast void of Hiatus, and the mysterious land of Foreshadowing.

Again, that's an example of my 'obsession'. I love to write in prose and metaphysical story. I like to stylize my story towards romanticism, I think. I don't like redundant words, but I also counteractively like long prose that flowed like soft rain on a sunny day. I also am very, very obsessed with Two Words Structure. I just made that name up; it's basically describing things with merely two words, and tried to encompass everything within that two words, but also retained the mysteriousness of the story before the readers could read it.

There are more, but I figure you are already bored by my long-winded post, so I'll come back later. For now: What is your Writing Obsession?
Stop. Get some help

i think i'm obsessed with making sure it's really worth writing, even if i have to destroy the plot completely.

Jemini

Again, that's an example of my 'obsession'. I love to write in prose and metaphysical story. I like to stylize my story towards romanticism, I think. I don't like redundant words, but I also counteractively like long prose that flowed like soft rain on a sunny day. I also am very, very obsessed with Two Words Structure. I just made that name up; it's basically describing things with merely two words, and tried to encompass everything within that two words, but also retained the mysteriousness of the story before the readers could read it.

Going by what I've heard from industry pros, this will actually work to your detriment in the writing industry. Agents really dislike that kinda stuff. I can sorta guess as to why as well. Mostly it's probably due to bad associations (basically, whenever they see that it's associated with repeat bad experiences to come,) while on the more concrete side it's probably because that sorta thing has you paying more attention to your fancy language and not enough to the actual characterization or plot. Just phrasing things in a normal conversational way so you can focus on the important stuff works best.

Unfortunately, your obsession is a lot more difficult to manage than mine. My obsession is including the POV of every significant character whenever their perspective seems interesting to me. How is that less difficult to manage than yours? Well, I can just decide to cut out that entire section of the story during the editing. It hurts to do it, I spent time writing that alternate POV. But, it's something that ultimately harms the story no matter how obsessed I am with the idea to the point it actually renders me unable to write if I attempt to resist the urge.

Last edited:

AryaX

I don't know if they count as "Writing Obsessions" so much as just plain obsessive interests... but all stories I've "tried" to write or wanted to try thus far have had the same core theme... Isekai'ed > Gender Bent > Into a Succubus > followed by "Bdsm" stuff...

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Going by what I've heard from industry pros, this will actually work to your detriment in the writing industry. Agents really dislike that kinda stuff. I can sorta guess as to why as well. Mostly it's probably due to bad associations (basically, whenever they see that it's associated with repeat bad experiences to come,) while on the more concrete side it's probably because that sorta thing has you paying more attention to your fancy language and not enough to the actual characterization or plot. Just phrasing things in a normal conversational way so you can focus on the important stuff works best.

Unfortunately, your obsession is a lot more difficult to manage than mine. My obsession is including the POV of every significant character whenever their perspective seems interesting to me. How is that more difficult to manage? Well, I can just decide to cut out that entire section of the story during the editing. It hurts to do it, I spent time writing that alternate POV. But, it's something that ultimately harms the story no matter how obsessed I am with the idea to the point it actually renders me unable to write if I attempt to resist the urge.
I'll have to say that the fancy words just sorta flow out of mind my. I don't really 'try' to make it prose, but it just becomes like that when my mind starts working. Most of the time it's really just some parallel to the narrative of the story, because I just like sophisticated themes.

I know that the agents like the more direct and cut-throat narrative to grab the audience's expectation and attention. Nevertheless, I don't really mind on making money with my web novel, at least not by reprinting at a traditional publisher.

The worst obsession of mine... is probably sophisticated theme, especially tragedy. It probably deters more readers from my story than everything else combines, which is pretty frustrating, but I've learnt to embrace it.

Yorda

Villainess Yorda the Virtuous Flower of Evil
My obsession is the villainess. Obviously.

However, I also like the use of unsavoury facts, sophistry, desperation, and temptation to make my characters confused or fall to evil! Ohohoho

Also, the harder I try to write well the more pretentious and long-winded my writing becomes. It's a fundamental problem I have with my writing.

Vaerama

The worst obsession of mine... is probably sophisticated theme, especially tragedy. It probably deters more readers from my story than everything else combines, which is pretty frustrating, but I've learnt to embrace it.
Feeling compelled to write tragedy is just the worst. I know in my heart that I could get so many more readers if I wasn’t inclined to pull the rug out from under the main character and them after sinking more than a hundred chapters into the MC.

But there’s just something so special about having an *awesome* literary goal in mind, and providing the readers with plenty of opportunities to anticipate just what kind of tragedy I’m writing. This comes at a personal cost however, for I’m so excited for the *huge* reveals that giving away little things here and there as spoilers has zero effect on me. I’m as excited about my own work as the most super fan-reader that’s ever lived 😭

My husband had to laugh at me when I started squealing with heartfelt adoration for a character I wrote, he said “it’s like you’re watching it happen in front of you!” I’m my own fan, and that’s not necessarily good for the work 😅 It’s a personality thing surely, I laugh at my own jokes too... and they are bad 😭

My obsession with writing is my obsession with ‘the classics’: I leave so many unnecessary artifacts in my writing that the grammar checker endlessly asks ‘would you like to remove the unnecessary word you’ve added?’

My obsession with them is bad enough that I’m currently writing something which sounds like it was written by multiple 19th century authors, then dragged hundreds of years into a post-apocalyptic future. At least, I dearly *hope* that is what it reads like 😰