What ive learned

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
Since I started the journey of writing a novel I've strove for chapters of 1000 words each... that actually ruined my story. So I erased it and started over. Here is what I've learned

Plan out the story: it's OK to have fly-by-wire stories, but knowing where it's going and where it's been will make the process easier.

Word count isn't as important as you think: I aim for around 500, but allow the chapter to decide. Some of the chapters I've written reach 1000, fom 498.

Readers are awesome: and also can be dicks if you don't write the story they think you should write. Ignore the insults, consult the valid criticisms.

My story Sonata of Life will return 1/June/23

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Since I started the journey of writing a novel I've strove for chapters of 1000 words each... that actually ruined my story. So I erased it and started over. Here is what I've learned

Plan out the story: it's OK to have fly-by-wire stories, but knowing where it's going and where it's been will make the process easier.

Word count isn't as important as you think: I aim for around 500, but allow the chapter to decide. Some of the chapters I've written reach 1000, fom 498.

Readers are awesome: and also can be dicks if you don't write the story they think you should write. Ignore the insults, consult the valid criticisms.

My story Sonata of Life will return 1/June/23
I'm sure you will come out of your hiatus like a butterfly (or moth. Moths are pretty cool too)! You got this!

LORD_SHAXX

If you do right as you go, like me. Always keep a hefty backlog. it will allow you to plan out the story more and make changes. sure you can change a published chapter but do this too many times and people will get annoyed

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
I would tell you to make the chapters the size that you think is correct. I don't know how you had planned how to start and how to finish the chapter, but if you ended it feeling satisfied then that's fine. Because maybe trying to reach a fixed number of words you have to fill in or maybe on the contrary eliminate things that you had originally planned to write.

Although at least try not to make it too long, because readers like to be able to complete one chapter per session. But if you make them overwhelmingly long that they have to pause it in the middle of the chapter for another day, this will only make them forget the plot or complain about the size.

In short, only make the chapter as long as that chapter needs to be.