What kind of origin could these swords possibly have?

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
I have this story that I've had in my head for some time. It takes place in the modern world where the characters in the story discover swords that must be held by two people, the other person being the person they are in love or are compatible mates, at least to the standards of that sword. If a person grabs one of these swords, it will point to their soul mate's direction. The main featured story is about a high school girl who grabs one of these swords that belonged to another boy and instantly falls in love with said boy, but is it because she liked him and this is fate or is it the affect of the sword who has given her this infatuation? Is it real love or something artificial? There are other characters I wish to tell about as well as how they deal with these swords and their potential partners.

The reason for these swords to exists is because of those who wield the swords solo but are filled with hate and use the swords power to do terrible things, so it's up to the sword wielders who are filled with love to take them down, but the swords power can only be fully realized when both wielders are using it. Those filled with hate, however, do not need a partner, nor will the sword allow them to.

That's pretty much the gist of the story, but one thing eludes me: the origin of the swords. Why where they made, how did they get lost, and why are they being found after who knows how long? Magic could play a role in this, but this story takes place in the modern world, so I don't know how to implement that aspect into it. Someone had to make these swords, something must have happened to have them scattered, and some event must have made them appear suddenly to be stumbled upon by the characters. I just don't know how and I don't want to leave their origins ambiguous. I was hoping you guys may have some inspiration for their origins.

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
Easy. Mythology.

“According to Greek mythology, humans were originally created with four arms, four legs and a head with two faces. Fearing their power, Zeus split them into two separate parts, condemning them to spend their lives in search of their other halves.” - Plato.

Now, bring Hephaestus to the table. He forged weapons with that 'united' image in mind. But the weapons were too powerful, so he tasked Heracles to hide them as a secret mission in one of the 12 trials.

Now that Hades is gaining power due to high tension in the world with there being rampant racism, murder, hatred, etc. The God of the Underworld found Hephaestus scrolls which said these swords could be used by 1 individual alone through hate.

Aphrodite also found a different scroll, stating these swords could be used by people who love each other, gaining even more power than those filled with hate.

Enter Zeus, he commands the protagonists to find these swords with the promise of eternal life. Each wielder has their own motives, and so...

LET THE MORTAL TOURNAMENT BEGIN!!!

Last edited:

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
Easy. Mythology.

“According to Greek mythology, humans were originally created with four arms, four legs and a head with two faces. Fearing their power, Zeus split them into two separate parts, condemning them to spend their lives in search of their other halves.” - Plato.

Now, bring Hephaestus to the table. He forged weapons with that 'united' image in mind. But the weapons were too powerful, so he tasked Heracles to hide them as a secret mission in one of the 12 trials.

Now that Hades is gaining power due to high tension in the world with there being rampant racism, murder, hatred, etc. The God of the Underworld found Hephaestus scrolls which said these swords could be used by 1 individual alone through hate.

Aphrodite also found a different scroll, stating these swords could be used by people who love each other, gaining even more power than those filled with hate.

Enter Zeus, he commands the protagonists to find these swords with the promise of eternal life. Each wielder has their own motives, and so...

I was gonna say something similar, and point towards Greek mythology, specifically Hephaestus as well. But whatever.

I'd say go with some sort of god/celestial being or just The Creator, having given those 'blessed' swords to their trusted followers. Of course human greed and corruption lead to conflict. Over the course of human history, these swords see the light of day and then fall back into obscurity, and the only signs they ever existed is very vague writings that showed up in journals of people who seem insane, so pretty much nobody knew about them until they started showing up again after being unearthed by some crazy dude who found one in an ancient ruin that came from a civilization never before heard about. Or something like that, idk.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Now that Hades is gaining power due
Hades is a good guy, use Cronus or Typhon or Eris or literally anyone else.
those filled with hate, however, do not need a partner, nor will the sword allow them to

I actually like the split in half thing, and you could even extend it to the weapons. Two halves of scissors (though they shouldn't be joined together again, because scissors are a terrible weapon).

However, my suggestion is to not explain it. The swords appear out of nowhere, nobody explains them or why they exist. You can guess and theorize all you want, but no answer will appear. All you can do is take up the sword, and use it how you see fit.

Considering the nature of the swords, you could also do something a little ironic. The twin blades are made from the blood of a succubus or an envy demon, something that focuses on the existence of others even at the cost of itself. It just accidentally replicates the effect of a soulmate detector. Then the hate sword could be angelic in nature, but since Angels hate humans out of jealousy or arrogance, they replicate hatred and self-loathing.

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
Hades is a good guy, use Cronus or Typhon or Eris or literally anyone else.

I actually like the split in half thing, and you could even extend it to the weapons. Two halves of scissors (though they shouldn't be joined together again, because scissors are a terrible weapon).

However, my suggestion is to not explain it. The swords appear out of nowhere, nobody explains them or why they exist. You can guess and theorize all you want, but no answer will appear. All you can do is take up the sword, and use it how you see fit.

Considering the nature of the swords, you could also do something a little ironic. The twin blades are made from the blood of a succubus or an envy demon, something that focuses on the existence of others even at the cost of itself. It just accidentally replicates the effect of a soulmate detector. Then the hate sword could be angelic in nature, but since Angels hate humans out of jealousy or arrogance, they replicate hatred and self-loathing.
When did I ever state Hades was a bad guy? I only said he gains power with human malice and found a scroll... smh

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
When did I ever state Hades was a bad guy? I only said he gains power with human malice and found a scroll... smh
If he found the scroll that creates the antagonists and wasn't a bad guy, then he would destroy it or hide it. Then there wouldn't be any story...
If it's common sense that bad people can use the sword, then there wouldn't be any reason to find a scroll.
The only reason for him to find a scroll and have it be related to the plot is if he uses the scroll to empower bad people to make himself stronger... Which is a bad guy sorta thing to do. Don't you shake your head at me.

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
If he found the scroll that creates the antagonists and wasn't a bad guy, then he would destroy it or hide it. Then there wouldn't be any story...
If it's common sense that bad people can use the sword, then there wouldn't be any reason to find a scroll.
The only reason for him to find a scroll and have it be related to the plot is if he uses the scroll to empower bad people to make himself stronger... Which is a bad guy sorta thing to do. Don't you shake your head at me.
Why would mortal affairs make Hades a bad guy? These swords can't be used by gods since they are born whole, so Gods may see this whole sword debacle as entertainment.
Or, maybe the styx is running dry and Hades needs hatred to feed it or smth.
*Shakes head in your general direction*

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
If its modern based, lets disect it through the power of science.

Firstly, the materials of the blades themselves. I reckon some ideas but for the simplest sake, lets go with certain brain connection between two host. Those with hate often could be in form with people who have been absorbing too much brain wave powers that they could become invincible yet slowly drains their sanity the more they held upon those swords. As for why two people need to weild a sword and as for how they connect, lets go with the pacific rim route and sync their selves through the sword and merge them into one being capable of weilding such powers.

Then, how they handle their new powers will be basing on the compatibility between two people and a percentage of how they sync with one another. Falling in love with the other person could be explain such that they are connected through one another which highly increases their sync percentage.

I think this actually makes a compeling idea to write a novel based around this one but i mostly just gonna talk about the origin for the weapons.

So, its either in a form of an alien product which fell from earth and can be explain that such species could weild this properly due to higher brain powers than an average humans.

Another explaination could be that it had come from an old age where they face off a powerful being and one person made such weapons to combat them however humans with stronger brains could weild them or people with higher compatibility between one another could also weild it as well.

I left my case for others to prove my own theory.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
If its modern based, lets disect it through the power of science.

Firstly, the materials of the blades themselves. I reckon some ideas but for the simplest sake, lets go with certain brain connection between two host. Those with hate often could be in form with people who have been absorbing too much brain wave powers that they could become invincible yet slowly drains their sanity the more they held upon those swords. As for why two people need to weild a sword and as for how they connect, lets go with the pacific rim route and sync their selves through the sword and merge them into one being capable of weilding such powers.

Then, how they handle their new powers will be basing on the compatibility between two people and a percentage of how they sync with one another. Falling in love with the other person could be explain such that they are connected through one another which highly increases their sync percentage.

I think this actually makes a compeling idea to write a novel based around this one but i mostly just gonna talk about the origin for the weapons.

So, its either in a form of an alien product which fell from earth and can be explain that such species could weild this properly due to higher brain powers than an average humans.

Another explaination could be that it had come from an old age where they face off a powerful being and one person made such weapons to combat them however humans with stronger brains could weild them or people with higher compatibility between one another could also weild it as well.

I left my case for others to prove my own theory.
I find the ideology of soul mates using an inert object feels... sad. Thanks to Rick and Morty, all I can picture is the sword keep on linking to different people at a different times, which brings a sour note to the whole "soul mate" thing.

Then I find it absolutely hilarious that the lone one powered by hate is screaming "RIAJUUS GO EXPLOOOODDDDDEEEE!"
Why would mortal affairs make Hades a bad guy? These swords can't be used by gods since they are born whole, so Gods may see this whole sword debacle as entertainment.
If we are to view things in a simplified manner; you do good to me, you good. Vice versa.

Ignoring ulterior motives, the case becomes a simple finger pointing; I don't care why you did it, but you did good/ bad to me (or in this case, humanity), you good/ bad.

Coveting power of hatred that might be detriment to humanity is leaning to bad...

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Being a god doesn't automatically make them moral. Being entertained by cruelty is the definition of evil. Having a reason to do bad things doesn't make them less bad, either.
alien product
So then, we have gods, demon/angels, aliens. What about !!SCIENCE!! ? The swords were made by humans using experimental tech. Some Military guys found out about VR and were like, "How do we turn it into a weapon?" The soulmate version can stabilize the connection, while the solo version is a prototype that needs to be... retired.

Mechaphobic

There is a legend appearing in my mind with two brothers competing for the love of a woman. She was a very powerful female entity, both of the brothers competed by making her a sword. The two brothers were very different, the first brother was powerful, aloof, and adventurous. He often adventured alone to various locations to collect the items he needed to make his weapons. The other brother was younger, but he was always happiest striking iron in his forge on a rainy day. He was also very well known for his ability to play the flute.

One of the swords is beautiful and ostentatious, This is the older brother's sword that represented his skill and mastery with using precious materials. It was forged entirely of rare and valuable metals, and covered in gems. He was convinced that either sword would be something that even an Emperor would have trouble refusing.

One of the swords is dainty and ethereal. The dainty sword was special though, as it could combine with its mate to form a beautiful combination of fire and wind. This is what the two swords were based on as their inspiration, the air and the heat that was used to forge metal, he wanted his proposal to be analogous to his work. While his swords did not use as precious of materials together they were more beautiful than either sword the older brother made alone.

The woman decided she was tired of the aloof and lonely life she had led as a powerful being, she decided she cast this away to stay with the younger brother instead. The older brother was stunned by her choice, when she left her large sect and manned the counter of his forge, selling tools and kitchenware for the younger brother. The older brother wanted his swords to only be wielded by the most powerful people, the strongest at any cost. That was because he had revered that woman's beauty and strength, and he felt she degraded herself. These swords were soon picked up by all kinds of wicked people and committed all kinds of atrocities.

One day the woman came home from getting groceries, what she found was a door that was smashed in. When she went running through the house yelling the name of her husband, what she found was that the younger brother she had married was killed. The weapon that killed him was the very sword that had been used to propose to her being wielded by a long-haired man she had never seen before. She fought the man desperate for revenge, but in the end, she was unable to hurt him before he escaped. The woman left holding the corpse of her husband alone could only weep before she went to go find the older brother.

When she got to the blacksmith that he had made she found a burnt down shell, and discovered that he had already been killed a few years ago. The killer was wielding one of the swords he had created and wanted to stop the man from making another sword that could compete against his weapon. The woman who was very powerful but lost her reason to go on decided to pass her mission on to the future wielders of the swords her husband had made. Using the last of her lifeforce and a piece of her soul, she etched a purpose into the swords her husband made, and that was to stop the evil that the other swords caused.

I got bored and saw this, and this is what popped into my head in a few minutes. You may use this if you want. I get tired of mythology that has been done before, so I like things that are unique, it feels more fun. I might just be awful at this whole thing though and am just deluding myself.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
There is a legend appearing in my mind with two brothers competing for the love of a woman. She was a very powerful female entity, both of the brothers competed by making her a sword. The two brothers were very different, the first brother was powerful, aloof, and adventurous. He often adventured alone to various locations to collect the items he needed to make his weapons. The other brother was younger, but he was always happiest striking iron in his forge on a rainy day. He was also very well known for his ability to play the flute.

One of the swords is beautiful and ostentatious, This is the older brother's sword that represented his skill and mastery with using precious materials. It was forged entirely of rare and valuable metals, and covered in gems. He was convinced that either sword would be something that even an Emperor would have trouble refusing.

One of the swords is dainty and ethereal. The dainty sword was special though, as it could combine with its mate to form a beautiful combination of fire and wind. This is what the two swords were based on as their inspiration, the air and the heat that was used to forge metal, he wanted his proposal to be analogous to his work. While his swords did not use as precious of materials together they were more beautiful than either sword the older brother made alone.

The woman decided she was tired of the aloof and lonely life she had led as a powerful being, she decided she cast this away to stay with the younger brother instead. The older brother was stunned by her choice, when she left her large sect and manned the counter of his forge, selling tools and kitchenware for the younger brother. The older brother wanted his swords to only be wielded by the most powerful people, the strongest at any cost. That was because he had revered that woman's beauty and strength, and he felt she degraded herself. These swords were soon picked up by all kinds of wicked people and committed all kinds of atrocities.

One day the woman came home from getting groceries, what she found was a door that was smashed in. When she went running through the house yelling the name of her husband, what she found was that the younger brother she had married was killed. The weapon that killed him was the very sword that had been used to propose to her being wielded by a long-haired man she had never seen before. She fought the man desperate for revenge, but in the end, she was unable to hurt him before he escaped. The woman left holding the corpse of her husband alone could only weep before she went to go find the older brother.

When she got to the blacksmith that he had made she found a burnt down shell, and discovered that he had already been killed a few years ago. The killer was wielding one of the swords he had created and wanted to stop the man from making another sword that could compete against his weapon. The woman who was very powerful but lost her reason to go on decided to pass her mission on to the future wielders of the swords her husband had made. Using the last of her lifeforce and a piece of her soul, she etched a purpose into the swords her husband made, and that was to stop the evil that the other swords caused.

I got bored and saw this, and this is what popped into my head in a few minutes. You may use this if you want. I get tired of mythology that has been done before, so I like things that are unique, it feels more fun. I might just be awful at this whole thing though and am just deluding myself.
...cheesy, but nice!

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Hades is a good guy
Yeah, I second this. He's generally altruistic and I don't believe he'd use any sort of evil energy to power Hades or whatever that's being suggested. Hatred's not how Hades is run or even powered - it's just a place the dead go to to get judgement, good and bad. He's pretty much just feared because he's strict and no-nonsense, unlike his younger brothers, but he's pretty fair and just all in all. Do good and he'll reward you; do bad and he'll fuck you over like the two guys who tried to kidnap his brother's daughters LOL

He's kind and even helped Heracles out and let him take his dog out for a walk, if I recall correctly, and he's got enough compassion to feel bad for Orpheus and cry for him before giving him a second chance with Eurydice. In some texts he didn't even think about kidnapping Persephone until his youngest brother gave him that idea. As far as I know, he didn't take sides in the war either when the others did. I can't imagine him taking delight in the suffering of others.

Hades is so misunderstood. Fuck Di$ney for tarnishing him, seriously

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
I have this story that I've had in my head for some time. It takes place in the modern world where the characters in the story discover swords that must be held by two people, the other person being the person they are in love or are compatible mates, at least to the standards of that sword. If a person grabs one of these swords, it will point to their soul mate's direction. The main featured story is about a high school girl who grabs one of these swords that belonged to another boy and instantly falls in love with said boy, but is it because she liked him and this is fate or is it the affect of the sword who has given her this infatuation? Is it real love or something artificial? There are other characters I wish to tell about as well as how they deal with these swords and their potential partners.

The reason for these swords to exists is because of those who wield the swords solo but are filled with hate and use the swords power to do terrible things, so it's up to the sword wielders who are filled with love to take them down, but the swords power can only be fully realized when both wielders are using it. Those filled with hate, however, do not need a partner, nor will the sword allow them to.

That's pretty much the gist of the story, but one thing eludes me: the origin of the swords. Why where they made, how did they get lost, and why are they being found after who knows how long? Magic could play a role in this, but this story takes place in the modern world, so I don't know how to implement that aspect into it. Someone had to make these swords, something must have happened to have them scattered, and some event must have made them appear suddenly to be stumbled upon by the characters. I just don't know how and I don't want to leave their origins ambiguous. I was hoping you guys may have some inspiration for their origins.
Aliens? Once upon a time, there was a god-like species of nomadic creatures that travelled the space. A group of them once settled down on our poor planet and they genetically engineered humans to be their workers.
Since managing humans was hard, they also decided to outsource the job to other humans, giving them the power of enforcement of their rules.
There were a few rebellions, so the aliens gave the power of searching for each other to each manager, as well as made any number of managers working together more powerful than sums of individuals.
Since there were a few power-struggles amongst the managers, they made the weapons enforce a strongly positive feeling amongst the managers.
Since there were problems when a manager suddenly died, and most were simply incompatible with the weapons, they included functions like "searching for the next compatible manager" and such.
Some millions of years later, that history is mostly dead, the aliens are long on their way to other places, and only two surviving relics exist, now purposeless

CheertheDead

The narcissist and Attention Whore :>
Long ago, there is God.
And there are the angels, the caretaker of his world.
Among those are Lucifer, his most beloved child.

Lucifer looked down upon the world, a place of good and evil and humans, those that lived in that swarm of sins and virtues.

These very creatures are those that his Father told him and other angels to treat as their own but what is so great about these mortals?

It is clear that his Father loves these creatures just as much as the angels.

Perhaps it was his Father’s merciful and all-loving nature but Lucifer believe man were unworthy of such love.

And so he made something that would allow man to ascend, the swords of amplification.

The swords pick up best trait of human and amplify them greatly.

Those that are virtuous would love themselves and other just as his Father is. They would seek connections with the world just as his Father is.

But creature that hates the world would hates all equally and hates themselves bringing them to their own doom.

And so the trial has been set. It is up to mankind to settle thing themselves. Good will and malice. Love and war. Selflessness and selfishness.

High above the table, the pieces are moving.

LesserSarcasm

Ug greek gods overdone egyptian slavic or celtic would make this interesting so many european mythos you can use just think witcher.

LoliGent

The Lolicon Gentleman
Easy. Mythology.

I didn't even know about this. This was interesting and very coincidental to the theme of my work. I'm definitely going to look this up and see if I can use it. However, some people are saying they're tired of the typical myths. Well, it's only backstory, so perhaps it won't be so bad if I just keep it that way. But this may be what I was looking for in terms of explanation.

I like this angle as well. Though I would prefer if the female entity was a goddess and the two brother's were lesser gods. I know I said this story takes place in modern times, but I would prefer the backstory to the blades to be ancient to give it mysticism. But I like the idea. I'll consider it.

And thanks to everyone for their suggestions as well.:s_smile:

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
Yeah, I second this. He's generally altruistic and I don't believe he'd use any sort of evil energy to power Hades or whatever that's being suggested. Hatred's not how Hades is run or even powered - it's just a place the dead go to to get judgement, good and bad. He's pretty much just feared because he's strict and no-nonsense, unlike his younger brothers, but he's pretty fair and just all in all. Do good and he'll reward you; do bad and he'll fuck you over like the two guys who tried to kidnap his brother's daughters LOL

He's kind and even helped Heracles out and let him take his dog out for a walk, if I recall correctly, and he's got enough compassion to feel bad for Orpheus and cry for him before giving him a second chance with Eurydice. In some texts he didn't even think about kidnapping Persephone until his youngest brother gave him that idea. As far as I know, he didn't take sides in the war either when the others did. I can't imagine him taking delight in the suffering of others.

Hades is so misunderstood. Fuck Di$ney for tarnishing him, seriously
I mean, I'm just trying to help a bro with a setting, not starting a conversation about the true moral compass of a god from a dead religion of a long gone civilization...
If people want to make Hades a bad guy, they can as much as ppl make our own version of Gods.
I mean, if you want accurate olympians just watch porn with plot lmao

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
I mean, I'm just trying to help a bro with a setting, not starting a conversation about the true moral compass of a god from a dead religion of a long gone civilization...
If people want to make Hades a bad guy, they can as much as ppl make our own version of Gods.
I mean, if you want accurate olympians just watch porn with plot lmao
Hera be like: "stepbrother, what are you doing"

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
Ug greek gods overdone egyptian slavic or celtic would make this interesting so many european mythos you can use just think witcher.
So the same concept but different names...
Gotchu:
So you have [Insert 'creanonist theory linked to soulmates and the human shape' here that every religion has]
Then you have [Insert deity in charge of construction/forging/metallurgy here] who forged the weapons. Then they asked [Mortal hero that carries the allegory of facing challenges with bravery and maybe you will become a god] who hides the swords.
Then you have [Insert deity from the underworld/deity of chaos here] who is linked to the use of hatred.
Then you have [Insert deity of sex/love here] who finds about the love aspect.
Enter [All father of Gods/Divine Ruler/King of Gods] who begins the whole thing by tempting mortals.
Now replace with any polytheist religion u want, it works with Hinduism, Shinto, Baltic, Egyptian, Any folklore.